Can autism get worse the older you get?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 1:25 pm

I would say wen u get older u would start 2 lose some of da traits n u seem 2 grow more confidence in urself.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 1:51 pm

I don't know if it got worse with time or I'm just more aware of my AS. I think, as some have said here, that the gap with NTs has widened a lot, especially in our forties when being eccentric is seen as not for our age. I'm much, much, much less tolerated in my weirdness now that I'm in my 40s. I'm expected to act very conventionally, and I can't.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 1:58 pm

Theres 2 different sections on this post.

well for me it gets much harder later on when your an adult, as a child i did well in sports (basketball and football) and did well at school (honor roll student) of course Autism didnt exist when i was a child, (though i knew i was different) always had migraines all the time, but now it seems to be worse (panic attacks/anxiety,nervous) all the time. Dont want to do anything except play games, do web design. When i was a child i did lots of activities and no one even knew i had autism back then.

Of course most of the child lifke symptoms of autism i outgrew and mostly coping with the stress/panic attacks and anxiety,sleeping problems, etc.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 2:02 pm

Greentea wrote:
I don't know if it got worse with time or I'm just more aware of my AS. I think, as some have said here, that the gap with NTs has widened a lot, especially in our forties when being eccentric is seen as not for our age. I'm much, much, much less tolerated in my weirdness now that I'm in my 40s. I'm expected to act very conventionally, and I can't.

The older, the wiser topic

Hello, again Greentea

I am sorry you have expereinced negative reactions to your differences as you age. I have had the opposite situation, and I have become more radical and adamant about the way I am. Since my diagnosis I have become proud of my differences and if anyone comments, I do answer or write them back. If they want to eat me, I will give them indigestion! :lol:

Down with convention and NazTism. :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2008, 7:15 pm

Whenever I drink Diet Cola, I get bad headaches and I catch myself stimming a lot. Considering that I don't stim often, I'd say that it can get worse. But I think it doesn't get worse as you get older, if you actually know you have AS. I've come a long way since finding out, and I've been getting better with age. Of course, this was from childhood to the present, at age 18.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 7:19 pm

Joeker wrote:
Whenever I drink Diet Cola, I get bad headaches and I catch myself stimming a lot. Considering that I don't stim often, I'd say that it can get worse. But I think it doesn't get worse as you get older, if you actually know you have AS. I've come a long way since finding out, and I've been getting better with age. Of course, this was from childhood to the present, at age 18.

This goes back to what anbuend posted.

It doesn't actually get worse, but certain factors can make it appear that way.

Back in December I thought mine was getting worse, when it was really just stress and depression rearing their ugly heads.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 7:43 pm

Watch out for late onset adult autistic regression.

It has me sometimes I fear.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 4:00 am

Oh, yeah, good point.
It's why I don't drink diet colas.