Why is aspergers syndrome grouped with autism?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2008, 5:08 pm

anbuend wrote:
Years of education completed only? Or do they say what's being done in those years?

I don't know. The data I usually look at is demographic. It did not break it down that specifically.

Quote:
So I got little to no retainable education at school, I got that lots of other places though. :)

Again, I can't emphasize enough that statistical data does not refer to individuals, and cannot be used to make individual predictions. It only refers to categories.

For instance, American automobile insurance companies know that males under 25 have a high rate of accidents. Therefore, all things being equal, they charge them more insurance than females under 25 or people over 25. Does that mean that "Joe," an 18-year-old male, is more likely to have an auto accident than "Susan," an 18-year-old female? No. Statistics cannot be used that way.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2008, 11:28 pm

Sora wrote:
I wonder about the connection between IQ and academic success too. Are there decent studies about this connection? Everybody is talking about this, including the psychologist I saw, but when it comes to me, the people try and fail to find an answer as to why I'm not a top student, but instead in the lowest third of the year in terms of academic achievements. I was always told by people that the only possibility left why I fail in academics must be that I fail on purpose.

Is there a good study of the academic success of autistic people maybe?

The easy answer is always used, just like 45 years ago. And it so neatly blames the child.

I did have acadermic success, nothing else. I finally got expelled because they were afraid I would make it through. I am glad some are allowed to get the doctor title. I had alot of persons determined to stop me like a boat wake before I was stopped. Almost doctor, back for a BS, then AAS, finally forced to get a GED. I usually admit to Associate only. I plan to get an online degree now. What I really want is a job in a warehouse or filing, but keep losing them. Pdoc says capable of working, but I don't know now to keep the jobs and still taking the blame. I make coworkiers uncomfortable. Poor things :roll:

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 7:44 pm

Group Theory topic

This thread got spun off on a tangen-- but an interesting one :!: :D

I have always maintained that Asperger's Syndrome is on the Autism Spectrum with other classifications. Downs is also a Syndrome, and lives on a Spectrum of its own.

As for the IQ score as an indication or measure of academic success: It may measure how well someone does with classroom work but when application comes into the scenario there is no prediction of success. I scored very high in Nursing Theory in a classroom setting and even won a scholarship because of my grades. I was a theory tutor in nursing courses and helped many students who had trouble with theory courses but who did well in the practical hands-on portion. However, there was no tutoring for me in the practice in which I did very poorly. I failed two out of three of my nursing practice sections and was asked to leave the programme, and not to return. It took me a long time to come to terms with this failure. I have problems with practising what I have learned. It has something to do with CAPD and Dyspraxia. It is a shortcoming I have had to learn to accept. This was ten years ago.

Could I try something else? I have tried so many programmes that I have run out of money. I have been told I cannot take any more training. (I am thinking--I have another idea in mind.) Now all I want is any job because I have a family to support. Employment insurance only goes so far.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 9:06 pm

eScential wrote:
I know this is Humans' Nature, but still don't comprehend this. How is all depression suicide or attemped? Why are all Downs 'morons'? or all autistics head-bangers?

Simple ignorance, I'm thinking.

For example, I didn't know until I read this thread that Down's syndrome doesn't necessarily mean low IQ. And I like to think I'm not stupid -- I had just never been told that before.

Similarly, when I date, I don't tell a guy I'm autistic until we've had enough dates that he knows I don't spend my time in a dark room banging my head against the wall and muttering on about train sets. Not because the guys I date are idiots, but because most NT's simply don't know much about autism.