Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Apr 2008, 7:17 pm

My new NT friend was visiting today, and I was glad that we were indoors, because of how loudly she talks. I notice that when I am extremely tired, like today, I either get hyper-sensitive or hypo-sensitive to noise. Thank God today I was hypo-sensitive! 8)

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2008, 9:44 am

i get so annoyed by people who talk too loud or laugh maniacally...i get paranoid and feel like they're attacking me.

Rowen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2008, 12:53 pm

Yes I hate when they talk to loadly and lean in too close and you can smell their bad breath. This one guy I worked with had such horrible breath I thought I was actually going to vomit.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:50 pm

criss wrote:
I would say that living loudly gets on my nerves. I have the quiet type of AS. Earplugs is my middle name

First off, YES, like most of you I can't stand loud people.

I have two co-workers that are loud. One had ear infections as a child and the other is just a strong extrovert. They have been so loud in the past, that I had ear plugs in a-n-d then earphones (like the kind you would wear around heavy machinery or gun shooting) and I could still hear their conversation. I kid you not.

I realized that was not going to work, so I went to plan B.

I believe Criss is right when he said some people talk loud because they were not shown attention as kids. Well the one guy who is an extrovert comes from a big family and is the first-born. With him I have learned to ask him question that *only* he can answer. It inflates his ego and since then he doesn't talk as much.

The other guy has a damaged eardrum so with him I have learned to push some of his buttons to get him to be quiet. I don't like to do this and don't do it often, but he also seeks attention sometimes and I have work to get done. Work is more important.

When I leave my job I have been contemplating on telling them. Not that it would do any good for anything except give me a cause to smile.

Oh one other thing, I have found listening to certain types of music helps cover the frequencys of their voices and drowns them out well without high volume. Metallica is a favorite.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

I hate loud people. It is annoying.............

Rowen

01 May 2008, 11:25 am

ManErg wrote:
criss wrote:
I would say that living loudly gets on my nerves. I have the quiet type of AS. Earplugs is my middle name

Seconded! It's not just volume of voice, but the loudness of people who have to have loud houses, loud cars, loud jobs, EVERYTHING LOUD. I'm annoyed by people who have loud carbon footprints. You know, those who are 'conspicuous consumers'.

Yeah loud cars like red sports car or gigantic SUV's that are always driving aggressively and cutting in front of other cars and speeding etc.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2008, 9:06 pm

I grew up in a very loud family as the oldest of 4 kids and the only girl. My dad has a deep voice anyway, but he would also yell a lot (for his hearing loss as well as yelling at us kids) and my mother would get this weird shrillness to her voice. My brothers and I could not stand it. It was like metal forks across a dinner plate. HORRIBLE sound!

Now, I have a family of my own (3 kids) and while they can be loud and I've found myself yelling just to be heard, I've begun just saying 'shhh' when I need quiet. It's helped.

I hate the tv, too, because it's a constant drone of chaos, but I try to put up with it because my oldest and my husband have a thing for video games and my middle one has a thing for specific tv shows. (I put on my iPod, but then I can't tell if the baby's crying!)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:32 pm

I don't like to be around people who are habitually loud. I can understand why people tend to speak loudly in certain situations, including when talking on cell phones, but I don't understand why some people must speak loudly all the time. It comes across as aggressive.

Another loudness thing that really annoys me is how some people must have background noise all the time and prefer for this background noise to take the form of irritating TV shows. You know - the people who sleep in front of the TV, with the volume up all the way, so those "Paid Programming" ads blare loudly all night long. Of course if I don't have to live with the person and their loud TV, I don't care. Unfortunately, my experiences with housemates have taught me that there are more Loud TV Addicts out there than you might imagine. Has anyone else encountered this?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

03 May 2008, 10:44 pm

I find it annoying when people want to blast a loud bothersome fan just because it's summertime. I would rather sweat my ass off than listen to a noisy fan.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2008, 10:57 pm

velodog wrote:
I find it annoying when people want to blast a loud bothersome fan just because it's summertime. I would rather sweat my ass off than listen to a noisy fan.

Right on,.

My husband insists on using the vent-a-hood over the stove or the bathroom fans and both drive me completely out of my mind!! !

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2008, 11:03 pm

I'm annoyed by loud people too. The particular loud nasal shrillness of a deaf girl in my high school class drove me nuts. I'm constantly told I'm too quiet though - I think I sound plenty loud enough, but even those quite near me say I'm hardly projecting at all.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:17 pm

I hate it when peole are talking loudly on a cell phone when they are near me.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 8:33 am

[quote="SilverProteus"][quote="Goche21"]It's always annoying to sit next to someone shouting into their cell.[/quote]

I second that. The worst part is, they usually don't ever have anything interesting to say. :roll:[/quote]

I hate being at a URINAL with someone talking on the phone next to me.

I heard that iPod earphones and such are damaging peoples hearing , which would make them talk louder at each other.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:05 am

Tohlagos wrote:
criss wrote:

I have two co-workers that are loud. One had ear infections as a child and the other is just a strong extrovert. They have been so loud in the past, that I had ear plugs in a-n-d then earphones (like the kind you would wear around heavy machinery or gun shooting) and I could still hear their conversation. I kid you not.

I have a co-worker like that. I could hear him over plugs , earphones, and heavy machinary.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 12:52 am

opal wrote:
Tohlagos wrote:
criss wrote:

I have a co-worker like that. I could hear him over plugs , earphones, and heavy machinary.

It is starting to drive me nuts. When I leave my job, I will be soooooo happy not to be around all that. Even if the next one has someone like this, the room I hope will be much larger and at least have wall dividers. (Correct, I have no privacy as well.)

Anyone out there have any ideas besides headphones, earplugs, music, and those Bose speakers to cut off bothersome noise?

Actually I have not tried the Bose speakers... hmm..... pricey though...... but if they work....hmmmmmmmm.