Can you multitask?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
No 64%  64%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 44

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:34 pm

Anyone else find it difficult to do more than one task at a time? Especially when it comes to prioritizing those tasks?

cagerattler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2007, 6:37 pm

I don't think anyone can multitask without diluting the attention they give to what they are doing. The persons I know who claim they can multitask simply do a crummy job at each of the jobs they are multitasking. I do not multitask, and doubt I could do so if I wanted to.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2007, 6:44 pm

I multitask like a fiend.

One day in school I was taking notes from the overhead, doing math homework, and playing sudoko basically at the same time. (well it's three things and I have two hands... but you get what I mean, it was like a rotation. Few notes, few math problems, couple seconds of sudoko).

I also make it a habit to watch the red wings and do homework at the same time.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:46 pm

Nope - not at all. :oops:

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Anyone else find it difficult to do more than one task at a time? Especially when it comes to prioritizing those tasks?

Multitasking is near-impossible for me to attempt and manage to do a satisfactory job of either task.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:48 pm

I voted yes, because I can sometimes, but it really does depend on my mood and how much sleep I've had.

Everyone at work laughs at me because they can stand and just about shout my name at me ten times before I'll realise anyone's even saying anything, I get so entranced with what I'm doing.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Everyone at work laughs at me because they can stand and just about shout my name at me ten times before I'll realise anyone's even saying anything, I get so entranced with what I'm doing.

Ever have people accuse you of intentionally ignoring them for that?

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2007, 6:58 pm

I can barely monotask :D (I doubt monotask is a word... oh well)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 7:07 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Quote:

All. The. Time. I'm never doing it on purpose though, I'd never ignore anyone intentionally! (Bar bullies when I was a kid).

My parents used to get so angry with me... or they'd ask me to do something and I'd get distracted (my timekeeping is horrendous, as in I have zero sense of time) so they'd then get even angrier because I'd have
A) Ignored them, and
B ) Still be ignoring them!

;)

cagerattler

12 Dec 2007, 7:37 pm

SoccerFreak wrote:
I multitask like a fiend.

One day in school I was taking notes from the overhead, doing math homework, and playing sudoko basically at the same time. (well it's three things and I have two hands... but you get what I mean, it was like a rotation. Few notes, few math problems, couple seconds of sudoko).

I also make it a habit to watch the red wings and do homework at the same time.

I'm not sure this is really multitasking. I understand multitasking as literally doing several things at the same time. What you describe is doing only one thing, with rapid rotation to something else.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 7:38 pm

cagerattler wrote:
I don't think anyone can multitask without diluting the attention they give to what they are doing. The persons I know who claim they can multitask simply do a crummy job at each of the jobs they are multitasking. I do not multitask, and doubt I could do so if I wanted to.

To a degree, you are right. I can do a LOT with no apparent effect on performance though. I will take a shower, go through the day mentally, and even write programs at the same time.

If something is mundane, common, or uses another part of the brain/body, it affects multitasking less.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2007, 7:54 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Quote:

All. The. Time. I'm never doing it on purpose though, I'd never ignore anyone intentionally! (Bar bullies when I was a kid).

My parents used to get so angry with me... or they'd ask me to do something and I'd get distracted (my timekeeping is horrendous, as in I have zero sense of time) so they'd then get even angrier because I'd have
A) Ignored them, and
B ) Still be ignoring them!

;)

I got that too. And not only is my sense of time bad, I have a really hard time with measurements of anything. "Go five feet that way *points*" And then I'll scoot over a step at a time and keep asking "here?" "here?" "here?"..... :x

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2007, 12:15 am

Generally speaking no ... with a lot of preparation i can occasionally multitask, but i've never been able to multi-thread

Jerz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2007, 12:42 am

i'm so easily distracted that when i'm lookin at somethin (even at some trees or birds) while someone is talking to me, i would go 'uh huh....huh? what?' i once did this with my mother while she was tellin me something and i just kept doing it and she ended up repeating her sentence 5-6 times! :wink:

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 12:46 am

Right-brained dominant people can multi task

If you are more right-brained, you may tend to:
Be playful in solving problems.
Respond to events with emotion.
Interpret body language easily.
Have a good sense of humour.
Process information subjectively.
Improvise.
Use metaphors & analogies when describing something.
Deal with several problems at once.
Use hands a lot in conversation.
Notice patterns & think in pictures.
See solutions as approximate & evolving.
Not realize all that you know.

If you are more left-brained, you may tend to:
Analyze pros & cons before taking action.
Be neat & tidy.
Base decisions on facts, not on sentimentality.
Give concrete examples when describing something.
Think in terms of right & wrong; good & bad.
Process experiences objectively.
Be keenly aware of time.
Not Pick up social cues easily.
Proceed one step at a time.
Like to categorize.
Be idea-oriented.
Be comfortable with words & numbers.
Seek exact solutions

Introverts lose there place if someone start's talking to them & u have to take more energy to re-find your place

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 12:49 am

A classic example of multi-tasking is a short order cook. My husband describes his grandmother being a terrible cook but a wonderful baker. I can cook simple dishes but if Husband is there watching (and talking) then I mess things up. My mom used to be able to whip up dinner for a family of four, with stuff at appropriate-yet different temperatures. And that includes setting it on the table and waiting for people to show up in their seats.
Like OddballBen says, I can barely monotask. 8O