Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kicken18
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2007, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Well I saw one vote and it Oasis- Definately Maybe at number 1. Wrong, only the best bands make it big on both sides of the Atlantic, they haven't. Don't get me wrong, some of their songs are very good, but they never change. Here's my top 10, i've limited myself to one album per band, otherwise i'd be biast and fill it up with Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin

Sorry but that is just aragant biased, you don't need to be sucsessful in America and England to be counted as "best album" I mean, let us take Underworld who are very sucsessful in Europe, Asia, America and Australia and I would quite happily put 1 or 2 of their albums in a top 10. Oasis are a great band, and just because they are not sucsessful in America, doesn't mean they do not deserve to be in any top 10. But, in no particular order;

Underworld - 100 days off
St Germain - Tourist
Oasis - Definately Maybe
Prodigy - The fat of the Land
The Chemicle Brothers - Dig your own whole
Orbital - The Brown Album
A tribe called quest - beats, rhymes and life
Fat Boy Slim - You've come a long way, baby
MJ Cole – Sincere

I will add my last as best mix - Sasha&Digweed Heavy Duty Tour in Miami

To be honest though, there isn't really a top 10, there can be, say a 100 great, but all is biased, and personal choice, there are too many good albums accross every genra to have anything as best or even in a 100 list

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2007, 5:08 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
jshaw wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
I prefer- Up the bracket, by the Libertines. In Utero is Nirvana's best album in my opinion too. I like Oasis-Definately Maybe, i'm not a big Oasis fan though. The Smiths- The queen is dead, thats a great album.

Hmm yeah im a bit divided as to wether i like Up the Bracket or the second album more, i guess it could be a joint place for those two lol.

As for the queen is dead, especially the opening track, absolutely epic, Moriseys lyrics are fantstic, sad, jolly funny and dark at the same time, and Marr's guitar playing is unique, and the bass, ive tried learning a few Smiths songs on bass, but the bass is too good for me so far and i cant keep up haha.

And I only like Oasises second albumn, I think after that they became to arrogant.

Joe ;)

I think after up the bracket, the libertines were on their way down. On their 2nd album Pete and Carl were not really on the same page, it was still a good album though. They could have been such a great band. I know what you mean about the smith's lyrics :P . I love- there's a light that never goes out. I only have Oasis's first 2 albums. Even on their second album, I can sense their downfall. Read your pm, if you could. :wink:

Up The Bracket is a sublime album. A lot of people rip it aprt saying it is overrated and would take any chance to take stab at Pete Doherty.

Its no masterpiece of course, but it captures the london atmosphere/indie scene perfectly.

Not a fan of the second album although it does have "Music when the lights go out".

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2007, 5:13 pm

I probably have too short an attention span to come up with top ten, plus its always changing anyway.

I guess I need to get the following in there:

Radiohead - OK Computer
Beatles - Abbey Road
Velvet Underground & Nico
Pixies - Debaser
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Postal Service - Give Up
Electric President
Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

.. oh wait thats nearly ten, i love it when i get carried away.