Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kohelet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2007, 9:56 am

i'm twenty, a number theory major.
my shrink and a therapist who has known me for several years both think i might have asperger's. it would explain a lot.

the thing is, my shrink is rather laissez faire about treatment. he pointed out that, basically, i have no reason for knowing whether i have asperger's or not, based on the following:

1. i live independently, and have no one to whom i must offer an explanation for my behaviour
2. i am the way i am, regardless of labels
3. labels can be a hindrance

i'm inclined to agree; but i have this unfortunate dichotomy of potential vs. behaviour: i'm rather bright, and capable of much, and yet ridiculous things interfere with my life and affect my performance. this produces a sense of defeat in me, because i don't know whether there is something more going on, or if i simply, .... well, suck. :p

and certainly, whether i knew or not, i'd still have to deal with it daily. would it help to know it's not just me, or would the ability to hide behind a diagnosis be detrimental to adaptation?

i'm just wondering if i should pursue a diagnosis, negative or positive. (it would, however, be awful to discover there's nothing going on and i am merely irresponsible, unmotivated, and undisciplined! lol.)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 11:55 am

I notice the 'laissez faire' in 'treatment for AS' psychologists is that they

1. don't know any
2. don't see much need if you are over the 'impressionable years'

I am struggling to get a psychologist to DX me. The only reason is so I can get 'reasonable accomodation' at my work. I will tack up the DX with my diploma from college, my technological diplomas and my honor societies certificates. And that will be the end of that.

Merle

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2007, 1:59 pm

What sort of treatment would you like to have? Perhaps behavioral therapy, about interacting more appropriately with others? I don't know what sort of issues you have socially or at work, and I'm using a broad brush here, but many/most AS people have issues in that area. If you feel "held back" because of social things, and aren't happy about your current situation, maybe you'd benefit from that type of therapy. I find that just being able to trust my therapist, so I can come to him/her with a situation and get another person's perspective on it, really helps me a lot. More and more, I'm learning that if I get a "bad feeling" about someone, generally I should listen to that and be wary when dealing with them. My last job I quit because of a coworker/supervisor/"friend" who totally flipped on me in a very nasty way - I didn't see it coming and was totally overwhelmed and shocked and, honestly, frightened of her. I saw little signs, but I dismissed them as nothing to worry about, I must be just being paranoid or overreacting, oversensitive, something. I should've paid closer attention, but I don't know what else I should've done differently. She may have mental health issues or neurological issues, herself, for all I know. I'm trying very hard not to let that experience (and a few others) scare me away from ever having a job again - I don't have that luxury. ;) But I am exploring other ways of working for myself so I don't find myself at the mercy of people like this individual again.

Just think about why you want a dx, what you hope to get out of that, and what sort of help you think you need, if any. Talk honestly with your shrink/therapist about it. If you don't like the response you get, perhaps you can seek a second opinion elsewhere.

Ozzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2007, 3:37 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

1. don't know any

I am struggling to get a psychologist to DX me. The only reason is so I can get 'reasonable accomodation' at my work. I will tack up the DX with my diploma from college, my technological diplomas and my honor societies certificates. And that will be the end of that.

Merle

Yeah, unfortunately I have found this to be true. If it's not too personal a question, Merle, what are your ideas for reasonable accomodation? That's a tough question for me.

Having answers can do wonders, and noone can tell you to what extent but yourself. Don't let them belittle the satisfaction of knowing.

-Ozzy

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 4:01 pm

Ozzy wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

1. don't know any

Merle

Yeah, unfortunately I have found this to be true. If it's not too personal a question, Merle, what are your ideas for reasonable accomodation? That's a tough question for me.

Having answers can do wonders, and noone can tell you to what extent but yourself. Don't let them belittle the satisfaction of knowing.

-Ozzy

I have noticed people are happy to help if you tell them what to do or what you need. Personally that seems to me the same thing if I had broken my leg, the medic says "alright now. . tell me how you want that taken care of, alright? what should I do first??"all the while I am yowling in pain.

I want a time I can log out in personal time, go to a room and close the door, have a bottle of water and a couple of asprin and just chill out in the dark and alone for about 12 to 15 minutes, mostly, Ozzy. This will often stem the tide of a meltdown. I would also like to get what ever text we are having passed out to us in training sessions to read through BEFORE the class so I have some idea what they are talking about when I am in the session and be able to ask my clarifying questions in class, not a week later when I finally had time to read the text.

I need to know what is important and what is not important in Emails. I get quite a few during the week and some are very interesting, but not for my daily working needs. I can ferret out the 'social' ones, but sometimes ACTUAL JOB INFORMATION is included in the chatty chatty social ones and it confuses me completely.

[example: Darla McFarland is proud to announce her bouncing baby boy was born yadda yadda lbs yadda yadda day, Carol McKenney will be taking all emails for Darla until further notice, yadda blue baby blankets are being supplied by yadda yadda of the Claims Department and yadda yadda spouse and her are doing fine. ]

This implys I know that Darla is in charge of Accounting department and if I have business with her or the department Carol Mckenney will be the one to email. But they have lost me in the middle of all the social business and I still didn't get the connection between the Claims Department and Accounting or what.

anyway stuff like that.

Merle