Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2008, 8:20 am

Is acid reflux something that is common to suffer from if you are on the spectrum and if so why?.
I have been getting so much burning and pain,i have had this all my life though it doesnt always burn.My food has to be swallowed back down all the time.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:36 am

I get acid reflux sometimes. But then I am easily stressed out. I think in general, most people with AS find life more stressful for obvious reasons. I know that bowel disorders such as IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) can be common among aspies but am not sure about acid reflux as only some IBS sufferers (like myself) get it, but others don't. It can be caused by stress but some people are just unfortunately predisposed to getting it.

StrangeGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2008, 10:58 am

cataspie wrote:
Is acid reflux something that is common to suffer from if you are on the spectrum and if so why?.
I have been getting so much burning and pain,i have had this all my life though it doesnt always burn.My food has to be swallowed back down all the time.

My mother, myself and my daughter all have it. I have it less than in my younger years though.

Do you know what to do with it?

talitha_kumi
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2008, 11:41 am

One of the known triggers for acid reflux is stress. Aspies are very likely to get stressed. It would make sense that they're more likely to get acid reflux, along with the various other stress-triggered illnesses.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2008, 1:55 pm

StrangeGirl wrote:
cataspie wrote:

My mother, myself and my daughter all have it. I have it less than in my younger years though.

Do you know what to do with it?
Mints can help stop the burning.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 2:26 pm

I had acid reflux. I cured it with probiotics. I bought 3 brands with over 1 billion good bacteria each and it cured me. The information below may explain why probiotics helped me:

Quote:
For many people who are lactose intolerant are being helped by the ingestion of probiotics to introduce beneficial yeast and bacteria into the digestive tract. A connection between probiotics and acid reflux relief is thought to be available for persons suffering from helicobacter pylori infection, a known cause of acid reflux. However, there remains dispute that a connection between probiotics and acid reflux relief when it is caused by other issues...

http://cure-acidreflux.org/category/acid-reflux-causes

16 Jan 2008, 3:21 pm

I had a next door neighbor who had it. He said he had it since he was a baby because he was always throwing up and that is why he is fat but my mother said no it's because he eats too much before his tummy gets the chance to digest the food so the top never closes and that's why he has it.

Before, he told me he has been fat since he was 7 because he was eating all this candy and sweets. He was nine years old when we first met and he was already wearing men clothes.

I wondered if he had AS or not. My parents wondered the same thing but in his situation it was hard to tell because his mother neglected him, so he didn't have very good hygiene and child abuse can lead the child to be a loner and not have very good social skills. I think it got reported to child service because he disappeared one day.
Children can have very poor hygiene if their parents don't ever tell them to shower or clean up, don't ever teach them to be clean.
Also the kid had behavior problems too and had problems with listening to his mother so she screamed at him a lot and hit him or pull his hair or ears. I know child abuse can make it harder for the child to listen and learn so that could be why he had behavior problems.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 16 Jan 2008, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2008, 3:24 pm

I get acid reflux when I'm stressed (or on antibiotics). It's not too bad though and can be controlled with tablets.

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2008, 3:50 pm

I have terrible acid reflux but I'm not sure it's an aspie thing. I had it forever without knowing what it was. Much like the AS. LOL Is zendell some sort of advertiser or something? All the responses are about probiotics for all that ails us. LOL

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:27 pm

sonny1471 wrote:
LOL Is zendell some sort of advertiser or something? All the responses are about probiotics for all that ails us. LOL

No. I'm not an advertiser. :lol: I tried dozens of supplements and probiotics were the best. I really improved with the gluten-free/casein-free diet but, thanks to probiotics, I no longer have to be on the diet. I believe that probiotics cured me of 10 symptoms that conventional doctors consider incurable. Probiotics are awesome and I think everyone may benefit from trying them.

Probiotics are the "good" bacteria in the digestive tract. They aren't a brand name. There are dozens of brands of probiotics. I don't recommend anyone in particular. Researchers are finding out how important these bacteria are to our immune system and our health in general.

Doctors who unnecessarily prescribed millions of antibiotics which destroy these "good" bacteria may be the cause of modern chronic health problems. Probiotics replace the bacteria that doctors destroyed with the antibiotics they wrongly prescribed.

Did I mention I hate Western medicine, Big Pharma, and the crap that conventional doctors learn in medical schools? I believe they are responsible for the suffering of millions of people who are chronically ill thanks to their dangerous drugs and medical practices. I want everyone to be healthy and happy and I believe that safe, natural, alternative treatments such as probiotics can correct some of the damage caused by the Western medical system. I post this stuff because I have a strong desire to help other people.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:35 pm

Stay away from dairy, jeez.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:39 pm

zendell wrote:
I believe that probiotics cured me of 10 symptoms that conventional doctors consider incurable.

Placebo.

Quote:
Did I mention I hate Western medicine, Big Pharma, and the crap that conventional doctors learn in medical schools? I believe they are responsible for the suffering of millions of people who are chronically ill thanks to their dangerous drugs and medical practices. I want everyone to be healthy and happy and I believe that safe, natural, alternative treatments such as probiotics can correct some of the damage caused by the Western medical system. I post this stuff because I have a strong desire to help other people.

Telling people to avoid doctors isn't helping. It's hurting and is really stupid.

There are quacks in both traditional and alternative medicine. However, there are more quacks on the alternative side.

There's a reason Kevin Trudeau was convicted of grand larceny.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:52 pm

beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
I believe that probiotics cured me of 10 symptoms that conventional doctors consider incurable.

Placebo.

I experienced some of my symptoms every day for years and now they never occur. You can't call that a placebo effect. There isn't much proof that a placebo effect even exists. Someone does a study and about 20% say they feel slightly better and it's called a placebo effect. The reality is that 20% would have felt better anyway even if they weren't given anything.

Quote:
Telling people to avoid doctors isn't helping. It's hurting and is really stupid.

I disagree. I believe doctors do more harm than good. I like the site http://www.doctoryourself.com/ I agree with them that "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. This especially includes your health care."

Quote:

That's one explanation. Another is that his natural cures are threatening the profits of big pharmaceutical companies so they got the government to lock him up.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:56 pm

zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
Quote:

That's one explanation. Another is that his natural cures are threatening the profits of big pharmaceutical companies so they got the government to lock him up.

No.

He was convicted because he couldn't back up his claims.

Despite this, his books STILL sell millions of copies.

He's nothing but a fraud and a con man.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:01 pm

And if you have acid reflux because of a hiatal hernia like I do.... medication or surgery is the only answer. Since at 10 years, they found the medicated patients doing BETTER than the surgical ones... I'm staying on the pills. 8)

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:11 pm

beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
Quote:

No.

He was convicted because he couldn't back up his claims.

Despite this, his books STILL sell millions of copies.

Did you ever stop to think about WHY his books still sell millions of copies? Maybe it's because his natural cures work. His book, "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About" is rated 5 starts out of 5 by most of the 2,365 people who reviewed it on amazon.com. Here's the link if you don't believe me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975599518

Safe, natural, alternative cures and treatments have been practiced for thousands of years. Then, Big Pharma (and their government group - the FDA) came along and required expensive, multi-million dollar studies to prove each individual treatment effective which allowed Big Pharma to monopolize health care because only patentable treatments are worth the expense to prove them effective.