Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2008, 4:49 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 4:57 pm

After corresponding with someone on another forum recently they brought up the subject of Indigo children, thinking about this and also other topic I posted about "Close my eyes and see anything.....amazing patterns of color and light..." was thinking could be a link, especially as characteristics of both, Indigo Children and Asperger children are very similar.

The following characteristics are said to identify Indigo children:
1. They come into the world with a feeling of entitlement, which is often reflected by their behavior.
2. Self-esteem is a big issue; they often decide to stop talking all together when upset or stressed.
3. They have a connection with authority and understand things that many people never could.
4. Many times they will feel the need to add creativity to their life. (Many are musical)
5. They often see better ways of doing things, and tend to be non-conforming.
6. They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind or people they can heavily trust.
7. They are typically shy and normally always quiet unless something is brought up they disagree on.
Other claims include psychic abilities; empathic, spirit communication; 'multidimensional awareness'; immunity to diseases such as HIV, and more. None of these claims have been experimentally verified.
For more on this Click on Indigo children - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_chi ... rnal_links

Intuition, sense of knowing !
Speaking with other Aspies and thinking back myself I feel Aspies may have better sensory vision, gut feelings than the norm. My family for one are far from the norm, growing up knowing I was different somehow, other Aspies have also told me, they just grew up accepting their families were different.

But what really got me thinking was last night my son said goodnight to me, when he was fast asleep. This is something he will often do and thinking back my sister would sit me up as a child when asleep and talk with me, this she found very amusing. She said I would talk to her like I was awake and understand everything, but was in fact fast asleep.

Still today use my gut feeling, sense a lot. Always seem to prejudge other people and know if will get on with them within minutes. I also know at times what people are about to say before they do. Drives my husband crazy, as he can start to say something and I just stop listening, and when he says he has not finished telling me something, I usually reply yes you have, this is what you meant, right of course. Bad habit of mine being right to often!

I also often hear aspie people saying they talk to themselves, it’s something I still do. I’m not crazy, never taken an anti-depressant and do not think anyone else is there. I just think by talking out loud, helps overload of information in my head. Because it can be hard talking to the norm at times, as they do not always want to listen or understand. I have also heard of youngest getting quite worried by this, but feel it’s quite a common thing.

or could it just be:
The generation of meaning is the most fundamental process of the mind. It underlies all major mental functions, such as intelligence, memory, perception, and communication.
A Bridge Between Mind and Matter - By Christine Hardy
To read part of this book click on link below, gets you think!
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=4568 ... he+Bridge+
Between+Mind+and+Matter&sig=8ezGRDAIlNgYlDRiNJqCmHSpM9o#PPP1,M1

It really does interest me, but do not know the answers.... but more than likely seems like these children have been given an alternative name for being on the spectrum. Maybe it was because no one knew or understood enough about people on the autism spectrum when this idea started up!

Last edited by asplanet on 07 Jan 2008, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 5:05 pm

I have actually read quite a bit about this, and have concluded that it is new-age baloney. Most of these so-called "traits" are traits that most kids actually have. This is just the common parental attitude of "my child is special" taken to the extreme.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2008, 5:13 pm

Strikes me as a way parents can try to feel better about their child having a Disability.

Does no one any favours in the long term. I mean, having a Disability is not automatically a negative thing, but feeling a need to hide it behind crap like indigo and crystal children shows those people are uncomfortable with the concept of Disability.

Robin

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 6:10 pm

Indigo/Crystal isn't seen as a disability though...

Asplanet, I have to agree with you, after reading about it I came to the conclusion that it was basically a way of describing a lot of Asperger's children in a more positive light and with a different name.

(I love what you said about knowing what people are going to say before they finish - I had endless fights with my Dad as a child because I'd interrupt him halfway through him talking or telling me off, and then yell back "BUT I ALREADY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO SAY BEFORE YOU'VE SAID IT SO THAT'S WHY I'M INTERRUPTING!"... I didn't realise it was rude and most people can't do that at the time, wish someone had pointed it out to me instead of him just telling me not to be rude!)

livinglearning
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2008, 6:21 pm

That's a very interesting topic. I've had at least two different people tell me I'm Indigo, long before I even heard of Asperger's. A couple of days ago I was reading about Indigos, and it suddenly hit me that this could be the New Age version of what science calls Asperger's Syndrome. I was even going to create a topic about it! The only thing I didn't get was the Indigos' ability to read people, which kind of contradicts Asperger's. Any thoughts?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 6:23 pm

I think reading people can be learned... I'm usually pretty good at it these days. I figure a lot of things about AS can be taught over time and with practise can come more easily. That said, there are times where I get it totally wrong and have a true 'aspie' moment. Woops. ;)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:07 pm

It's New Age BS mixed in the obsession of the last 20 years of parents telling every kid they are special and above average.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:12 pm

:lol:

roflmfao

Riiiigghhhtt and you can picture the pinkie being held up to the corner of my mouth. Give me a break.... according to their site "over 95% of children being born today...". When I see high school football teams not being formed because they can't find enough players then maybe I'll believe it..... Most of the traits they want to talk about sound like spectrum kids whose parent's won't go near a real doctor. New age crap is right. I'm betting every parent who thinks that has a unicorn tapestry up SOMEWHERE in their house. :roll:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:18 pm

Hehe, I always just laughed at it as being wacko new age loonies, but no... the more I read the more I thought it was just them describing AS. I hope these 'indigo' children get any help they might need if they are on the spectrum...! ! (I would assume though, that since they have these remarkable abilities, their parents would nurture them to use them to their best ability, in which case it isn't really harmful anyway?)

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 7:21 pm

I have several quotations on the subject in my Spectrum of Autisms Compilation. You would need to do a page search. Unfortunately, I have not yet clearly organized the compilation around topics. (However, all the quotes on indigo and crystal children are together.)

My own view, which is similar to what I put into the compilation, is that this perspective arose from people, mostly involved in various expressions of the so-called "new age movement," who wanted to put an appealing label on their children who had been diagnosed with ADHD or the autisms.

I see it as mostly silliness.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:24 pm

If the parents are anything like the New Agers I knew in college 25 years ago they're probably using their children's "special abilities" to look for wood elves.... Not kidding I knew a young woman who wandered the wooded campus looking for elves. WITHOUT having ingested any herbal or fungal intoxicants. Helluva D&D player though.....

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 7:27 pm

AspieDave wrote:
If the parents are anything like the New Agers I knew in college 25 years ago they're probably using their children's "special abilities" to look for wood elves.... Not kidding I knew a young woman who wandered the wooded campus looking for elves. WITHOUT having ingested any herbal or fungal intoxicants. Helluva D&D player though.....

HAHAHA oh that made my day! :D

Did she tell you what these elves looked like? Take any non-prescription meds? Use 'shrooms of the magic variety in her cooking instead of the normal kind? Deary me...

I picture her now as a crazy lady who wears purple hats, sits on the side of the road and spits.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 8:07 pm

AspieDave wrote:
Not kidding I knew a young woman who wandered the wooded campus looking for elves.

Looking isn't the major problem. The problem would be if she actually found some. ;-)

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:16 pm

Sounds like parents trying to excuse their children's spoiled brat behavior.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:17 pm

She did like purple, and as far as I know she didn't find any. I imagine Peter Jackson's extended editions are playing in her home quite a bit. 8)