Would you rather be neurotypical or hav Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you rather be neurotypical or have Asperger'syndrom.
I would rather be neurotypical. 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
I would rther have Asperger's syndrome. 73%  73%  [ 89 ]
Total votes : 122

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 12:15 pm

The answer to this question seems obvious, but I am not so sure after reading some of the threads on this board.

I am not looking for any debate. One or the other. All or nothing of each.

Last edited by InSpades on 25 Nov 2007, 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:17 pm

I wish I had the social skills of an NT. But I don't mind having the rational capabilities that AS provides. Edit: After some thinking I'd rather be neurotypical. I'd still have some of my personality traits if I were an NT, but my social skills would be better, my grades would have been better in school, I'd have a job, a girlfriend and I wouldn't be depressed.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Last edited by Reodor_Felgen on 25 Nov 2007, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:18 pm

I would love to be more social, but I'd rather keep my intelligence where it is.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 12:19 pm

I find flaws in both. I don't see a problem with working with what you already have. If NT's were forced into changing, they wouldn't take it well either.

I personally am starting to feel that it shouldn't be considered a negative syndrome. If it was all negatives and no positive then yes but considering it's not the case, I don't feel like I am a syndrome.

xx Dan Monster

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 12:19 pm

I prefer having Aspergers. It makes me unique, and without it, I don't believe I could excel or enjoy math, Latin or art without them as much as I do now. I guess that also includes rollerblading. I simply wouldn't be me without Aspergers, and being a geek isn't all that bad. Sure, I don't make as many friends as other people do, or engage in the same activities they do, but it is better to have a few good friends than lots of friends you can't keep track of, and ones that you may end up not liking in the end. As long as I enjoy doing the things I do, I could ask for no more, and don't need to engage in more social activities, so long as my lifestyle does not require it, or it's not necessary except for something like work. The parts I enjoy most about Aspergers is the distinct and unique interests in particular subjects that makes me good at them, the ability to separate emotions from logic and think logically (I guess that includes being insensitive though; I'm still fine with it) and being able to bear being lonely when others cannot.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:25 pm

rather be a bit more normal. I'm at the point in my career path where all the avenues lead to management of people, not things or data. Mainly I'd just like to be able to cope better with the people around me.

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2007, 12:37 pm

I'd like to be somewhere between but lean toward AS. There are benefits and detriments to both. So I can't answer your question honestly.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:42 pm

I don't know anymore. I don't know anything anymore.

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 12:44 pm

NT.

it suits my character more ^_^

i should be born as samoyed XD

daniel23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2007, 12:52 pm

Quote:
wish I had the social skills of an NT. But I don't mind having the rational capabilities that AS provides. Edit: After some thinking I'd rather be neurotypical. I'd still have some of my personality traits if I were an NT, but my social skills would be better, my grades would have been better in school, I'd have a job, a girlfriend and I wouldn't be depressed.

All applys to me :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:03 pm

I'd rather be AS. All the younger NTs that I see on the sidewalks, are all jerks.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather be AS. All the younger NTs that I see on the sidewalks, are all jerks.

I agree with this comment.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Rossi

25 Nov 2007, 1:07 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
if I were an NT, but my social skills would be better, my grades would have been better in school, I'd have a job, a girlfriend and I wouldn't be depressed.

...and you had wings and could fly ... ?

Honestly - how do you know ? How do you know what your life would be like if you were a totally different personality ?
There are AS people who do very well in a successful and fulfilled life, there are NT people who do extremely bad, live in poverty, suffer sickness, unemployed, homeless !

Neurotypical is not a synonym for happy/successful/carefree

This poll is absolutely meaningless

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 1:09 pm

BTW, I've seen what you write at autism speaks. You are clearly not very open minded towards those with AS and also think all with AS scream and throw fits over textures of food? Are you sure you have AS? You come across as very judgemental and a complete self loather if you do.

Also, who wants to be a syndrome? Neurotypical can be a syndrome. Instead you decided the question should be would you rather be neurotypical or have a syndrome which is a good indicator that the way you mentioned syndrome after just plainly stating neurotypical shows which one you are for and against.

Some days I wish I could be more neurotypical but when I am me and have some people approach me to have conversations about their money, cars, houses and all the stuff they buy everyday, I find that to be very boring.

When I talk about what I find to be interesting such as politics, science and studies, music they find that to be boring. Who gets the label of syndrome? I do of course. What that really means underneath it all is that it's okay to claim another person's interests and hobbies are boring and bad even though it brings them great pleasure and another person's hobbies as valid and appropriate.

Which hobby will bring you more money. It's all that matters. That to me symbolizes a disruption in balance and all of these talks of diversity is a bunch of bull.

I'd much rather speak to an honest person than someone who is full of it or hints or beats around the bush. Is that difference bad? Well it is if you are a hinter manipulative type. Is it good for me? It sure is.

I'm much happier being me than some drug induced zombie because others can't handle my differences.

xx Dan Monster

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 1:18 pm

Kitsy wrote:
You come across as very judgemental and a complete self loather if you do.

I am a self loather. I have done what few people have the guts to do. Face reality.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 1:21 pm

InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
You come across as very judgemental and a complete self loather if you do.

I am a self loather. I have done what few people have the guts to do. Face reality.

What are your AS traits?

xx Dan Monster