Would you rather be neurotypical or hav Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you rather be neurotypical or have Asperger'syndrom.
I would rather be neurotypical. 27%  27%  [ 33 ]
I would rther have Asperger's syndrome. 73%  73%  [ 89 ]
Total votes : 122

funkfisk
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm

I don't know. I would let my dice decide this. :P But, my dice is lost, so I can't decide :huh:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 3:25 pm

If it's "one or the other", then neither. Both have their pluses. Both have their character flaws.

Maybe a mixture of both.

daniel23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2007, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Aww. I'm sorry. I too have problems with textures but I don't throw my food and threaten others. Come to think of it, maybe I should. Next time someone give me lemon merengue pie, it's going in their face.

lol, naa im not like that, but hate different textures :D

proceed with the debate :D

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 4:07 pm

I did not vote, because I cant decide.

On one hand I feel I am very uneque from everybody else, and that I have a very strong detailed memory of the past, very uneque experiences and an ability to reflect or plan ahead I feel came as part of the package.

However, I feel because of my condition I may miss out on so much normal people do with their lives. I do ok, but fear how i will fare in the future. I want to have better social skills and be able to blend in with people and deal with them far better, be able to read them and such.

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2007, 4:22 pm

I would rather have Aspergers - God created me this way for a reason and he has a plan to use it for his glory. Its not easy all the time but there are definitley benefits of having AS as well.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 4:26 pm

InSpades wrote:
Angelus-Mortis wrote:
InSpades wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
You come across as very judgemental and a complete self loather if you do.

I am a self loather. I have done what few people have the guts to do. Face reality.

We are all facing reality, but I face reality as I am, not something I pretend to be and never will be.

From a thread about finding a cure for AS.

Angelus-Mortis wrote:
Wanting there to be a "cure" means you do not understand what it means to be an Aspie or you do not understand what it implies. .

That sums up your attitude about AS. That is not reality.

What, you believe there is a cure? I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but I'm not going to pretend there is a "cure" for AS, as long as I can't change the fact that I don't feel social cues or what every other NT might be feeling, which is why I don't understand them, or the fact that I feel bad if I have to lie to fit into society, or that I always have to think about what I'm going to say, even if I learned to be more sociable. I'm not going to pretend there is a cure, but I'm also not going to pretend there aren't any disadvantages in having AS. I can learn to deal with it. Most successful Aspies do.

Quote:
I understand my emotions and oversensitivity very well. No one would argue that people with AS are overly emotional and sensitive. It has destroyed my ability to create relationships.

I would disagree because I'm entirely unemotional and mostly lack sensitivity. But in the same vein, it does prevent me from creating more relationships. However, I probably view this differently from you because I don't consider relationships to be an immediate necessity, at least not as much as other people do.

Quote:
And AS has made me unable to enjoy athletic interests. Less motor skills, unable to focus, the way I sense my environment.

It has for me for a long time too, but if you're going to continue to sit there and complain about how AS prevents you from doing things, you're not going to get anywhere. I used to completely suck at sports, was clumsy, and often blamed for being "aggressive", but now I rollerblade fairly well. Did the fact that I have AS prevent me from excelling in at least one sport? Of course not. It didn't make it impossible, just more difficult. Gee, this sounds really familiar.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2007, 4:56 pm

I have no idea what it would be like to be someting I'm not, so as I'm an aspie, I'll stick with what I know. Besides, logically, being NT must come with its own social/emotional/rational/intelectual burdens. On balance from my observed experience, I'm better of as an aspie :twisted:

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 5:18 pm

I love myself just the way I am. I don't need to be "normal" whatever that is...

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:20 pm

Its a trick question but overall i would rather have aspergers syndrome as i can b a role model 2 other ppl on da spectrum such as overcomin barriers n proving NTs wrong dat i do have a talent in 1 of my main interests such as maps n trains.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 8:44 pm

I'll stay Aspie, for sure.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 8:46 pm

AS, because I like being different.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 9:37 pm

Aspie. For what should be obvious reasons.

Also I believe In Spades has AS, it's just that he's also completely depressed and AS is a good scapegoat for some people who hate themselves but want to blame it on something they don't have to fix.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 10:08 pm

I voted Aspie. This is mainly just because that's what I am, and I see no reason to wish for anything different than my present situation. I probably would be just as happy, maybe even more so, if I were NT. But I'm Aspie. Plus, I have no idea what it would be like to be NT, and I'll stick with the known evils over the unknown. I don't like people messing with my routines, and that includes my personality style. And you have to be able to accept yourself as you are, so may as well embrace that identity.

Orwell thinks the grass is greener on HIS side of the fence.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

I am happy to be the way I am. NT and AS are, to me, just arbitrary categories for neurological differences.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 12:25 am

While I would not want to sacrifice any of my intelligence, I wish I had the social skills and personality of an NT.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 2:22 am

It all boils to how severely affected the individual is:

For me, a 26 years old man who is "officially" diagnosed with autistic disorder, but who can also be seen as AS by those who lump HFA/AS together: I'll take NT thanks.

I kinda left school in grade 11, I failed all of high school, I live at home with my mother, I've never worked a day in my life, I cannot socialize at all, I cannot talk to people at all (well, I'm saying 'Hello' back now); all of this is due to autism. All of it (I have the professionals to back me up here).

Frankly, apart from something recent, it's been a terrible ride for me since the onset of puberty.

But then, "officially" (see: DSM-IV-TR), I'm autistic rather than AS, but then again, the "god" of autism sees me as AS (Gilberg's criteria), so I have a say.