extreme views 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
dogmatic views 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
people who dont agree with me are wrong 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 17

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:20 am

Who else thinks its strange to have an idiom as diagnostic criteria. It makes me answer;
a- Im not racist
b- no I think in colours

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 7:18 am

I picked the option "people who dont agree with me are wrong".

I dont think I can ever get extreme. I'm not so sure about other aspies but I believe that when aspies reach anything close to extreme disagreement they would quickly dismiss that persons views entirely. I dont think I respect other peoples opinions enough for them to be a problem but I do like to try make it clear they are wrong however stubborn they may be. I can be very persistant.

I think I am dogmatic sometimes or maybe a lot of times. But this would also work with the option that I chose.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 7:43 am

"Aspies" are stubborn, many don't see it; many see it and accept it, some see it and then deny it.

Some are sticklers for factual accuracy, some are sticklers for subjective/objective opinions (my way or the highway); some will defend a lie till no one is left but them; some perpetually say 'no' to whatever is asked of them.

I like factual accuracy, and I tend to say 'no' to anything I perceive as an order (whether it is or not is the point; even if it isn't, but I see it as such, I trot out 'no'). Subjective opinions are just that; objective is made by the majority (I'm black and white here). I don't lie however (and I'm stubborn for going out of my way to point out the truth no matter if it hurts people, I cannot see how it'd hurt them, so I'm rigid here).

I know an "aspie" who lies, and defends said lie till the end.

"Rigid"/"concrete" thinking is how I'd describe it (yeah, they're metaphors).

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 8:05 am

In the examination report when I was being diagnosed one of the doctors quotes was "His communication is concrete and rather one way". I like the word concrete. :)

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 8:10 am

dichotomous thinking

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2008, 10:41 am

I can be quite stubborn on certain circumstantial things but, IMO, more often than not "right" and "truth" have long disappeared in a semantic soup.
I dunno what the criteria should be.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2008, 10:48 am

I see things in colors. I don't see them in black and white because I don't believe in a rigid "right" and "wrong."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:52 am

I see things in every colour, under the sun. I'm also very stubborn.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 10:58 am

I'm very, very stubborn. For instance, I have the idea in my head that I will never take any drugs for my problems - and that's it, I won't take any ever. I also 'don't do things by halves'.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:10 pm

I'm super stubborn, but I'm also very tolerant and humanistic.

I sometimes insist on arguing or being quite bold in voicing my opinion, I admit it.
But I also love talking about religious and spiritual matters and although the whole word has trouble with it, the people I talk to usually don't argue with me about their own believes or my own believes, even when theirs are as firm as mine and ours don't have anything in common.

I don't think stubbornness itself is a bad characteristic. Whether it's helpful or getting in the way depends on what other characteristics a person displays.

Edit: Oh. My world isn't black and white. My own opinion is black and white. Usually the terms black and white indicate that something is 'either right or wrong'. I don't think of the opinions of other people as right or wrong. But I know exactly which opinions work for me and which don't. In a way, this view is extreme and rigid in itself.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

I am stubborn like a mule.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:08 pm

I'm not that stubborn.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:29 pm

sorry- I didnt mean whether you had black and white thinking but whether you found the term black and white confusing as its not literal. ( but I am pleased to hear whether you have black and white thinking of course)

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:41 pm

AliceinOz wrote:
dichotomous thinking

That's the closest sounding phrase for how I think.
I'm always looking for the disjunctures, "what's wrong with (or doesn't seem to fit) with this picture?" in a situation, trying to make sense of what doesn't intuitively (for me) add up. Am often told I'm trying to find the rationality behind things that aren't explicable in that way.

I may also see things in black AND white, as in feeling intensely ambivalent, both ways simultaneously-which leaves me stuck, unable to decide (pick this or that). Doesn't mean I don't care, or feel "moderate" about the topic-it means I feel both strongly for & strongly against (or however it's framed, having to choose between polar opposites).

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 3:54 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
sorry- I didnt mean whether you had black and white thinking but whether you found the term black and white confusing as its not literal. ( but I am pleased to hear whether you have black and white thinking of course)

Saw your update after I just posted.
The term used to confuse me, but as figurative speech goes, it ("black and white thinking") was relatively easy to learn/understand.
What's more of an issue for me is that it's called "black and white thinking"-which implies both, yet that's not how it's defined. What is meant is "black or white", because the person thinking that way (supposedly) sees things as just one way or the other (it's either black or white), instead of both (it's black and white).
Maybe I'm the only one noticing that part-or I'm taking the conjunctions (and, or) rather than the nouns (white, black) too literally !

02 Feb 2008, 3:56 pm

I don't know if I have black and white thinking. I have been told "it's not black and white" and "things don't need to be black and white" and "everything is black and white for you." I certinally don't argue with people's opinions till they agree with me or give up. If I am right, I will prove it to them. I would tell them to look it up and they will see I am right. But arguing with someone about an opinion that isn't black and white because it's just an opinion not a fact, not right.