Poll ended at 06 Apr 2008, 1:46 am
Yes 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 45

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 11:27 am

In psychology last November when we were studying the Baron Cohen studies the teacher was going to show us a documentary about autism, and the teacher mentioned AS and someone goes "is that the opposite of autism?"
I wish :lmao:

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 11:31 am

People who have way too much friends and invitations to social events that they have gone crazy trying to schedule in all the events and they don't have time for school and so they can't get too far in their education.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 12:03 pm

MONKEY wrote:
In psychology last November when we were studying the Baron Cohen studies the teacher was going to show us a documentary about autism, and the teacher mentioned AS and someone goes "is that the opposite of autism?"
I wish :lmao:

Not quite, but some forms of autism seem almost like opposites. My brother and I have opposite autistic traits mostly. I read a study once where they rated autistic and nonautistic people on various traits. They had three choices per trait -- never/rarely, sometimes/somewhat, and always/usually. Or something like that. Anyway what they found was a tendency for nonautistic people to rate in the middle and autistic people rated at both extremes on any given trait. So maybe autism is the opposite of autism. ;)

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2010, 12:22 pm

LabPet wrote:
Just speaking diagnostically (I'm not inserting my opinion or value judgment), there is a disorder considered the opposite of autism: William's Syndrome.

I do not too much about William's Syndrome, but the only overlap between William's Syndrome and Autism is musical ability. Otherwise, WS is characterized by, yes, opposite traits of autism. Those with WS are invariably mildly mentally ret*d but highly social, very likeable, etc. They do have some facial physical characteristic too (elfish sharp features) If you're curious, you can check out WS on Wikipedia, or google. Interesting!

I realize this is a zombie thread but people with William's are not INVARIABLY mentally ret*d, some are even of genius level intelligence.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 6:45 pm

redwulf25_ci wrote:
LabPet wrote:
Just speaking diagnostically (I'm not inserting my opinion or value judgment), there is a disorder considered the opposite of autism: William's Syndrome.

I do not too much about William's Syndrome, but the only overlap between William's Syndrome and Autism is musical ability. Otherwise, WS is characterized by, yes, opposite traits of autism. Those with WS are invariably mildly mentally ret*d but highly social, very likeable, etc. They do have some facial physical characteristic too (elfish sharp features) If you're curious, you can check out WS on Wikipedia, or google. Interesting!

I realize this is a zombie thread but people with William's are not INVARIABLY mentally ret*d, some are even of genius level intelligence.

I don't doubt it, i've just never heard of a case of like this myself. Average intelligence among some WS people yes.....never heard of one with genius level intelligence though.

Same holds true for Rett syndrome and likely many other neurodevelopmental disorders. I've also heard of a few Down syndrome folks with "superior" intelligence according to the IQ tests they've taken.

I remember reading the account of an alleged mother of a girl with DS on a rather spurious website though. According to the supposed mother of this girl, she was able to RAISE her daughter's IQ from the MR range to 140 through the use of Nootropic drugs like Hydergine. Afterwards...the girl was supposedly taking all sorts of advanced math classes and everything else. Flowers for Algernon was a nice work of fiction, but in reality, one should be able to seperate the whey from the chaff.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 8:17 pm

I know of a guy with WS (not a case) who was an astrophysics major with a high IQ. He was genetically tested and everything. He had his info on a WS society website for awhile. Then he took it down because of extreme hostility from parents. Not unlike the hostility high IQ autistic people get from some parents. As if people can help their IQ.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 9:07 am

My ex boyfriend :lol:

I'm not exaggerating when I say I think he is the exact opposite of an aspie.
He is charismatic, empathetic, lets his emotions override his logic and judgment, and is more in tune with his emotions than any other NT I've ever met.
He approaches strangers on the street who he thinks look interesting to hear their life stories, he can explain and thoroughly describe any emotion he's feeling, and he can read people so well you'd think he's psychic. He's like a social superhero! It was sort of overwhelming...
And it caused some pretty major problems in our relationship hahaha. He'd initiate a "heart to heart" discussion, sharing in detail his feelings, problems, and opinions, and why he felt such and such way. Then he'd ask for my side of things... I would blue-screen-of-death and be completely unable to answer, and he simply couldn't understand. It all came to him so easily and naturally that he thought I just wasn't trying hard enough. I remember he would get upset and start yelling things like, "You're a human being! You're not a robot!"

I didn't want to admit it, but compared to him, I honestly am more robot than human.
:-# beep beep boop.