Do NT teens swear more than Aspie teens?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I do occasionally use crude language like "sucks" or "fart", or take the lord's name in vain like "Oh my god".

Don't feel bad about "Oh my god." God is not a name, it's a title, like Doctor or Professor or Rabbi.

There have been many gods in recorded human history. If you're Christian or Jew, the name of your deity is IHVH, commonly known as Yahweh, although the true original pronunciation has been lost in time, due to the lack of vowels in ancient written Hebrew. So technically, you couldn't use the Lord's name in vain even if you wanted to, unless you just happen to hit the right pronunciation by accident. Originally, the name of the Hebrew god was only used in the temple, by priests, behind the curtain of the Holy of Holies, so the danger of it being used profanely was minimal at best. The other sobriquet often used in scripture was Adonai, but that's also a title, meaning "Lord" and not a proper name.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

I think it is also a cultural think. Americans often avoid swearing while it is not uncommon to swear in Germany. But here it is rather used as expletives and to put emphasis on something rather than as insults or to express negative feelings. At home we use it all the time however in moderation. You wont find curse words clustered in sentences here but rather in ways like "this is f***ing awesome" or "they always show the same crap on TV".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

There are Aspie teens out there who swear, I did swear a lot when I was with other girls that swore and it made me feel like a normal teen. But I do admit, swearing was common at school among teens aged around 13-17, maybe before.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 6:28 pm

Aniihya wrote:
I think it is also a cultural think. Americans often avoid swearing while it is not uncommon to swear in Germany. But here it is rather used as expletives and to put emphasis on something rather than as insults or to express negative feelings. At home we use it all the time however in moderation. You wont find curse words clustered in sentences here but rather in ways like "this is f***ing awesome" or "they always show the same crap on TV".

It's been said before that Canadians swear more than Americans, and I agree. It's funny because the common stereotype is that we're more polite than Americans... well, I wouldn't say we're more polite, but we tend to be friendlier. That said, a lot of the people I met down in Georgia were extremely friendly, even by my standards.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 1:48 am

Nope. Aspie kids swear plenty.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:14 am

I do cuss, except not as often as NTs. Thing is, I learnt it when I was around 4, then I got a slap on a face after that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2015, 11:07 pm

I swear to myself all the time. Never around anyone else. I've probably sworn so that others could hear me fewer than 10 times in my life... and to be fair I used to work construction LOL.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:20 pm

This is my mom's new favorite song. She blasts this up when we're driving and sings along to it and when we stop at a red light, I keep my head down so no one will see me.