Supporting Member

14 Jan 2008, 7:27 pm

So my life. Thanks for sharing!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 7:39 pm

Yep... this is me.

and my kids, though to a lesser extent because they don't have all the reading skills yet.

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2008, 8:16 pm

I wish someone noticed me during Elementry School. It would have made things SO MUCH MORE easier than not knowing until right before starting middle school at age 11 where you are already going through a huge change and then having that pop up suddenly. -Power Girl

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 8:46 pm

That's the story of MY life also. For ME, it might have been more like:

Quote:
For a 7-year-old, Jake Steve is very clear about what he wants to be when he grows up.

"I want to be an electronic engineer," said Steve, whose room does not hide his fascination.

Shelves are covered with science and electronic books, containing pictorals and schematics which Steve explains are ways to describe the construction of electric circuits. Where there aren't books and papers, there are parts, solder, and tools.

But Steve's not going to work for others — he'll work in his own.

That Steve knows he wants to work for himself is just a tiny hint of his disorder. There were others when he was growing up that, when strung together, began to spell out Asperger's syndrome.

"Even when he was a baby, he would sit alone and play contently by himself," his mother said of her son who was examined at 6 before AS was a diagnosis. "He didn't have any developmental delays; he was never good at sports, but there was nothing that would set us off."

Asperger's syndrome is one of the autism spectrum disorders. Children with Asperger's typically have normal or above-normal IQs but struggle with social aspects of language and nonverbal communication, according to diagnostic criteria for the disorder.

The disorder is also marked by intense preoccupation around one or more patterns of interest.

That was evident very early on with Steve.

"When he was about 3, he learned to read pictorals. He'd have circuits memorized before he even read the text," "If you asked him a question about electronics, he could tell you these amazing facts."

In preschool, other characteristics became more pronounced.

"The teachers were concerned because he would often go sit in a corner by himself, and draw pictorals" LaBorde said.

In kindergarten, the behavior got worse. Her son was ritualistic, protective of his toys and obsessive about certain things.

"He won't wear anything with a hole in it, not even a sock."

Every possible reason for his behavior — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Fathers attention, among others — was offered up.

Nobody mentioned it might be autism.

:lol:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
That's the story of MY life also. For ME, it might have been more like:

Quote:
For a 7-year-old, Jake Steve is very clear about what he wants to be when he grows up.

"I want to be an electronic engineer," said Steve, whose room does not hide his fascination.

Shelves are covered with science and electronic books, containing pictorals and schematics which Steve explains are ways to describe the construction of electric circuits. Where there aren't books and papers, there are parts, solder, and tools.

But Steve's not going to work for others — he'll work in his own.

That Steve knows he wants to work for himself is just a tiny hint of his disorder. There were others when he was growing up that, when strung together, began to spell out Asperger's syndrome.

"Even when he was a baby, he would sit alone and play contently by himself," his mother said of her son who was examined at 6 before AS was a diagnosis. "He didn't have any developmental delays; he was never good at sports, but there was nothing that would set us off."

Asperger's syndrome is one of the autism spectrum disorders. Children with Asperger's typically have normal or above-normal IQs but struggle with social aspects of language and nonverbal communication, according to diagnostic criteria for the disorder.

The disorder is also marked by intense preoccupation around one or more patterns of interest.

That was evident very early on with Steve.

"When he was about 3, he learned to read pictorals. He'd have circuits memorized before he even read the text," "If you asked him a question about electronics, he could tell you these amazing facts."

In preschool, other characteristics became more pronounced.

"The teachers were concerned because he would often go sit in a corner by himself, and draw pictorals" LaBorde said.

In kindergarten, the behavior got worse. Her son was ritualistic, protective of his toys and obsessive about certain things.

"He won't wear anything with a hole in it, not even a sock."

Every possible reason for his behavior — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Fathers attention, among others — was offered up.

Nobody mentioned it might be autism.

:lol:

whats so funny?