How do I stop replaying negative memories in my head?

Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2012, 2:05 am

BlueMax wrote:
I had this same problem!!

I forced myself out of it with an idea from my counselor - he was speaking metaphorically, but it works for me literally.

"If the memory is a videotape and you want to stop it from playing, you have to eject the tape."

Well, that did the trick! When the intrusive memory comes to mind, I quite literally imagine a VCR or DVD player EJECTING the cassette/DVD! The TV screen going blank, and the memory-video stopping

Interesting.

You could also set aside one night to go over and think about your bad memories, "forgiving" yourself/the world/whatever for each item, realizing your mistakes, reading about people who have it worse, acknowledging your emotions, etc.

Then, press eject.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 4:08 am

ooo wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
I had this same problem!!

I forced myself out of it with an idea from my counselor - he was speaking metaphorically, but it works for me literally.

"If the memory is a videotape and you want to stop it from playing, you have to eject the tape."

Well, that did the trick! When the intrusive memory comes to mind, I quite literally imagine a VCR or DVD player EJECTING the cassette/DVD! The TV screen going blank, and the memory-video stopping

Interesting.

You could also set aside one night to go over and think about your bad memories, "forgiving" yourself/the world/whatever for each item, realizing your mistakes, reading about people who have it worse, acknowledging your emotions, etc.

Then, press eject.

Or I could find the tape called 'life' and press eject? A LOT EASIER.

I don't know. This is a fundamental problem for me. If I want I could describe in enough detail to paint each screenshot of each moment in the memory. It's that vivid and instant triggers a massive shutdown, which is now I've turned mute within five minutes of reading this thread. I want to burn it away, the memory, the place and everyone who was present or known about it since. Or a reset button. That would be nice.