Do You Have a Narcissistic Personality?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

How many narcissistic personality traits did you score? (See original post.)
None: 0 to 6 33%  33%  [ 16 ]
None: 0 to 6 33%  33%  [ 16 ]
Mild: 7 to 10 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Mild: 7 to 10 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Moderate: 11 to 14 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Moderate: 11 to 14 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Severe: 15 to 18 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Severe: 15 to 18 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 9:24 pm

See also: Do You Have a Schizoid Personality?
And Do You Have an Obsessive-Compulsive Personality?
And Do You Have an Antisocial Personality?
And Do You Have an Avoidant Personality?

Asperger's syndrome and narcissistc personality disorder have some features in common: empathy deficits and self-orientation. I am curious to know how many of my fellow aspies at WrongPlanet.net have chosen self-love to the exlusion of loving others (i.e., pathological narcissism).

For each criterion of narcissistic personality disorder, decide how well it applies to you personally. If it doesn't apply at all, score it as 0; if it is somewhat applicable, score it as 1; and, if it describes you quite well, score it as a 2. The minimum possible score is 0; the maximum possible score is 18. For a DSM-IV-TR diagnosis of 301.81 (ICD-9-CM code) narcissistic personality disorder, five criteria must be met. I measured myself as having a score of 6.

DSM-IV-TR wrote:
(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 10:18 pm

I got an 8. I'm very ego-centric, etc.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 4:45 am

I am glad that someone else has been looking into these topics, as this is exactly what I have been doing these last few days or so.

NeantHumain wrote:
(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

1 - used to be accused of it and partially true; but no longer.
3 - used to think that I was highly intelligent and that I was fairly 'unique'. This has transformed itself into merely being 'misunderstood'.
7 - less 'unwilling' than 'unable' on many occasions
8 - sometimes envious of others (or more importantly, disappointed in self), though less so these days.
9 - been accused of this, but never had it proven - often seemed to me that others behaved like that to myself.

The points omitted are ones that I think do not really apply and those I have listed (with qualification) only apply to some degree. So yes, there are narcissistic traits within myself, so I put a 'moderate' score.

I'll read the question properly next time, so here goes:

1 - 1; 2 - 0; 3 - 1; 4 - 0; 5 - 0; 6 - 0; 7 - 1; 8 - 1; 9 - 1 = 5

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 8:14 am

yeah i got 8, that quiz made me feel weird.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 4:09 pm

none-I got one point for number 7

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2005, 3:51 pm

I got 8 too. I was quite surprised.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 11:16 pm

A few thingies before I score myself:

Quote:
(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

Is it so unusual to be preoccupied with the idea of an ideal love? :? Seems pretty sensible to me.

Quote:
(4) requires excessive admiration

"Bah! I have no need to have the respect of others! I am so far above them that it does not matter what such insects think! nyahahaha!!"
...Wouldn't such a person be very narcissistic without fulfilling this criterion? :roll:

For a few of these I'm stuck between 0-1, so its about 6-9

Kerrigan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2005, 11:20 pm

I dont have much empathy, but else then that.. Nothing.
:)
I like better to be hated then to be admired. It may sound weird but thats how I am.. Though both sucks ofcourse.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2005, 6:25 am

I'm not narcissistic at all. You could have just messaged me if you wanted to know... you didn't have to make a whole public forum just to find out!

istartedi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2005, 9:04 pm

You should just be bowing down and worshiping me because I am so beautiful. Send a fax to my people and I'll have one of my peons review your request. :)

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 7:47 pm

I scored a 7, but I think the traits that I gave myself points for have more to do with insecurity than narcissism.

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2005, 3:00 pm

I think I got around a five, but that was probably due to extensive denial. I really do believe that I am "special", and I live within a fantasy world, but just because I am the most important being on my own planet does not mean that I would like my existence acknowledged by persons on Earth.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 3:15 pm

I got 3, maximum.

I am an absolute stickler for equality, but I always fantasise about things, especially a true love.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 3:36 pm

Most of why I rated myself as a six has to do with how others have told me they thought of my behavior. I have been told that sometimes I seem distant or aloof or my manner of speaking is haughty and pretentious. I also have a hope, you might even call it an obsession, of finding a woman who I would love and who would love me. I have also been told, especially by my mom, that I am somewhat wanting for empathy. I do know that occasionally I have an incredible sense of entitlement—not as in thinking I'm some VIP who needs to be catered to—I tend to believe that, when things go badly for me, people should make it up to me, magically. I feel that, if I have a certain kind of desire which I won't mention here, I need it fulfilled; it frustrates me that I go without it; I become quite angry at others, who I believe act like buffoons, get what I desire so badly. Honestly, I sometimes feel like cutting them all down to remove competition for women after so much frustration. I had a more grandiose sense of self-worth as a child than now; if anything, now I have a very self-deprecating attitude. I remember, though, in second grade, thinking I was so extremely smart because that's what I'd always been told. I thought I was even smarter and more knowledgeable than my teachers simply because they made a few factual mistakes in things like geography. In third grade, in a discussion about voting, I suggested a test be implemented to determine knowledge and awareness of the issues at stake. I said age restrictions were beside the point. Of course, I believed I would pass handily on such a test and many adults would not.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 7:07 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Most of why I rated myself as a six has to do with how others have told me they thought of my behavior. I have been told that sometimes I seem distant or aloof or my manner of speaking is haughty and pretentious. I also have a hope, you might even call it an obsession, of finding a woman who I would love and who would love me. I have also been told, especially by my mom, that I am somewhat wanting for empathy. I do know that occasionally I have an incredible sense of entitlement—not as in thinking I'm some VIP who needs to be catered to—I tend to believe that, when things go badly for me, people should make it up to me, magically. I feel that, if I have a certain kind of desire which I won't mention here, I need it fulfilled; it frustrates me that I go without it; I become quite angry at others, who I believe act like buffoons, get what I desire so badly. Honestly, I sometimes feel like cutting them all down to remove competition for women after so much frustration. I had a more grandiose sense of self-worth as a child than now; if anything, now I have a very self-deprecating attitude. I remember, though, in second grade, thinking I was so extremely smart because that's what I'd always been told. I thought I was even smarter and more knowledgeable than my teachers simply because they made a few factual mistakes in things like geography. In third grade, in a discussion about voting, I suggested a test be implemented to determine knowledge and awareness of the issues at stake. I said age restrictions were beside the point. Of course, I believed I would pass handily on such a test and many adults would not.

Mm.. I can relate to a lot of that... All I can really tell you is that I've tried to act the buffoon in attempts to fit in, meet women... It doesn't work, something about my act doesn't quite 'click' right with them and so it doesn't work. And the one time it did work I was disappointed with the experience and disgusted with myself :cry: Lately I've been having a lot of trouble finding an obsession that wasn't just entertainment of one sort or another (or occassionally class) and I think that might have a lot to do with trying to put on this act for so long... Just feeling drained by it. Anyway, this doesn't really have anything to o with Narcissism, I'm just saying enjoy your obsesssion with psychology because its a good'un and a useful one.