For thoese of you who are unemployed

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 11:11 pm

Going on interview after interview is nerve-wracking.
I'm fifty, with gray hair, what the hell do these 20-something kids expect when I submit a resume with 20 years + job experience???

"Oh, this old git will just want med benefits, and run up our budget."

The little bastards...

Allen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2008, 6:50 am

I just joined WrongPlanet a few hours ago and this is my first post ... this topic really caught my attention.

Someone said that they "job hop every 2-4 years" ... I smiled when I read that because I've always said that I'm on a 3 year job cycle. I can trace it back back to Jr. High School (3 years), High School (3 years) then 3 years working for my dad's company, 3 years in the Army, 3 years at my next job and on and on. My most recent "job" lasted a bit more than 3 years but that's because I owned the company. But even then I had to move the company after 3 years and then I was good for another 3. Then last year I burned out and sold the company. It was the perfect "dream job" for me, a professional model builder making models for trade shows and engineering mockups for aerospace companies. I still love the work and I'm even doing a little bit of it as a freelancer out of my shop at home but when that 3 year buzzer went off in my head I just had to get out. I can't explain it.

Now I'm nearly 45 years old and the idea of going to an interview to apply for a job paralyzes me. I went to meet a company owner last week, I drove about 20 miles to his shop and actually turned around in his driveway and went back home again. I was pretty excited about the job, the company makes animatronic figures for theme parks and other cool stuff like that. But once I got there I just got this overwhelming feeling like I shouldn't be there, that I had no business applying for for such a cool and technical job (even though I am more than qualified).

Anyways, I'm not really sure what my point is :) except to say that I totally relate with a lot of what I'm reading here and I'm glad I found this forum.

CatDogPerson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2008, 2:23 am

If it's anything that reminds me that I'm "disabled" in some way shape or form, it's looking for a job. I HATE it. I worked steadily at a variety of jobs since I got out of college the first time, then I got married and we moved a thousand miles away in the space of about 2 months. I didn't have time to be homesick though, had to get another job! I worked as a receptionist for about a year, then as a vet assistant for another year, then at a kennel for almost a year before I was downsized. Couple months after that I had a total breakdown, fell into a wicked depression for quite some time, wasn't pretty. When I thought I was getting better I decided to try going back to school; that lasted about a year before I relapsed. Once I managed to claw my way out of the pit and stay out, I decided maybe I ought to go back to work. Um, NO. Just going to fill out applications makes my heart race, and actual interviews are liable to give me a full-bore panic attack. It's a damn shame really, because there were a couple jobs I was interested in at kennels and dog training facilities that I thought would be just awesome, and I could call them, but I just couldn't get there in person. What's awful is, my husband doesn't understand, he thinks I'm bonkers (not too far from the truth there) and just being kinda lazy, like I don't want to work. I really do want to contribute to the household, but when it comes down to finances vs. my mental stability, that's not a hard choice for me to make.

diplomatico
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2008, 1:28 am

I've hopped so many jobs that I'm absolutely terrified about getting a new job. There is general work stress that I can deal with, sometimes it helps, but when I have to start piecing together how my actions and attitude affect the job, I feel very anxious and would feel that I have to quit. I hate getting the talk about needing a job to get money to survive. Some people treat me as if I'm faking everything and that I'm just lazy. I hate that so much! I work damn hard and sometimes I take the outcome of certain uncomfortable situations too hard and I can't find myself through it. As I'm unemployed, it's hard to stay motivated in looking for work because in one way, I don't want to screw over the person who was kind enough to hire me by having myself lose control after I get settled.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:34 am

People
need for my routine, not someone else's
my inability to take orders
I lack the care (apathy), and executive functioning to start my own business

All due to the ASD.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:13 am

I find that my reasons are:

1) Social difficulties: when I have to interact with NTs at work I feel like I am in an elaborate pantomime. But actually this is not the area I have most difficulty with, it is:

2) Executive function. I dont know what is up with my hands and legs but they never really felt attached to my mind. A lot of jobs these days involve practical work with hands, and a mind with good organisational skills and a good concentration span. My organisational skills are a little better but I find it a tremendous strain to perform at work on a practical level.

Oh, and Im not unemployed, but I am leaving my tragically unsuitable job at the end of today!! !! !! ! Then I have enough money for about 2 months before I will have to seriously think about what I will do next.

Taking a break.

Last edited by zen_mistress on 04 Apr 2008, 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:36 am

Quite simply, the other people (NTs though I know people hate this term) found me to be a little different and isolated me. I worked hard, my bosses were always very pleased with my work and a few even said "Don't you ever leave" but once a few people (NTs) get together and start setting you up by re-filing papers in the wrong place or some other nasty thing, then you are done for. Also, if you have to interact with others and it doesn't go as smoothly as maybe other peoples interactions do, it gets noticed.

Oh God, don't get me started, errr, too late...

Never mind the excellent work you do, never mind the extra hours you put in, never mind the smokers who go outside every so often for a cigarette whilst you work, never mind the chatting on the phone the others do to family, friends and others while you work, nver mind your ability to concentrate for yours and keep at it etc. If you don't fit in, you are done for.

Then of course, you have the 'kind' people who try to help you with the things they have read in self help books that they haven't actually understood who misapply techniques to you because they misunderstand you.

Then of course, the firms like to have social events, no, its no good, I don't even want to go there, literally or otherwise...

Time for tea.

MetalManiaInc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2008, 12:09 pm

I've only worked one job, I worked at a private golf course part time and I worked there for 4 months, and the reason I worked for 4 months was because I got fired over a misunderstanding, so that was a devastating blow. Last summer, I worked with my dad. Me and him painted houses and we did it again, except this time in the fall and this winter and since then we've finished. So now, I've been asked the same question over and over again, what do you want to do in your life? Repeatedly I've said I don't know. I was thinking of becoming a paranormal investigator, but is that a job/career or a personal hobby? Please, any of you who are in this forum, please I'm begging that you reply to me. I want to get a job in which I can make use of my good memory.

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2008, 6:52 pm

Have you considered getting some IT certifications like A+ and Network+? This may be a more viable option than going to college, and may end up being just as useful.

Caravaggio wrote:
I've got computer skills that put the local techs for the city to shame but the fact is I want to go to college and thus can't do 9-5 mon-fri. The main industry here is hospitality and unless you're A)A pretty girl or B)have a lot of experience you aren't going to get hired anywhere.

Finally found one job that will work around it quite well and I will get hired if my references check out. Might be getting a computer consultation gig if they like me, feel I passed the interview with flying colors but missed a really stupidly easy question because I misread the interviewer.