Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 10:55 pm

To all the NTs that are on WP, I apologize in advance for generalizing. But my bad experiences regarding non-autistic people are steadily getting rather redundant. This all sums up most all my dealings with NTs, particularly guys when it comes to trying to make friends. I do all the work and they do squat.

I have been making a rare effort to become a friend to a guy in one of my classes. We often talk, walk across campus together or whatever. I oftentimes suggested we just hang out after class or during my off days. Nope, no can do. He was either having dinner with his Chinese room mate or with a girl from France. Or he "had other plans" or "had to study/do a paper/finish a homework assignment". I was understanding since I myself was busy with school and work . So I figured at the end of the semester, we would both have more flexible schedules.

So today, class was unexpectedly canceled which meant free time. So I asked him if he wanted to hang out. Oh no, he says he's talking to his brother on the Internet and will stay online...for the whole time. Then Tuesday, while me, him and another girl were walking together, he invites this girl to hang with him on Wednesday....right in front of me. Did I mention when it comes to other people, he seems to find the time to go to football games, shopping, Beale Street or whatever? I then asked him did he have a problem with being around me and he sits up and says he doesn't want to get attached to people while he's here in the U.S. (he's a foreign student). But he doesn't seem to worry about getting attached to other Americans since he's going to visit his online friend in Houston for Christmas and hangs out with other people. What the f*ck's up with that?

I told him I didn't have time for friendships in which the person claimed to be my friend but didn't want to be around me. He said that the class we were in together is ending next week and after that, we will never see each other again. I told him that was point of hanging out, to be around even after the class has ended. Have I truly gone through some kind of Twilight Zone where people claim they're your friend yet don't make an effort to see you again? WTF?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:07 pm

He doesn't want to be close friends. You're not the only person he feels that way about or everybody on campus would be his friend except you. Including the administrators, custodians, teachers and the albino squirrel(s). You tried. You were nice. He's not interested. Someone else will be, but it may take a few tries to find them. They'll be worth it. Meanwhile, he really handled that badly. What is he, eight years old?

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2007, 11:18 pm

I've had many experiences like this, regrettably - "friends" who seem to be able to make time to do stuff with everyone else, but I always get brushed off. Not always NTs either. I'm wondered a lot at the cause - do I seem too needy? Too much a push-over? Too much a "low maintenance" person, so they think they don't need to afford me the same respect and effort they show others? Is it because they feel less a connection with me than with others?

Well, I don't have a lot advice how to overcome this problem. I'm still working that one out too. But I think standing up for yourself, making the "friend" aware of how they are treating you and making it clear it's not acceptable is the first step. I mean, if you don't respect yourself, everyone else will use that as an excuse not to respect you either.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:24 pm

Sounds like a brush off to me. It reads as a polite "i dont want to hurt your feelings but please go away". Although i can be very pessimistic about such things, maybe im wrong.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

Its actually how most people would handle this situation . Sorry, your being introduced to the intricate world of social manipulation,. Most people would get the hint; people with AS can't. He was trying really hard to let you know he does not want to hang out, but without hurting your feelings. Sorry.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:36 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
Its actually how most people would handle this situation . Sorry, your being introduced to the intricate world of social manipulation,. Most people would get the hint; people with AS can't. He was trying really hard to let you know he does not want to hang out, but without hurting your feelings. Sorry.

That's the part I don't understand. I was more hurt by being lied to than him coming right out and telling the truth. When I'm lied to, I know it's not about "sparing my feelings" but to spare the "good" reputation of the person who's lying. Otherwise, if he cared anything about me, he wouldn't have blown me off in the first place. When someone tells the truth right out, the responsibility is put squarely on them and I can move on knowing he was a jerk I didn't want to be around anyway.

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2007, 11:42 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:

That's the part I don't understand. I was more hurt by being lied to than him coming right out and telling the truth. When I'm lied to, I know it's no t to spare my feelings but to spare the reputation of the person who's lying. Otherwise, if he cared anything about me, he wouldn't have blown me off in the first place. When someone tells the truth right out, the responsibility is put squarely on them.

Most of the time, people consider dropping 'hints' as an acceptably clear form of communication. I think it's as silly as you do, but I'm also incredibly, incredibly poor at picking up on them.

I'm not making an excuse for it... I personally think that things should be put out in the open where they can be acknowledged and integrated. But it may be helpful to understand that when one's style of understanding and listening is different, it can lead to situations where tactics which have clearly worked in the past for someone suddenly fall flat when used with you, and the person using them has no prior experience or knowledge from which to understand how or why until it's too late.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

I understand your frustration but you don't state when or if he called you "friend". You say that you tried to become a friend. And it's clear that he wanted you to see that he was rejecting you. It's about as straightforward as an NT can get.

A good rule of thumb is if you make the first move and invite someone and they decline, it's up to them to then invite you when the opportunity arises. Someone who sincerely declines because of plans, but still likes you, will invite as soon as they can. Unless they also have social skills deficits. Perhaps, leaving an open invitation to call, email or meet in a public place would be a non-threatening way to find out if someone is willing to "meet you half way".

Without knowing the guy but going by clues:
1)he may have thought you had a crush on him
2)he may have thought you were too forward for a girl
3)your repeated invitations may have seemed too persistent

These are possible reasons why he may have kept declining.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 11:54 pm

KimJ wrote:
I understand your frustration but you don't state when or if he called you "friend". You say that you tried to become a friend. And it's clear that he wanted you to see that he was rejecting you. It's about as straightforward as an NT can get.

I asked him did he want to be friends long time ago and he said yes. And we would email each other. No ambiguity in that at all.

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2007, 11:58 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:

I asked him did he want to be friends long time ago and he said yes. And we would email each other. No ambiguity in that at all.

It sounds possible that something may have spooked him after that. I couldn't say what.

...on the other hand, I'm hardly an authority at social cues...

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2007, 12:22 am

almost all my friends do this, I ask them if they want to hang out and say "oh im so busy" then on monday they will say how much fun they had with their other friend. It makes me have homicidal feelings for them.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2007, 12:24 am

nirrti_rachelle, I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have no advice, because it happens to me too, and it drives me nuts!

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2007, 12:25 am

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
KimJ wrote:

People say things like this all the time, but they don't mean it. Thats just the world we live in. Just because someone says something, doesn't mean they will do it.

Even if he had no interest in haning out with you whatsoever, he would still say that. I know it is confusing. You have to look for signs that he is interested in you. Does he reciprocate conversation? Does he talk in a tone of voice that says " I am interested in what you have to say"?

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 12:28 am

I don't hate NTs, but I do hate the social network/hierarchy crap and all the subtle cues that I'm supposed to decode. So on that score, I can relate.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 1:39 am

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
To all the NTs that are on WP, I apologize in advance for generalizing. But my bad experiences regarding non-autistic people are steadily getting rather redundant. This all sums up most all my dealings with NTs, particularly guys when it comes to trying to make friends. I do all the work and they do squat.

I have been making a rare effort to become a friend to a guy in one of my classes. We often talk, walk across campus together or whatever. I oftentimes suggested we just hang out after class or during my off days. Nope, no can do. He was either having dinner with his Chinese room mate or with a girl from France. Or he "had other plans" or "had to study/do a paper/finish a homework assignment". I was understanding since I myself was busy with school and work . So I figured at the end of the semester, we would both have more flexible schedules.

So today, class was unexpectedly canceled which meant free time. So I asked him if he wanted to hang out. Oh no, he says he's talking to his brother on the Internet and will stay online...for the whole time. Then Tuesday, while me, him and another girl were walking together, he invites this girl to hang with him on Wednesday....right in front of me. Did I mention when it comes to other people, he seems to find the time to go to football games, shopping, Beale Street or whatever? I then asked him did he have a problem with being around me and he sits up and says he doesn't want to get attached to people while he's here in the U.S. (he's a foreign student). But he doesn't seem to worry about getting attached to other Americans since he's going to visit his online friend in Houston for Christmas and hangs out with other people. What the f*ck's up with that?

I told him I didn't have time for friendships in which the person claimed to be my friend but didn't want to be around me. He said that the class we were in together is ending next week and after that, we will never see each other again. I told him that was point of hanging out, to be around even after the class has ended. Have I truly gone through some kind of Twilight Zone where people claim they're your friend yet don't make an effort to see you again? WTF?

I get people doing that to me too. They smile at me and nod and be pleasant but they don't want to play, they don't want to hang out, they make plans with others in front of me, and you know. .. I have found this is how those people that don't think or act like me tell each other that they want to move on. They don't dislike me, they just haven't chosen me for their forever companion is all. And to those people there will be another person like themselves along in a few minutes, so it doesn't really matter. That's why they keep smiling, because they are not being inconvenienced, they are just making their next move in the social dance.

Now, I can't say if those people ARE NT, or not, but they certainly don't think like I do!

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 2:21 am

I think it's about not making enemies. wish I was better at that.