Are there any other Aspie transhumanists around here?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 3:50 pm

Quote:
movement that epitomizes the most daring, courageous, imaginative, and idealistic aspirations of humanity

Perfect quote.

I'm not strictly a transhumanist, as it sounds too much like one of those weird futurist movements, but if we can improve humanity, I'm all for it. Problem is, people tend to associate it with early twentieth century eugenics and by extension Nazis, or worse, they have some irrational Prometheoid fear of it. "Man shouldn't be playing god" :eew:

By the way what are y'all's opinions on genetic engineering and eugenics?

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2008, 6:54 am

i always liked timmy leary's ideas about SMI^2LE - that the genetic imperative is pushing humanity towards Space Migration, Intelligence Increase, and Life Extension, and that those are the important things we as a species need to be working on. i haven't really considered myself a transhumanist, but i take my piracetam, deprenyl, and such.

when there's some kind of implant that will let me interface with something interesting, i want one, and if nanobots ever manage to give me a dramatically increased lifespan then that would be ok too.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 1:41 am

I for one would like a tail and gills would also be handy.

AdvenaIngenium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2008, 4:40 am

re: million species

I don't see how this could not happen. At least not without a global totalitarian police state that refused to allow it. And even that would probably just slow it down a bit.

Also, one would think that Aspies would tend to be natural supporters of transhumanism. I mean, we already don't really feel human. Perhaps we have a head start? :-)

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 7:00 pm

AdvenaIngenium wrote:
Also, one would think that Aspies would tend to be natural supporters of transhumanism. I mean, we already don't really feel human. Perhaps we have a head start? :-)

I agree and already feel transhuman or at least augmented, as I have outsourced so much of my thinking to The Cloud. I have no attachment to my wetware at all. Once I can make regular backups then I'll start taking up stuff like sky diving. I think it might be fun to explore Mars via telepresence in a robot body while flinging myself out of planes on earth.

Anybody read any Charles Stross? I've just devoured Accelerando and Glasshouse:
http://www.accelerando.org/book/

Imagine when we can beam our consciousness across the stars...

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2008, 4:52 am

Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies:

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/?p=455