Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 3:51 am

I find it very easy to understand sarcasm

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 4:33 pm

Not being able to tell sarcasm apart from normal speech got me thrown out of an IRC channel and vaguely ended with me thrown out of that channel's forum. I want to get back on that channel and forum, but I want to hide my identity, so they can't detect me.

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2007, 2:07 pm

Orwell wrote:
My main problem is that I am rather fond of the use of sarcasm, but do not have enough control over the tone of my voice to make my sarcasm apparent to others.

Me too! It's frustrating.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:44 pm

My friend often interprets me as being sarcastic, when I'm not being sarcastic.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 2:45 pm

Berserker wrote:
Why can't we aspies detect sarcasm? It's so hard when Kalister1 says stuff to me, because I think it's sarcasm, but I don't know if it is or not!!

Ehm, I'm really good at using sarcasm...but not so awesome at understanding it.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 3:11 pm

If sarcasm isn't expressed in someone's tone of voice, it's quite a possible thing I'll turn out to be unable to detect it (specially if sarcasm is subtle) - it happened to me several times.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 5:31 pm

It is an "art" that is better left alone, as it usually disguises a great deal of anger. If you're going to be angry, why not just be angry. You get your message across and there is no doubt about what you mean.

As for understanding it, it's mostly tone of voice, and Aspies have trouble with it.

I say, say exactly what you mean (It is one of my problems). You'll probably lose a friend, but maybe you'll react differently to the situation next time, especially when you realize that you kind of liked the person you were nasty to.

Ah apologies. Good for the soul. And you are always the better for it.....and the target of your sarcastic remarks will usually like you enough to accept a sincerely worded apology.

"I'm sorry, that was an awful thing to say. I should have kept my mouth shut. It isn't you, it's me, and I'm working on it. I hope you understand. Please. I still like you."

It often works. Being an anger problem, I have often had to put that little phrase to use. But you have to mean it.
btdt

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2007, 7:27 pm

I use sarcasm myself all the time yet have trouble spotting others using it. Same goes for others attempting to spot my sarcasm.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 5:26 am

My parents used sarcasm a lot when I was younger so now I can pick it up really easily as well as use it to excess myself. I have had problems with people taking me seriously when I was in fact being sarcastic.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:23 pm

I've been told I have 'a smart mouth'. Now if the rest of me would just catch up..;)

I can dish it out better than understanding it coming back at me.