Do we have any 'collectors' amongst our ranks?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2004, 9:12 am

as part of your aspie fixations, do any of you collect anything, or perhaps you collected stuff as a child?

mine are as follows:

badges aged 4-7. (i think that was quite popular in the 80's).

from quite an early age i have been quite fixated by all things from the sea and aged 7-10 i collected seashells, fossils & minerals. i used to make individual boxes for each one, line them with cotton wool and sticky label the box with the latin name.

i went through a brief beer mat collecting phase when i was 22.

i have a large collection of evening gloves which i have been gathering since i was 18 or so. i bought a particularly stunning red silk satin vintage pearly butoned pair today :D i love gloves, but i am also very good at losing them, so only wear them out on special occassions now.

i collect wild mushrooms for culinary purposes. this is not like other collections as i will generally not keep them for years. but i am very intersted in distinguishing rarer varieties and find it is a good way of enjoying the countryside.

that is all that i can think of for now. anyone got any more 'unusual' collections?

Katschakai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2004, 10:22 am

I'm not a collector per se, but I do buy and tape an awful lot of movies. I have about 160-170 I would think.
Oh, How could I forget. Empty cigarettboxes is a tiny passion of mine. I love the warningtext. I have two boxes full. Now I havent been out much so I havent picked up any in a while. I don't collect a certien brand but I love finding one in a different languge. I ahve one with Spanish and one with English text and many many more with Swedish text. I also have one cigarretbox in tin.

Amy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2004, 10:32 am

I have always collected, and have had many. They are more than collections I suppose, being more of an obsession too. I have collected dolls (getting over 1000), pens, books,(over 1000), knitting patterns (over 5000), perfume bottles, paperweights, snow shakers, things that glow in the dark, beanie babies, dolls houses, miniature glasses, cherished teddies, rosary beads, magazines from the 1950's and 60's, sewing accessories, silver charms (over 100), I have loved every minute of my collections, and will always be collecting something.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 11:22 am

Previous (that I can recall):

-Smooth or shiny stones
-leaves
-pewter dragons and sculpted figures of tigers and wolves
-beanie babies
-anything tiger related

Current:
-feathers (I pick them up on my morning walks, I like finding different species of bird)
-anything cat/feline related
-anime and anime related things
-books
-stuffed animals

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2004, 1:28 pm

I have 6 different collections, but I only work on two of them seriously.

1. Antique books (I've stopped collecting those)
2. Cookbooks (that stopped when I finished Culinary School)
3. Vinyl records (I still buy records from time to time)
4. Imported CDs (I'm very serious about this one, I buy only oldies CDs and most of them aren't in English; I categorize them by language or region)
5. DVDs (Very serious about this too; I'm more interested in my imported DVD collection--I own a region-free DVD player--and I'm particularly interested in movies that are peculiar to their respect countries, such as Swedish movies that are clearly Swedish)
6. Foreign coins and bills (I worked on this when I was in high school; I have an excellent collection simply because some of the coins are no longer made thanks to the Euro. When friends go abroad they sometimes bring back coins for me).

magic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 2:46 pm

I collect many things, but only passively, i.e. I don't purposedly seek the items. Here are things that I collect:

1. Old credit, ATM and phone cards, and all cards of this size (I know that one is supposed to cut them in half and throw away, but it seems like such a waste...)
2. AOL CDs that come in the mail (and any other useless CDs)
3. Maps (some of those I buy)
4. Scientific American magazines (they don't come free, unfortunately)
5. And one more thing, but I can't remember what it is. :)

When I was a child, I also collected stamps and used tickets (mostly bus and train). I am surely not obsessed with collecting, but sometimes I enjoy spreading one of my collections on the table or floor, and looking at it. :)

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 3:49 pm

Here are some of my collections:

• stuffed animals (especially ferrets)
  • Crazy Bones (For those not familiar with Crazy Bones, they're these small plastic things that come/came in packages.)
  • Miss Party Surprise stuff (from 1st/2nd grade)(Miss Party Surprise was a series of dolls and plastic things and containers, each with a certain "party" theme.)
  • Beanie Babies
  • Small plastic, clay, and wooden figurines (some made by me, some not)
  • Pokemon cards (from when the Pokemon fad was going on)(In case you're wondering, I only have two Yu-Gi-Oh cards, which I both lost.)
  • Blankets and towels
  • Nickelodeon Magazine pranks (unfortunately, most were either lost or thrown out)
  • Betty Spaghetti dolls and accessories

I probably have more, but I just can't remember them right now. I don't consider most of these collections "unusual," though. Bye!

:!: Mich :?:

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2004, 5:01 pm

currently I collect postcards (preferably with no writing on the back) and things from shows/musicals (but it has to be ones I have been to)

previously- dolphin/whale themed objects
shells
notebooks
Redwall books (still would but for lack of cash)
Cuddly toys

Sonas càirdeas

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2004, 9:44 pm

i have 100 plus ticket stubs from the movies i have seen, 100's of Receipts
for food,gas,misc , deposits slips etc

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 10:03 pm

beanie babies (I have over 750), toys of any sort (especially mechanical ones like these really great little space aliens in water that dance and talk to each other that I found the other day), stuffed animals, cat figurines, rat figurines, and fossil sea monster teeth (especially shark teeth)

magic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 11:00 pm

OK, now I remember what I forgot. Thanks, V111!

5. All monthly statements, bills, bank slips of any kind, carbon copies of checks, and all receipts that I got during last 7 years. If I don't get a receipt at the store, I write it myself and save it with the rest. :)

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2004, 11:31 pm

well....I collect several things

1. Anime things
2. rocks and minerals....though not so much anymore
3. pokemon and yu-gi-oh cards
4. beanie babies
5. fortunes in the fortune cookies.....(I only like the ones with the chinese words on the back....)
6. I also collected porcelan (sp?) dolls and Miss Party Surprise....(I still like miss party surprise!! !)
7. I used to collect the AOL cds
8. Anything oriental or oriental-looking. (including chopsticks and teas...)
9. movie tickets and reciepts....although I don't collect them much anymore either.
10. Posters and Postcards
11. My doodles, drawings, sketches, ect.
12. Old text-books (like science books and my sixth grade school books)

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2004, 11:51 pm

I collect little children. I keep them under the stairs.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2004, 12:10 am

I had a nice collection of old and useless circuit boards, but I had to throw all of those out.

From June 1990 to about Feb 1992, I was a collector of baseball, football, and basketball cards.

My most valuable card is a 1990 Score Emmit Smith rookie card.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2004, 8:24 am

I do not work on all of them very seriously, but my collections include :
- Movies (DVD)
- Coins and bills
- Gemstones
- Stamps
- Planes items
- Dinosaurs items

Loy

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2004, 1:16 pm

I used to collect combs. A lot of them too... also the dinosaur items, including books and plushies! Now, my collection mainly centers around acqusition of technological knowledge & information but I am open to learning many types of things.