Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 9:23 pm

Why does everyone seem to change their underwear once a day? I sometimes wear the same ones for 4-5 days and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Socks I can understand changing every few days though.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:50 pm

:x

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:11 am

Sargon wrote:
Why does everyone seem to change their underwear once a day? I sometimes wear the same ones for 4-5 days and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Socks I can understand changing every few days though.

I guess it's OK for guys to go a long time without changing their underwear. I think it's more important for women to change their underwear daily. And everyone should change their socks daily to prevent foot odor.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:25 am

I don't like to wash my pants and shirts any more often than necessary. Washing clothes slowly weakens them. I can't afford to buy clothes that are sturdy enough to stand up to years of washing. I can't afford to buy enough clothes to have a completely new outfit for every day of the week. So I have a few cheap pairs of pants and a few t-shirts.

After I've worn an article of clothing for a few days, it becomes so nice and soft. Every morning, I pick up yesterday's clothes off the floor and shake off the dog hair and sand. If a shirt smells bad, I hang it outside for a few hours - that always works. If a shirt is wrinkled, I hang it in the bathroom while I take a shower (steam removes wrinkles). I like to wear the same outfit day after day because that way I don't have to decide what to wear first thing in the morning when I'm tired and there are more important things to think about.

I do wash my clothes, especially when I have to look Presentable for work or something. I like the smell of freshly washed clothes. I don't wear the same thing two days in a row to work. Only on my own time.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2008, 7:57 pm

I always change underwear daily but clothes I may wear up to three days.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:01 am

At home I will wear some of the same clothes for a few days. Almost all of is black or gray in color. At home.

Undies get changes daily. Socks may go 2 days.

I also shower 2-4 times a day. Really helps with the allergies. Not much pain in my sinuses in the hot steam of the shower!

Now when I am out and about in NT la-la land, I wear purple, green, blue, red, and even orange.

Home is sanctuary and comfort reigns king there.

ZiiP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2008, 11:23 am

I think it is important to change socks, underwear and undershirts every day since they accumulate organic material that will smell badly if it becomes moist. It is an experimental fact that the sense of smell is a differential sensor, i.e. you only smell the change in odors, not the odors themselves. The change from a more smelly place to a less smelly place is more subtle than coming from fresh air into a smelly place. Furthermore, humans grow accustomed to smells they encounter frequently, which is very bad in a laboratory situation like I had before. You cannot detect that your own home has a smell, unless you been away on vacation for more than a month. When you do come home, it will smell "like home" and you may not recognize that it stinks.

Beeing an Aspie, you do not necessarily detect that anyone is fraying their eyebrows or wrinkling their nose. Most people avoid comments related to smells, as it would be rude. Therefore, you will likely never get a verbal comment even if you stink badly. Take for example homeless people or severe alcoholists; noone ever comments verbally on their smell!

Having said that, I do wear the same pants several days in a row, never more than 5 days. I have found that owning several identical, or different colors of the same piece of clothing helps.

The following item has not been tested and may not work. I would expect that if you use different deodorant on two consequtive days, you might be able to apply the "smell test" to upper torso clothing. This assumes that you shower before going to bed.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:27 pm

Changing your clothes every day is a good start, but clearly is nowhere near enough. Think about it it, you have that same germ-ridden skin on all the time.

For true holistic cleanliness, you should change you're skin at least once a week.

jeanine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2008, 11:02 pm

I have a special pair of pants that I wear every time I'm allowed to wear jeans. They just feel the best.

gunslinger493
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2008, 10:51 pm

At my old job, we had work uniforms, I wear my regular clothes for about 20 minutes a day. At home, when I lived by myself, I would just sit around in my underwear all the time.
So I always wore the same shirt and pants for about a week or so.

At my current job, I usually wear the same pants for a few days, but change shirts every day.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 11:10 pm

If the clothes don't smell bad and aren't dirty, I wear them again.

If they get sweaty etc, I will chuck them out to be washed.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2008, 9:28 pm

yes! most clothes doesn't feel right... I have to repeat the ones I like. I hate synthetic.

Larree
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2008, 8:15 pm

Well, I can wear a shirt for two or three days if I don't sweat much, but I cannot take a shirt off and put it back on. Like, I have to sleep in it. And I once wore a pair of jeans for about two weeks. But, I do not do that regularly!

tahloola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2008, 9:14 pm

The only time I really loved clothes is when I got interested in collecting them. I collected leather jackets, pants, skirts. vests....in different colours....they are still hanging in one of my closets....all carefully stored in clothing bags. Wear them? you got to be kidding!! :lol:

I also have a pants collection, a shirt collection.....etc...

for a while I took pleasure in hanging them in colour combinations so that I could admire them...once in a while I would try to wear them....but couldn't stand it and would have to take them off. Finally after a few years I got really bored having them all liined up...plus they did get dusty - cripes!! sounds gross - (but sorry to say folks, dust happens to the best of us!)...anyway the dust thing pis**ed me off....so I rolled them up into balls and stuffed them into a plastic tub and threw them in the basement....

I like tee-shirts...soft tee's...(mostly black)....but sometimes I like tee shirts that say things like "hug a tree"... or "save the whales"....

the only pair of jeans I like is this pair that cost me a fortune but are so soft....they are soft even if you wash them and don't put them in the dryer...(which I never do - because why should I use electricity (and pay for it) to dry something as stupid as clothing? :lol:

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

I prefer to wear the same clothes over and over, but My parents don't let me! They think people will notice.

But if I went to school the other day and now I'm going to the theater, I don't see the reason to change clothe unless I'm meeting somebody that I saw at school.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 10:52 am

Pants or Jeans I can wear for up to a week. The other items I need to change everyday.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman