Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 12:54 am

Do those with AS have a better sense of smell and taste than NTs? I think we do, because I can smell stuff that my NT family can't. My sense of taste also seems to be stronger than theirs.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Nov 2007, 12:55 am

heightened sense of smell and taste yes. As a result I cannot enjoy certain foods and I wonder if spicy food really is as spicy to me as it is others.

xx Dan Monster

beauteousday
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2007, 12:56 am

i think that EVERYTHING is spicy

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 12:57 am

I think cream cheese tastes like it's been out for too long.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Nov 2007, 12:57 am

beauteousday wrote:
i think that EVERYTHING is spicy

even lemons?

xx Dan Monster

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 1:21 am

Definitely. Smell and taste are definitely related and are both definitely heightened senses for me. It really sucks a lot of the time.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2007, 6:35 am

Yes. Basic smells make me nauseous and acidic smells give me headaches. I also largely identify things by the way they smell and many things I can't eat without gagging. :?

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 6:52 am

I can tell who's been in a room just by the smell. Everyone has smells. Everything has smells.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 12:53 pm

I definitely have super-taste, and I'd have smell too if I didn't have really bad sinusitis and can barely even breathe through my nose. :( (It hit me somewhere in my 20's...)

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2007, 2:04 pm

For me it could partly be that I've been deprived of normal amounts of food for a very long time, but I do find myself being more sentisive to taste and smell than NTs. I could eat an egg white plain and think it tastes incredible. Just like I could put a mouthful of pasta in my mouth and be convinced I just ate something old. I'm also the one my mother and father turn to when they want to know if the food actually is old, especially when it comes to meat.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2007, 2:06 pm

My super sensitive smell and taste do my head in.

My boyfriend loves spicy food but if I come within about 20 metres of it the mere smell makes my eyes water. We also have a very stinky dog that doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I can't go anywhere near perfume, public toilets, take aways, buses etc without feeling uncomfortable because of the overbearing smell.

Probably the most common problem I have is with milk, as if it's even slightly off (which usually means it's 2-3 days old) it makes me retch. I have to smell it every time I pour it over my cereal as I've had to chuck out perfectly good bran flakes because the milk tastes so bad.

The positives are that I always know if someone has left the gas on, and I can detect when a newly baked cake has been made well before it comes out of the oven. :-)

29 Nov 2007, 2:24 pm

I know not all aspies have that trait. Mine certinally isn't that strong but I have smelled things before before some people and some NTs have smelled things before me. And about my taste, I think it's average. But I believe my NT brother has sensitive smell and taste. He complained a lot about the smell in food and what it tastes like. I can remember whenever my mother bought a cup of coffee, my brother would start complaining because he could smell it. Even though my brother and I could too, it wasn't a big deal to us but to my brother, he must have smelt it more because he complained. He was also a picky eater too.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

Since I was young I have thougt that maybe I was a little bit more sensitive to smell than others. Or maybe more sensitive than my family at least.

And for example, a couple of weeks ago I had a guest in my apartment that didn't smell so good(smoke and something else). At the same time I hade freshly washed laundry lying about that I hadn't already put in the closet. When I was going to use some of the clothes a couple of days later and smelled them I could smell that they had attracted the smell of my visiter. It was not very strong but strong enough for me to recognize and to feel uncomfortable with. I couldn't wear the clothes that smelled without washing them again.

I also can't stand certain fabric softener that has a lot of perfume.

RasdenFasden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm

My tongue is so sensitive that I can't drink "fizzy" drinks without getting a horrible feeling rather than a good one.

daniel23

29 Nov 2007, 6:37 pm

Yes, im hyper sensitive, i also smell cups and plates before i use them lol. I can tell what shop the crisps in cupboard are bought from.