Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:05 pm

Anubis wrote:
Definitely not. He's an outright NT alpha male.

seriously.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 12:33 pm

‘I’m old school and I’ve been around since M&Ms* were called Treets, and they’re sweets, and boys like you will get eat on these streets.’ - Skinnyman

The above quote was taken from an impromptu freestyle battle the first time Eminem appeared in london. I just found out from this interview that Skinnyman has tourettes, which is often co-morbid with ASD/PDD's. http://www.eminemweb.com/board/showthread.php?t=10918

*It actually took me a while to get the sweets reference (M&M sounds like Eminem) Thats one of the things i love about hip-hop; the metaphors & wordplay - i can listen to something over & over and still discover new layers of meaning.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:17 pm

No, and I hate all these thread saying "X person has AS" when they have virtually no traits to show this to be the case.

Bightme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2007, 4:10 pm

aspiebeauty87 wrote:
Sometimes I think so cuz he has aspie traits :)

The fact that he stands around pretending to be an impoverished black man of seemingly low intelligence, who harks on about largely self/culturally fulfilled hardships, whilst holding his crotch in an inane and inappropriate manner, leads me to kinda hope that he isn't. Sorry if that sounds bigoted, I guess I never will "get it". :?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:34 pm

ghostgurl wrote:
No, and I hate all these thread saying "X person has AS" when they have virtually no traits to show this to be the case.

Yeah, it's really annoying. hey you guys, how about Bush? he could be aspie, because he's always bumbling around! :roll:

psych
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 6:24 pm

aguales wrote:
It would not surprise me if Eminem was an Aspie. I don't know why people cry foul at the possiblity of him being an Aspie unless they just dislike rap music and don't want anything Aspie associated with it. .... But it's hard to really tell who's an Aspie and who isn't in the already weird panorama of pop culture.

QFT.

Most people posting will only know him from his media image, so will lack the more intimate insights into his personal life that the OP may have. Many musicians have a sort of alter-ego, a stage precence that they regard as seperate from themselves.

It is sad that people are so quick to 'cry foul' on these threads (and many others - politics etc)- i think to some extent it comes from insecurity - they develop a strong urge to identify with the holy 'AS' label, building it up into a critical part of their self-image (inevitable) & self-esteem (optional), then they feel they have to defend its integrity against any personality traits they dont like, as if somehow that would reflect badly on them?

The fact is people on the spectrum are all different - we all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Some of us will have unusually strong 'mirroring' abilities and the ability to 'fake' an NT-like persona for large amounts of time, and be clever enough to cover themselves when they cant and need to retreat into their own space. A 'fake' persona is easy to maintain if you dont know anything about ASD's as you have no reference points - you dont know that its fake. Its common for us diagnosed late in life to read a lot about autism then suddenly 'regress' for a year or so, as the 'fakeness' is allowed to fade away and all the suppressed aspieness comes flooding out. (ill be sure to buy that eminem album if it ever happens! :D )

Of course sometimes people will be tempted to do the opposite for the same reasons - they seek to project AS criteria onto their idols for the same reasons - to add some favourable traits to their identified label, and by extension - themselves. I have more sympathy with this side. I would probably do it myself, if i hadnt found the label only a few years ago - as such it doesnt have any emotional importance to me.

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2007, 12:52 am

again u guys are seeing his media persona of him. None of you see the person outside of that.... & I think half of the people that just posted are old & not in touch with anything youthful, that's why u don't get why I come to these conclusions....

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 1:31 am

aspiebeauty87 wrote:
again u guys are seeing his media persona of him. None of you see the person outside of that.... & I think half of the people that just posted are old & not in touch with anything youthful, that's why u don't get why I come to these conclusions....

WTF does youthful have to do with eminiem and aspergers? he doesn't have it. and yes, i am in touch with whats youthful, seeing as i'm 16.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 4:26 am

psych wrote:
aguales wrote:
It would not surprise me if Eminem was an Aspie. I don't know why people cry foul at the possiblity of him being an Aspie unless they just dislike rap music and don't want anything Aspie associated with it. .... But it's hard to really tell who's an Aspie and who isn't in the already weird panorama of pop culture.

QFT.

Most people posting will only know him from his media image, so will lack the more intimate insights into his personal life that the OP may have. Many musicians have a sort of alter-ego, a stage precence that they regard as seperate from themselves.

It is sad that people are so quick to 'cry foul' on these threads (and many others - politics etc)- i think to some extent it comes from insecurity - they develop a strong urge to identify with the holy 'AS' label, building it up into a critical part of their self-image (inevitable) & self-esteem (optional), then they feel they have to defend its integrity against any personality traits they dont like, as if somehow that would reflect badly on them?

The fact is people on the spectrum are all different - we all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Some of us will have unusually strong 'mirroring' abilities and the ability to 'fake' an NT-like persona for large amounts of time, and be clever enough to cover themselves when they cant and need to retreat into their own space. A 'fake' persona is easy to maintain if you dont know anything about ASD's as you have no reference points - you dont know that its fake. Its common for us diagnosed late in life to read a lot about autism then suddenly 'regress' for a year or so, as the 'fakeness' is allowed to fade away and all the suppressed aspieness comes flooding out. (ill be sure to buy that eminem album if it ever happens! :D )

Of course sometimes people will be tempted to do the opposite for the same reasons - they seek to project AS criteria onto their idols for the same reasons - to add some favourable traits to their identified label, and by extension - themselves. I have more sympathy with this side. I would probably do it myself, if i hadnt found the label only a few years ago - as such it doesnt have any emotional importance to me.

Brilliant post, instead of presenting any facts you just attack people and label them "insecure". Good job, you must have a degree in Pop Psychology right?

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:47 am

double post

Last edited by psych on 02 Dec 2007, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:48 am

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
psych wrote:
aguales wrote:

QFT.

Brilliant post, instead of presenting any facts you just attack people and label them "insecure". Good job, you must have a degree in Pop Psychology right?

I havent pretended to present any facts re. insecurity, notice the 'i think' (highlighted) in the second paragraph :wink:

I dont feel like ive 'attacked' anyone.

BrotherSmurf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2007, 1:51 pm

Unless he admits to being a Doctor Who fan he is definitely NOT an aspie.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 2:48 am

psych wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
psych wrote:
aguales wrote:

QFT.

I havent pretended to present any facts re. insecurity, notice the 'i think' (highlighted) in the second paragraph :wink:

I dont feel like ive 'attacked' anyone.

Ok ok so that's just your opinion and it had no bearing on this Topic right? As in it didn't need to be posted, because it was likely to stir people up. After all people don't usually like other people saying that they're insecure or even insecure "to some extent" it's pure speculation.

I'm terribly sorry, really I am. I should have known that you're actually skilled at dodging the issue too. You haven't tried to prove any of what you've said about Eminem, you've just acted like everyone else is "not in the know" while you are. "Most people posting will only know him from his media image, so will lack the more intimate insights into his personal life that the OP may have. Many musicians have a sort of alter-ego, a stage precence that they regard as seperate from themselves." So where are these insights? You've talked about them but you haven't been very up front about them. You've mentioned that other people project onto their Idols and it seems like you're doing exactly that, unless you can come up with some reason for me to believe otherwise, and I really would like you to.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson