Yes 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 45

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:46 am

What is the opposite of Autism?

If Autism has certain characteristics, then what would be considered the total opposite?

Surely there are highly athletic people that don't think, don't obess, are highly social and have all the opposite problems Autistics have.

What do you think? Does nature have an opposite Autistic spectrum out there. People that have just as many problems as us, but on the opposite side? And what would it be called? And has it already been named?

Thoughts?

Best,

Idaho Aspie
www.AllThingsAspergers.com

chinapig
Raven
Raven

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am

...dyslexia?

sambitious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:18 am

jocks?

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:21 am

sambitious wrote:
jocks?

:lmao:

Idaho Aspie

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 am

There are too many variables. It would be almost impossible to specify what it is.

LabPet
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 am

Just speaking diagnostically (I'm not inserting my opinion or value judgment), there is a disorder considered the opposite of autism: William's Syndrome.

I do not too much about William's Syndrome, but the only overlap between William's Syndrome and Autism is musical ability. Otherwise, WS is characterized by, yes, opposite traits of autism. Those with WS are invariably mildly mentally retarded but highly social, very likeable, etc. They do have some facial physical characteristic too (elfish sharp features) If you're curious, you can check out WS on Wikipedia, or google. Interesting!

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:58 am

LabPet wrote:
Just speaking diagnostically (I'm not inserting my opinion or value judgment), there is a disorder considered the opposite of autism: William's Syndrome.

I do not too much about William's Syndrome, but the only overlap between William's Syndrome and Autism is musical ability. Otherwise, WS is characterized by, yes, opposite traits of autism. Those with WS are invariably mildly mentally retarded but highly social, very likeable, etc. They do have some facial physical characteristic too (elfish sharp features) If you're curious, you can check out WS on Wikipedia, or google. Interesting!

Well, I am horrible at music. I rarely, isf ever listen to music in the car or at home. So I guess this would be the opposite to me. Although most people do like me in person, at least at first until I say or do something to upset them because I don't understand social rules and cues.

Thanks for that info!

Best,

Idaho Aspie

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:08 am

LabPet wrote:

Yup, that's what I was going to say. Rather than impaired social abilities in the middle of intact cognitive abilities, kids with Williams Syndrome have an island of social skills in the middle of a sea of mental retardation and/or learning disabilities. Although their social skills are rather superficial- they are very "social", but they may not understand nuances of interaction or be pragmatically appropriate. They are very friendly though, and do tend to be likable.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 am

Definitely in opposite direction from most members of WP would be extraversion.

8)

LabPet
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:15 am

ouinon wrote:
Definitely in opposite direction from most members of WP would be extraversion.

8)

Right. Apparently those with William's Syndrome are quite outgoing, 'bubbly' personality, amicable, make friends quickly and easily - really likeable and exuberant. Extroverted!

Not to generalize, but many (most?) autistics/Aspie, regardless of our amazing sense of humor :) tend to be somber; recognizing existential angst, or very pragmatic. We are logical beings. Overall trend.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:32 am

I think the WS people tend to not have very deep relationships however. And they must feel that loss.

EvilZak
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:32 am

IdahoAspie wrote:

It would be Msitua, would it not? *grins*

People with Msituaism would have:

1) Qualitative overemphasis on social interaction.

2) Qualitative dependence on communication.

3) An inability to repeat actions for any length of time, alongside an inability to keep the same interest for any length of time.

4) Learns social interaction and communication skills at a much earlier age, and dedicates themselves to imaginative play all the time.

5) And finally, The disturbance is always better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:13 am

There's a spectrum for everything :wink:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 am

EvilZak wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:

It would be Msitua, would it not? *grins*

People with Msituaism would have:

1) Qualitative overemphasis on social interaction.

2) Qualitative dependence on communication.

3) An inability to repeat actions for any length of time, alongside an inability to keep the same interest for any length of time.

4) Learns social interaction and communication skills at a much earlier age, and dedicates themselves to imaginative play all the time.

5) And finally, The disturbance is always better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.

:lol:

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

someguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:02 am

Someone who is hindered in or unable to think logically. This is characterized by repeated poor life choices resulting in their life being in a constant state of chaos while the affected individual is unaware that their own actions are the cause of their problems.

Or maybe it's those people at work who can never stop talking even though they have absolutely nothing to say.

I know plenty of both and if I'm on some kind of spectrum then they sure as heck are.

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page: