Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 7:38 pm

We're taught to love our families unconditionally, but it's human nature to dislike certain people regardless of bloodlines (or legal arrangements).

So basically... are there any family members you just can't stand? You certainly don't have to say why if you're not comfortable doing so.

Nikolai
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2007, 7:40 pm

I dislike all of them immensely.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 7:45 pm

My eldest brother. (Nausea, vomiting sounds heard.)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:14 pm

I'm not terribly fond of my father.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:14 pm

most everyone!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:15 pm

My father, my paternal aunt and her current husband, my cousins on that side of the family.

On sabbatical...

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2007, 8:25 pm

I really don't like my father and his crazy family.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:27 pm

My cousins. I have nothing in common with them.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:32 pm

yeah, just about all of them. Blood doesn't make you a family, actions do. And my parents decided by their actions that they don't want to be family.

I imagine some of my extended family would have been okay if not for my parents continually lyig through their teeth about me to them, and of course the extended family believed the parents. Though I imagine they are now questioning alot of that is quite a bit of what they were told has been undeniably proven to be false. Still, I see no reason to seek any family out because of the past

Nikolai
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2007, 8:37 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
yeah, just about all of them. Blood doesn't make you a family, actions do.

I hear that! Image

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:49 pm

My mother because she is an attention-seeking bully. She liked to be physically assaultive when I was young, and enjoys indulging in daily temper tantrums to this day. Now that I am no longer available for her to yell at, lie to/about, manipulate and use, she yells at my father every time she sees him, which is at meals. She deliberately starts fights so she can yell at people - I think she feeds off the energy in some kind of parasitical way or something. She views the other people in the family as things for her to use for her own selfish purposes, not as other people with feelings, values and purposes that are important. Only she has feelings, etc.

I used to feel protective of my father because I stupidly believed he didn't know what was going on, but once it became clear that he did know and he just didn't feel protective enough of his children to stop her, I let him lie in the bed he had made. If he had bothered to stop her tantrums when he was younger and more spry, he wouldn't be having to put up with them now (if he had succeeded; since he never tried, I don't know for sure if he could have had any effect on her nasty, selfish behavior.)

I agree with Triangular Trees-it's how people treat each other that makes you family, not bloodlines.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:07 pm

To answer my own thread, I despise my older sister. She's always looking for attention so she takes advantage of our mom's kindness, and she bullies our little brother. She's afraid to be left alone for too long, so she always comes over to our house and calls my mom at least 15 times a day on the phone. She's also very jealous of me, wishing she could have disabilities so she could get a check every month like I do. She's a hypochondriac and runs to the doctor for every little thing. She's very overweight, and though she eats fast food every other day she blames her thyroid and birth control and never does any exercise.

You'd expect this kind of behavior from a teenager. But guess what? she'll be 27 this month. She's married and has two kids, but she is a second rate mother. She always yells at her son and spanks him over minor infractions and it is very clear by the way she acts that she favors her young daughter over him. Said daughter is very obese, weighing over 20 pounds at only 7 months old and being so spoiled that at one point she would scream if her mother didn't hold her.

My sister has also deeply hurt me in the past by saying (behind my back of course) that I was exaggerating my Asperger's and other psychological problems for attention.

If actions are what make a family and not bloodlines, my sister is a total stranger to me.

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2007, 9:53 pm

Hmm, there are few people i "dislike all the way through", but countless about whom there are a few odds and ends that I may not like. But we have someone in the family who's either disliked or only barely tolerated by just about everyone else in the family. She doesn't have kids of her own, and a standing joke about her is that she dislikes children, particularly other people's kids... :wink:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

I don't dislike any of them... I dislike some things some of them have said and done, but I like a lot of what they said and did too. :)

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:46 pm

I have a cousin I can't stand. She's a materialistic yuppie who has stopped having anything to do with me (I'm certain because she doesn't want my autistic kids around), but I like her husband. He's a nice, thoughtful guy. I'm amazed he puts up with her.

Other than her, i get along with my family members ranging from fairly well to very well.

And, I love my wife and children, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law (my wife's sister).

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2007, 11:08 pm

I don't like most of my extended family and immediate family relationship isn't fairing to well. Must I have an aunt who can't is a poor mother and just wants to absorb money she doesn't have. Her kids have to feed themselves while she just sleeps all day and she only cares about superfical things. Bleh. She doesn't even clean her own house she can't afford. My cousin once tried to run me over with her new bike while the rest of the family had a good laugh. Now I hear that she is pregnant and I just think that it is expected with the behavior she has displayed in the past. How can you feel sorry for someone who plays with fire and subsequently gets burned? Everyone else jsut expects me to be a certain way, they expect me to know then and feel empathy for them why they do stupid things. But at the same time they make no effort to know me or understand me so I have no idea why I should give any of them the time of day. After I leave home I will never see any of my immediate family ever again. Except my grandpa, I love him.