Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skrimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2007, 2:35 pm

I tried the GF/CF diet with my own son because he had big tantrum issues that included head banging. Upon removing casein I noticed an immediate improvement to his behaviour. The head banging stopped and tantrums lessened considerably. I didn't notice a change removing gluten.

After a year of casein free I re-introduced dairy foods starting with butter, then yogurt and old fashioned cheeses, then finally milk from grass-fed cows (non-homogenized). He has been fine with these and has about 8oz of milk daily and cheese/yogurt one-two times a week. Butter is used liberally. I go to these great pains with dairy b/c I don't want my kids getting those hormones and because if he eats processed dairy I still notice effects.

Now, I have to agree with the previous poster who said that ASD people seem to have more allergies. And gut issues. I think to say it's quackery is quackery. Heh.

My partner cannot eat gluten. He is in horrible pain if he doesn't. I didn't notice a difference with my son without gluten, but I have most certainly noticed when my partner is in horrible pain from eating gluten.

To the poster who said that they'd die without gluten and casein, I'm pretty sure my sweetie would come close to dying if he were forced to eat gluten.

I find casein free/gluten free cooking to be so incredibly easy it's not funny. Much of the world eats a casein free gluten free diet!! ! Now I love love love love love dairy. But it's just as easy to make tasty foods that don't have it. I also cook mostly from scratch, very very little processed stuff (and none of those fake foods made gluten free to pretend to be the gluten foods...) I also limit sugar and food dyes, etc. Though we do do occasional treats ^.^

SophiasMom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Nov 2007, 3:48 pm

Hi!

I'm new. We are trying the GFCF deit wit our 29 month old daughter. About 3 weeks after cutting out casien she became far more verbal. Sophia went from saying only nouns to pronouns, & then small sentences. Sophia began interacting with other members of our family a bit more. The other day she even spoke to a stranger complete with eye contact.
Coincidence? Maybe, but for now if nothing else she hasn't had any issues with constipation in the month & 1/2 we've been following the diet & that alone is all the result I need to keep it up.