Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 8:12 am

Of possible interest - BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7090602.stm

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 8:20 am

That's really interesting. It kind of backs up my gut feeling that the ADHD problems that I see in my young son are a kind of immaturity, and even though he may not completely catch up, there will come a time that he will develop and be able to do the things that have been difficult so far. We can see this already -- this year, where his demands are MUCH more than they've been in elementary school, has been much more successful for him. Difficult, but successful. He seems to rise to the demands - while still being forgetful and not "getting" everything all the time, but this is happening much less often as he is expected to handle more on his own.

Kris

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2007, 10:13 am

"mong the 223 youngsters with ADHD, half of 40,000 cortex sites examined reached peak thickness at 10.5, compared to age 7.5 in a matched group without the disorder."

I wonder if these children were taking medication, like methylphenidate. Methylphenidate may slow down growth. Could it also slow down the growth of the brain?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 11:31 am

It's important to keep in mind that according to the study, these kids are only immature in some ways (behaviorally and neurologically). They are otherwise equal to their peers and some may be more mature in other areas.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2007, 2:32 am

And isn't it opposite to what the found out about autistic brain? I read somewhere that brains of autists are larger in childhood than brain of their NT-peers.