Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

22 Jan 2008, 1:50 am

I read on the Autism Discussion board that you aren't supposed to feel your clothes when you have them on. You feel them for a few minutes after you put them on and then the feeling goes away.

I have always thought you feel them on you all the time. I hated jeans as a kid because they felt tight and heavy and I only like soft clothing.

So is there any NTs who can feel their clothes?

Can you feel your shoes too when you are wearing them?

Can you feel your clothes when you move around in them? eg, walking, sitting and standing up, moving your legs when you switch positions when you are sitting on the couch.

I was totally shocked by this fact. Now I am wondering if I am not supposed to feel my clothes as I walk, move my arms around and my legs, and am I not supposed to feel my shoes either, even when I wiggle my toes and my feet in them?

How does it feel when you don't feel your clothes? Does it feel like you have nothing on?

I have rarely had those strange feelings when I felt I had nothing on because I felt naked even though I had my clothes on. Now I'm wondering if that's what you guys feel all the time.

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2008, 6:16 am

for me it really depends on the clothes. 99.999% of the time I know my clothes are on me. I have one shirt that makes me feel naked :oops:
When I wear it, I have to double check I actually put a shirt on.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 6:26 am

the only time i feel my clothing is when it's uncomfortable.....like when the shoes i'm wearing are too tight, have a rock in them etc.

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2008, 7:25 am

I find that I am always aware of my clothes, seams, collars, cuffs,waistebands etc. I am officially an NT, at least I've lived that way all my life. Cor my wife suspects tht may not be accurate, and I do score high on the Aspie side of a couple of the quizes I have taken, but in any case, Girl, you are not alone in feeling your clothes.

Naynay4triunegod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2008, 2:57 pm

that sounds about right to me spokane. i feel clothes for maybe the first few minutes after i put them on but then i more or less forget the feeling. now i DO feel the seams of my socks and stuff it they are in the wrong place and the shoe is pressing against them, or if the clothes don't fit well or something.

i don't usually feel them just from switching positions, but sometimes i do. i've never really thought much about it before...hmmm...in day to day living, i'm just aware of them for a few minutes each day. i mean, the feeling is always THERE, but it's easy to tune out i guess most of the time. i don't think about them much, if that's what you mean

i'm probably confusing you more than i'm helping you LOL. i'll shut up now :lol:

EDIT: unless something brings it to my attention, my brain screens out the feeling of my clothes, and then when something DOES bring it to my attention, i think about it for a little bit then screen it out again. hopefully that makes more sense :P

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:38 pm

I feel my clothes for the entire day and I'm NT (but very picky about most things)

Odrixs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2008, 5:09 pm

I'm an NT and only feel clothes when I put it on, and then forget about it. I like to look at it when I'm waering it and sometimes touch it,specially when its something I think I look pretty in it :)

Lunacie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2008, 5:38 pm

I'm pretty new here and don't know what "NT" means, but unless I'm pretty focused on something I'm nearly always aware of any clothes or shoes I'm wearing. And I'm aware of my hair as often as not, especially if it's past time to get my bangs trimmed.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2008, 1:08 am

it depends on the clothes but i have to agree that i just don't usually notice them unless they're uncomfortable or something, except for shoes for the first week or two after i have had to get out of my sandels.
it's not like feeling naked, just like not being aware of the sensation of them, although now i am very conciusly aware of my clothes but couldn't really describe how they feel.

interesting post.

(by the way NT means neuro typical (aka "normal") people, or rather those not on the spectrum or diagnosed(dx'd) with any neurological disability)