Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:22 am

An unusual thing happened last night- a couple I know invited me over to play a board game (there was also pizza). It was this fascinating game I had never heard of- Settlers of Catan. At first it seemed really complicated, but it's not. It was a lot more fun than I remembered Risk being.
Wikipedia link
Have any of you played this game, and if so, what do you think?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 12:00 pm

Never played it, but I have heard of the one problem with the trading of resource cards - that is, the immortal cry, "I've got wood for sheep!" :)

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

Yeah, I love that game!

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 2:33 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Never played it, but I have heard of the one problem with the trading of resource cards - that is, the immortal cry, "I've got wood for sheep!" :)

Yes, it was difficult for me to not think of syphilis when I saw the drawings of sheep.
Addendum: I didn't say that to be rude or grotesque- I really do deal with STI's all day- I even have a co-worker who calls me "The STD Queen". At least I am the queen of something.
But it is everything a board game should be. The right mix of strategy and chance...simple enough to enjoy the first time, and intriguing enough to want to play AGAIN!! Soon!

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 10:02 pm

my sister introduced the family to the game, apparently it's popular out in Saskatchewan. anyways i loved the game and a bunch of people in engineering play it. we've got a set at Leo's (the engineering lounge) and every once in a while we'll play a game.

Strange
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2008, 7:11 pm

I have played it quite a lot. It's a very good game.

This is the perfect exemple of german style boardgame.
- The rule are quite simple but strategy is interesting
- A game last less than two hours
- Nobody gets eliminated

With Settlers of Catan, the board is hexagonal and is randomly build for each game. You have to carefully study the configuration before selecting the place for your two first villages. If you have access to the rare ressources, it is easier to trade.