Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm

I wrote a "hip" version of the opening scenes of the Katha Upanishad, to appeal to the younger, "Harry Potter" generation.

Now, I feel that I did a pretty decent job on the opening, as it's a story, and I'm pretty good with stories, but I'm neither "hip" nor "cool" enough to translate the more "pedantic" classical stuff that follows in part II, part III, etc. That's where I need help, I just can't do it myself.

So I would like to challenge you, especially the younger "gods and goddesses" among us, to have a go, at turning the staid, classical language of Katha into cool, modern "hip" talk. 8)

Use your imagination, your knowledge of slang, street talk, metaphor, etc! :twisted:

If I get a good response on part two, I'll get off my butt and start typing in the classical part III, etc. It's also found in the library, or my 40 year-old paperback copy of "The Upanishads", published by Mentor.

I would be tickled to see what our smarter, younger generation, in particular, could come up with on an assignment like this.

1st prize is an all-expenses paid trip with Brahman! :wink:

What do you say, any takers?

Your Obedient Brahmin,

ps: If you take up the challenge, post your essays directly as a response to King of Death II, so the original and your translations are "side by side" under the same topic so everyone can compare your versions to the original.

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"