Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

What do you think of collectors magazines?
I never buy them... It's a total rip off 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
I'm a huge collector... but I don't fall for tricks like that 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
I'm a huge collecter... I'd probably buy that... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't really care... but I'll vote anyway 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 12:36 pm

I have to say collectors magazines get me really worked up(although I don't collect stuff)

For example there's a magazine where you collect and build The Flying Scotchman that's been released lately and it says on their website: here ...

Issue 1 comes for the special price of £0.50 (€1), Issue 2 at £2.99 (€4.99) and issue 3 onwards at £4.99 (€7.99).

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 2:35 pm

Am think they come out too often so they're easy to forget.
If it's things that can be bought already like kits that are made up into models,it's probably better to just go and buy the kit from somewhere such as the model zone,rather than wait all that time for each little bit.

The last collectors mag am got was that household cavalry one-the horse ornaments,think they were made of cast iron,only got the first two issues and forgot the rest.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Dyspergian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2008, 2:53 pm

As it happens I'm doing some consultancy work on one of these at the moment.

Yes - it's a total rip-off.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:29 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Am think they come out too often so they're easy to forget.
If it's things that can be bought already like kits that are made up into models,it's probably better to just go and buy the kit from somewhere such as the model zone,rather than wait all that time for each little bit.

The last collectors mag am got was that household cavalry one-the horse ornaments,think they were made of cast iron,only got the first two issues and forgot the rest.

lol

I especially hated a magazine that was out a while ago and you got a miniature clock in each issue...

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:36 am

If the collection in mind is cars, then the magazine might very well end up in my possession.

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 8:56 am

i don't like the way that hey use cheap prices for the first part to hook people, then include pieces of the collection, or a storage box or some such thing in the second, full price part, especially when the magazines are aimed at children, who will just strop if tey can't have what they want, so parents will spend stupid amounts of money to keep them happy

Dyspergian

07 Jan 2008, 9:07 am

WhiteRaven wrote:
i don't like the way that hey use cheap prices for the first part to hook people, then include pieces of the collection, or a storage box or some such thing in the second, full price part, especially when the magazines are aimed at children, who will just strop if tey can't have what they want, so parents will spend stupid amounts of money to keep them happy

That's exactly what happened with the one I'm working on - which is indeed aimed at children.

The first one was heavily advertised on TV and on sale at half price. Only the next few appeared in the shops so the punters had to subscribe to complete the collection - which runs to 81 issues.

The content (chess instruction for kids) was also totally inappropriate (far too hard) for the target market.