Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2008, 1:13 pm

I love to be pedantic.
Even knowing that pedantic speech is a symptom of AS, and is not generally perceived to be a positive quality, does not deter me. I also very much enjoy listening to the pedantic speech of others. My favorite teacher in hich school was the most pedantic speaker I've ever met, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's here on WP somewhere.
Anyone share this appreciation?
Feel free to be as pedantic as possible in your response 8)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:18 pm

Pedantic speech. Ahh. Yes, I do appreciate pedantic speech. Indeed, I might add that I specialize in this modality of locution and do so enjoy, even if my tendencies tend to cause consternation among my unfortunate listeners.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

AdvenaIngenium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2008, 2:03 pm

Rynessa wrote:
Anyone share this appreciation?

Yes.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 3:08 pm

Pedantifying speech topic

I find I understand these sort of words better than the chit chat, but it must be written language because I have a challenging time understanding and engaging in oral speech unless I am hyperfocussed, as in a lecture, when I can write things down for later perusal. (What a long sentence.)

Aspies may well be the originators of such speech.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2008, 3:16 pm

I love pedantic speech. I love using it and i love hearing it! I don't often use it online though because i cannot spell the words. :lol:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

19 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

Rynessa wrote:
I love to be pedantic.

Well...I don't.
It was one of the main reasons in high school why I "didn't fit in". I don't want to continue doing something, that hinders my ability to make friends even further.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:53 pm

Let me point out a great difference between truly pedantic speech and another form of speech which may be oft mistaken as a form of pedantism by casual listeners; this oyher form being bureauctatese.

Whilst it is true that each mode of locution may involve the employment of esotwric and polysyllabic terminology, it ought be noted that pedantic speakers use such words to enhance precision in the expression of underlying concepts. This stands in contrast to bureaucratese wherein such lofty words are used to disguise the sorry fact that there are no underlying concepts to be expressed.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:59 pm

Absolutely love AS writing... Check out www.ihaveaspergers.co.uk and www.oldtechnology.net

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:59 pm

Gah, I love being pedantic!! !

I can't say the same for my listeners though. :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 6:16 pm

Sophist, you are a true pedant. By this I do not mean that you hang on someone's neck.

Weirdobird
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2008, 7:02 pm

nutbag wrote:
Pedantic speech. Ahh. Yes, I do appreciate pedantic speech. Indeed, I might add that I specialize in this modality of locution and do so enjoy, even if my tendencies tend to cause consternation among my unfortunate listeners.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(pedantic laughing at self, for the purpose of enjoyment of aforementioned activity)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:23 pm

Hi Rynessa, you were my student?

:P

Zarathustra wrote:
Absolutely love AS writing... Check out www.ihaveaspergers.co.uk and www.oldtechnology.net

OMG, that .co.uk one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The guy and his plate!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:37 pm

nutbag wrote:
Let me point out a great difference between truly pedantic speech and another form of speech which may be oft mistaken as a form of pedantism by casual listeners; this oyher form being bureauctatese.

Whilst it is true that each mode of locution may involve the employment of esotwric and polysyllabic terminology, it ought be noted that pedantic speakers use such words to enhance precision in the expression of underlying concepts. This stands in contrast to bureaucratese wherein such lofty words are used to disguise the sorry fact that there are no underlying concepts to be expressed.

I LOVE IT! WELL SAID!! !! !

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:45 pm

I supposedly have it; I don't see it, but that's for the professionals to decide however.

Isn't pedantic speech the strict use of dictionary/encyclopedic terms that don't deviate from their real meaning; the use of utter factual accuracy in conversations in relation to points made?

"Big-words" don't define it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

computerlove wrote:
Hi Rynessa, you were my student?

:P

Zarathustra wrote:

OMG, that .co.uk one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The guy and his plate!

WOW, I read the UK one, at least the first 1/4, and tried to scan the rest of the UK one. That person sounded a bit like me. I liked snarf too, though I didn't try to emulate him! :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 9:05 pm

I, to take the advocacy of the devil in hand, prefer succinctness, the well-turned phrase, bon mot, or staircase wit summing up a knowledgeable, practical, and short answer. Not to mention being easier to shoehorn out of my mouth..;)