Do NT teens swear more than Aspie teens?

Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:50 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I swear less than most people I think. But that's because we swear so f***ing much in Scandinavia compared to what you do in the United States. :P

Never f*****g been to rural Texas, have you?

I cuss more than the average NT I think, but I met some aspies in my high school and they never f*****g cussed, bunch of f*****g b*****s they were. Well actually, some of them started cussing after a while. I think I was a bad influence. :oops:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 1:00 am

I don't swear much, but I do sometimes use profanities, obscenities, and blasphemies, and vulgarities to add a certain level of informality to my otherwise terse language.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 1:01 am

I used to swear, when I was in my twenties.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2008, 8:22 am

I'm a teenager and I'm friends with tons of NT teens and Aspie teens alike. We all swear whenever the f**k we want, thank you very much.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 8:41 am

I didn't swear until I was 11.

But I swear way too much now because of the sort of people I work with.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2008, 8:51 am

I think I started swearing around age 6, because my parents and teachers considered "hell" to be a swear word ><

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:10 pm

I remember being bothered by other kids swearing when I was 10-14. Now it doesn't phase me at all. I enjoy using the f-word as much as anyone else.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:54 pm

I'm not a teenager, but I'll tell you my story. I'm a woman in my 40's and have cussed since I was about 15. I cuss like a sailor. A few times a year I have these weird meltdowns when I am extremely angry and if I can catch myself in time, I isolate myself to a bathroom or a bedroom and I angrily shout out a long string of cuss words several times. While I'm doing this I shake my hands and pace back and forth and emphasize about every other cuss word... Fortunately this only happens a couple times a year on average. My husband, whom I think is also AS, does the same thing. When he and I were dating (online), this came up in conversation one day and we were shocked to find that each other does this. Neither one of us have met anyone else that does it. Well, they might not admit it anyway.

Aside from the cussing meltdowns, I also cuss on a daily basis. I try not to cuss in front of my kids though. Sometimes it's just out of habit but a lot of the time I think I cuss to help me cope with life. I don't know HOW cussing helps, it just does.

emoboxergeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2008, 4:19 pm

AS people see less of a need for unnecessary language, people have asked me since I was in y7 why I don't swear. They swear their head off and I don't understand why most of the time (i'm not perfect and I do swear a bit) its just not needed. I can't see it as a weakness.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:24 pm

I have Aspergers and I swear constantly

Theclouds
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost never swear, unless I'm really, really mad.

A few months ago, I was in my math class. And the teacher just passed out an assignment, and was talking at us about a test or something. I just wanted to start the assignment, and I was getting impatient, and so I said "screw it, I'm starting his worksheet." Anyway, 5 minutes later, another student comes by and tells me that I'm only supposed to do every other problem. I say "oh f**k!" The kid accross from me says, "wait, David, did you really just cuss?" And I'm like "yeah," the kid next to him says, "wait, david just cussed, really? Let me here it." So I said yeah and repeated it. Both these kids started saying "I never expected david to curse. That's almost unheard of.

Later on in the day, I overheard he same kid telling someone accross the room "yeah man, I swear, he said ****"

Tl;dr: I curse so rarely, that when I do curse, it becomes a subject of gossip at my school.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2015, 1:47 pm

I swear just as much. I honestly don't think aspergers/hfa necessarily makes someone swear more/less. It's got a lot to with each person.

As an aspire, I think logically, and i know there's no reason to have "Swear words" as they simply mean the same things as other words which are "ok" and so it doesn't make sense. So, I don't care.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:53 pm

Why are threads from 2008 coming up in the current que? Surely the OP is not still monitoring the dialogue and its kind of pointless to participate in a discussion whose original respondents have all moved on years ago.

This seems to be a bug in the new WP site. Too few currently trending topics available on the homepage and of those, half or more aren't actually current.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2015, 2:08 pm

will@rd wrote:
Why are threads from 2008 coming up in the current que? Surely the OP is not still monitoring the dialogue and its kind of pointless to participate in a discussion whose original respondents have all moved on years ago.

This seems to be a bug in the new WP site. Too few currently trending topics available on the homepage and of those, half or more aren't actually current.

Ummm, it's because I just replied.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:17 pm

I almost never swore until I was about 11, then around that time I started swearing a lot in front of my friends. I didn't start swearing in front of my parents until I was 15 though, and by that time, I had established myself amongst my friends as having a foul mouth. :P I like swearing, what can I say? Sometimes you just can't get your point across without throwing in a s**t or a f**k.

That said, I've noticed NTs in high school would swear more casually, whereas I usually swore if I was pissed off about something, which in my case, was a lot. I kind of have a short temper.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 7:58 am

I myself almost never swear. My 13 year old never swear either. Swearing words feel like rocks on your path that might trip you. They feel unnatural and don't flow with my speech (and I'm a talkative person). I never had to tell my kids not to swear, they simply don't. I don't really understand this and if it has anything to do with autism. Both of my parents swear often. Maybe that's why, I always seem to (subconsciously) try to be different from them. :D