Would you rather be neurotypical or hav Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you rather be neurotypical or have Asperger'syndrom.
I would rather be neurotypical. 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
I would rther have Asperger's syndrome. 73%  73%  [ 89 ]
Total votes : 122

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 1:21 pm

InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
You come across as very judgemental and a complete self loather if you do.

I am a self loather. I have done what few people have the guts to do. Face reality.

What are your AS traits?

xx Dan Monster

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:29 pm

That's not easy to answer. I try not to spend a whole lot of thought on wanting to be something I'm not - unless I can change it. Even if it were possible, would I be the same person as an NT? Would I like myself? I guess I just want to be me.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 1:31 pm

InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

I am a self loather. I have done what few people have the guts to do. Face reality.

We are all facing reality, but I face reality as I am, not something I pretend to be and never will be.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

daniel23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2007, 1:35 pm

Quote:
You are clearly not very open minded towards those with AS and also think all with AS scream and throw fits over textures of food?

That somes me up :lol:

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 2:01 pm

Kitsy wrote:
InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

What are your AS traits?

Emotional (internally), sensitive, poor social skills.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 2:04 pm

everyone has internal emotions, everyone has sensitivites, poor social skills yeah very AS but that I too wonder about.

What is it you want to achieve that AS takes away from you? Do you like sports and aspire to be an athlete? What are your interests?

xx Dan Monster

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 2:06 pm

daniel23 wrote:
Quote:
You are clearly not very open minded towards those with AS and also think all with AS scream and throw fits over textures of food?

That somes me up :lol:

Aww. I'm sorry. I too have problems with textures but I don't throw my food and threaten others. Come to think of it, maybe I should. Next time someone give me lemon merengue pie, it's going in their face.

xx Dan Monster

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 2:08 pm

Angelus-Mortis wrote:
InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

We are all facing reality, but I face reality as I am, not something I pretend to be and never will be.

Edit: Agree to disagree.

Last edited by InSpades on 25 Nov 2007, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 2:11 pm

InSpades wrote:
Angelus-Mortis wrote:
InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

From a thread about finding a cure for AS.

Angelus-Mortis wrote:
Wanting there to be a "cure" means you do not understand what it means to be an Aspie or you do not understand what it implies. .

That sums up your attitude about AS. That is not reality.

His attitude IS his reality because he is himself. He lives with himself. Your opinion can be thought of the same way.

xx Dan Monster

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 2:17 pm

Kitsy wrote:
everyone has internal emotions, everyone has sensitivites, poor social skills yeah very AS but that I too wonder about.

What is it you want to achieve that AS takes away from you? Do you like sports and aspire to be an athlete? What are your interests?

I understand my emotions and oversensitivity very well. No one would argue that people with AS are overly emotional and sensitive. It has destroyed my ability to create relationships.

And AS has made me unable to enjoy athletic interests. Less motor skills, unable to focus, the way I sense my environment.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:22 pm

beau99 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather be AS. All the younger NTs that I see on the sidewalks, are all jerks.

I agree with this comment.

SAME HERE! And Reodor_Felgen is wrong about AS meaning you will do worse at school. I actually did FAR better in school when I was younger, and wanted MORE! I lost my love of school EARLY! If I was given algebra when I wanted, my one real bad subject would have been a GOOD subject, and I would have enjoyed school. Who knows, maybe I could have gone to a math club, and met a nice girl! It wasn't too likely at the time, but certainly possible! That would have gotten rid of the need for one of the FEW reasons I would like to be an NT.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:22 pm

Rossi wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:
if I were an NT, but my social skills would be better, my grades would have been better in school, I'd have a job, a girlfriend and I wouldn't be depressed.

...and you had wings and could fly ... ?

Honestly - how do you know ? How do you know what your life would be like if you were a totally different personality ?
There are AS people who do very well in a successful and fulfilled life, there are NT people who do extremely bad, live in poverty, suffer sickness, unemployed, homeless !

Neurotypical is not a synonym for happy/successful/carefree

This poll is absolutely meaningless

The reason why I'm single, unemployed and depressed is because I'm f*****g clueless in anything regarding social skills. I wouldn't be a completely different person if I was an NT, but I'd have better social skills, and would be able to have more interests. The reason why the AS diagnosis exists isn't to make us different or unique, but to help us with our issues, so we could have a better life. A lot of people with AS want a good job, a family and friends very much, but without the proper social skills it's not gonna happen. If it happens to me, then I won't envy the NTs any more. Luckily, even aspies can learn great social skills, and I've noticed that my social skills improved after I started going to a psychologist, and began reading articles on how to interact with other people

In Norway, almost all neurotypicals succeed in life, and there are very few homeless people.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Last edited by Reodor_Felgen on 25 Nov 2007, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 2:23 pm

InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

I understand my emotions and oversensitivity very well. No one would argue that people with AS are overly emotional and sensitive. It has destroyed my ability to create relationships.

And AS has made me unable to enjoy athletic interests. Less motor skills, unable to focus, the way I sense my environment.

What are you good at then? Sorry but your presence sounds alot like what bullies say. I think alot of people fail to realize that there are alot of people without AS that are too perceived as overly emotional as well.

I want you to list all of the things you are good at. Don't give me this crap that because of your AS you are good at nothing valid due to what others have told you. It's nonsense.

xx Dan Monster

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:29 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
beau99 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather be AS. All the younger NTs that I see on the sidewalks, are all jerks.

SAME HERE! And Reodor_Felgen is wrong about AS meaning you will do worse at school. I actually did FAR better in school when I was younger, and wanted MORE! I lost my love of school EARLY! If I was given algebra when I wanted, my one real bad subject would have been a GOOD subject, and I would have enjoyed school. Who knows, maybe I could have gone to a math club, and met a nice girl! It wasn't too likely at the time, but certainly possible! That would have gotten rid of the need for one of the FEW reasons I would like to be an NT.

I nearly failed in spanish, english and biologi on my last year at high school. Not because I was lazy or stupid, because I tried, but because I had big problems concentrating on boring stuff that didn't interest me. On the other hand, I sat one hour at an exam about norwegian and got an A+, since the task was rather creative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of my condition, but I'm not proud of it either. Are NTs proud of being NTs?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:37 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
beau99 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I nearly failed in spanish, english and biology on my last year at high school. Not because I was lazy or stupid, I tried hard, but because I had big problems concentrating on boring stuff that didn't interest me. On the other hand, I sat one hour at an exam about norwegian and got an A+, since the task was rather creative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of my condition, but I'm not proud of it either. Are NTs proud of being NTs?

Last edited by Reodor_Felgen on 25 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkfisk
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm

I don't know. I would let my dice decide this. :P But, my dice is lost, so I can't decide :huh: