Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

elaich
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2008, 2:32 am

Full of NTs, and their weird behavior patterns.

Loud talking, first of all. Someone loud talks something that makes no sense, and they all laugh. LOUD. Why do NTs always have to talk LOUD? Is it because they think other NTs won't listen to them otherwise?

The things they say that make other NTs laugh don't mean anything to me. When I speak, it carries meaning. They get a big horse laugh over the most stupid offering.

I asked my boss about it (who I also suspect has AS) and he said that they have to feature themselves, as if people won't notice them if they don't talk real loud, laugh real loud, and don't reinforce themselves somehow. He denies AS, but I think so. That was a very perceptive comment by him.

And we are the people who have a disorder?

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:37 am

elaich wrote:
And we are the people who have a disorder?

"Disorder" in the context of an abnormality merely suggests traits which aren't common, though there's a typical misconception that such classifications are equivalent to true impairment - such as the loss of sight from disease, for example. Obviously many of us here realize that's not the case. If the majority of the world population had AS, it wouldn't even be classified as "AS" - and those who are currently NT would be said to have a disorder of some sort.

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2008, 3:07 am

It's the sad truth that we're the ones diagnosed with the disorder. However, using loud sounds will get attention, and in the end, that may conduce to a higher 'survival rate' in society and in our human environment.

As animals however, I don't think that attracting attention to yourself would necessarily help your personal survival... :lol:

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:25 am

Amarikah wrote:
As animals however, I don't think that attracting attention to yourself would necessarily help your personal survival... :lol:

"Shh... here comes the tiger, hand me a spear."

"SPEAR? OMG that reminds me, there's a new Britney Spears album coming out next week!!"

*tiger bounds through the bushes and tears them apart*

-----

Seriously though, your point is well taken. Life truly is about survival and propagation of one's species. In a way, aspies are an "endangered type" of human, due to our circumstances of being born into twenty-first century modern environments - "the era of globalization" as some would say.

When one lacks the useful attributes for survival, no matter the environment (perhaps social skills, charisma, nonverbal communication abilities in our case?) adaptation is certainly necessary. Now, social darwinism could be taking it too far in many ways, to compare humans with other species can be comical at times - but would I say that those of us with autistic disorders may have to work harder and be creative in order to function, much less reach our full potential in life? (self-actualization?) In most cases, absolutely. It seems worth it to me. Sure, reality can be hell at times.. but even hell has its charms. For those who drink: life is like liquor - it's an acquired taste.

Aesteros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2008, 3:41 am

The bus us the worst, especially when you have little loud social circles in the back, somehow and for some reason having to be louder than a reasonable tone. I usually bring a trusty pair of earplugs everywhere I go—especially to school and the bus. Even worse, the first bus is jam-packed full of people, because the Metro doesn't care about it's customers and can't send two buses. I usually wait with one of my teachers, in their room and do some homework, and maybe have an intelligent conversation, then catch the bus after. Professional ear plugs work very well, by what I've heard, I still need the $10 to buy some, at least normal ones can dumb down the noises to an okay level.

02 Feb 2008, 4:15 am

Wait a minute, I have read aspies tend to talk at a higher volume meaning some of us talk louder than normal. I tend to talk loud and I always have to get told to lower my voice. Now we're calling the loud talking NT behavior?

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2008, 4:27 am

Syd wrote:
It seems worth it to me. Sure, reality can be hell at times.. but even hell has its charms. For those who drink: life is like liquor - it's an acquired taste.

It's because we cling to what we have known. Even if we can't always cope with our past, our experiences with AS, it's all we know. We don't know how it could be better.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2008, 8:14 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Wait a minute, I have read aspies tend to talk at a higher volume meaning some of us talk louder than normal. I tend to talk loud and I always have to get told to lower my voice. Now we're calling the loud talking NT behavior?

Yes i talk to loud sometimes or to quiet i get told im shouting but im not aware of it.
It is an aspie trait and is noticed more if your saying something which should really private.

herakh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2008, 10:39 am

just last week, my group was doing a presentation. so, when it was one of class mates turn to speak up, she makes this statement. i whispered my own comments to myself, only to learn that entire room hear it.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:42 am

when i rode the bus.... ppl would make fun of me by pretending they liked me (guys) or telling me that some other guy (on the bus) liked me... that's what the girls would do.

i started walking asap. felt stupid cause for a while i believed them.... but then figured out what they were doing :cry:

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:51 am

I was on a very crowded bus last week, when a drunk fat man and his drunk fat girlfriend got on. The drunk man sat in the seat next to me, although he was so big he also took up half of my seat too. His girlfriend sat on his lap. He drunk three cans of strongbow in half an hour's journey. It was three in the afternoon. he kept talking very loudly about how he was going to a funeral.

Darling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2008, 10:52 am

Riding is cool.

i love the seat by the window.

my best daydreams always come up in the bus.

sometimes i can complete my essay homeworks there.

i don't like going to the back.

i don't like people sitting to me.

i don't like people who stink.

sometimes there are people who put on good music loudly.

sometimes there are people who sing along as well.

the babies in the prams are cute.

different sorts of people get on the bus.

i love the metro (unashamedly).

the bus drivers are always nice to me.

in fact, i want to be a bus driver but dad said that's unprofessional.

besides a mate scared me that you're more likely to be shot at.

but overall, riding a bus is very cool because there are two worlds with a clear line between.

one world is the colourful musical things that go on in it.

the other one is your very own, and nobody can disturb you.

(except of course if a granny wants to use your seat).

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 11:18 am

If only loud and annoying people were restricted to buses...

The world would definitely be a better place.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:15 pm

Dis is why i use trains as u don't get as many loud mouths as u do in a bus cos i like a quiet journey n i really get pissed off wid ppl talkin so loud.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2008, 1:15 pm

Oh, god I KNOW.
I have to take the bus to chool every morning. I would go insane without my iPod.
Even when people try to be polite and talk to me on the bus, I have no clue what to say. Sometimes I can't even comprehend what they said because I can't filter white noise well.

02 Feb 2008, 2:41 pm

I am so glad I live in Portland, The busses aren't very loud.