Reaction Time and Hand-Eye Coordination

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 2:16 pm

Last night I was playing a card game with a few people that's mostly a game of quick reactions and good hand-eye coordination. I was terrible at it. Everyone is distributed an equal share of cards at first; and then they lay cards down, rotating across the players. If two cards in a row match, the first person to slap the stack wins all the cards on the stack. The same outcomes applies if two cards match with one card in between. Also, if someone lays down a face card (jack, queen, king, or ace), the next person has to keep laying down cards (only one chance if it was a jack, two if it was a queen, three if it was a king, and four if it was an ace) until they put down a face card of their own or else the person who laid down the face card wins all the cards on the stack; of course, the match-slap rules still apply, too.

Anyway, I was lucky to keep some cards so long through the game. It was mostly luck of having face cards that other people could not beat. I did not once win cards by slapping matches. The girl who explained the game had a very quick reaction time: milliseconds. Mine could probably be measured in seconds! For one thing, the cards of the same rank of different suits look different, so that's some cognitive processing there. Matching cards with one spacer card between them means keeping track of two different matching cards for each time a new card is put out. I never had the speed for this game.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 2:19 pm

The person explaining the game had presumably played it before and had more practice?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2005, 4:22 pm

I love that game!! ! :D :D :D

My reaction time is unusually good, so I dominate most people I play games like thaat with. Being flinchy and thinking too fast has it's advantages.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 12:00 am

LOL!

I know what game your talking about - and I had the exact same thing happen to me.

Please see
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... pic&t=986&

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:37 am

DrizzleMan wrote:
The person explaining the game had presumably played it before and had more practice?

Probably, but I wasn't getting any better as the game went on. Another guy who had played the game before but knew it by a different name had trouble too but not nearly as much as I did. By the way, you don't know the hand you've been dealt because you can't look at the cards ahead of time. Towards the end, though, the other players were aware of the order of the last few cards one of two who remained had.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:28 pm

My reaction time is infantesamal, but thats because I play PC games, so I have learned to react to anything.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 1:49 pm

My reaction time is decent, but anyone marginally good at it could beat the living tar out of me at video game that needs reaction.

my Eye-Hand-Foot coorindation is literally in the lower 10% of the population, and it shows. I don't hurt myself, but I am clearly "Trippy."

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 5:56 pm

I have a good reaction time, on this test I average around 0.17, never worse than 0.2 and sometimes better than 0.12.

I know for a fact that my reaction can be slightly better than 0.07 seconds because playing (29.97hz TV based) video games I can react to someone else's actions in less than two frames.

Last edited by Tim_p on 04 Sep 2005, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 7:23 pm

Yeah, hand-eye speed is something most NTs can beat us at hands down. Stuff like that and multitasking is really rooted in a persons cerebellum and as far as I understand, that's one of our usual areas of neurological deficiency.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 7:38 pm

My hand eye coordination is amazing, but I can't ride a bike at all........

Its odd that way.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 8:08 pm

Yes, hand-eye coordination and reaction times are things I've always had trouble with. This is why driving is so hard for me.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 1:33 am

I shake,I have tremors...so my coordination is bupkus

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 2:50 am

Another great thing about that too - if your playing it with women, a lot of times women will always kick a dude's a55 in that. Main reason being, again, more of that brain structure stuff.

What really bugged me for a while is that me and my friends used to like playing Euchre and Spades. One of the reasons why we stopped is that it was usually me, him, his wife, and another girl and that they started really getting this great kick out of cheating. I mean they not only thought it was absolutely hillarious that they could do all this in front of us (mind you, we'd all drank a lot and it was tough enough to keep up with the game) but really were going off on that sort of "well, if they're too slow to follow it they deserve it" bit and turned it into a feminist male-bashing thing when my friend got pissed about it. Lol, suffice to say we haven't played cards in at least 6 or 7 months.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

magic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 11:27 am

Tim_p wrote:
I have a good reaction time, on this test I average around 0.17, never worse than 0.2 and sometimes better than 0.12.

Oh, an online test!! ! :D My result is 0.24 with little variation (the best result 0.22). On a real intersection most people seem to have a response time at of at least 1 second (often longer) when the light changes to green. I routinely beat Corvettes with my Corolla.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 11:50 am

My best time was .34 and the worst one was two .411's. The average was .378. A lot slower than average, but decent enough.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/reactionquiz.shtml

Not sceintific, but other tests (scientific) have shown coorindation for me to be in the lower 90% for me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 11:52 am

on the second try (after a few technical errors) I ended up with an average of .184 with a high of .218 and a low of .141 . I don't think that's too terribly difficult though, it's when your playing a game of Speed with someone (ie a card game similar to what this thread was started on) where you see me losing horribly and after a while, at my best, maybe just losing by a little.