Meeting an online friend, what do you think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

I was thinking if it's possible to meet an online friend in real life because I can't seem to relate to anybody in high school :(

Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:17 pm

There's nothing incredibly wrong with it, just make sure it isn't someone you just met. You wouldn't want to end up meeting up with a 50 year old who likes little boys..

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:28 pm

I've made three online friend but they all live in the midwest, so unless I end up traveling across the country, I may never be fortunate enough to meet them.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

04 Feb 2008, 9:37 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
I was thinking if it's possible to meet an online friend in real life because I can't seem to relate to anybody in high school :(

If you have the money, time and permission then I guess that it's possible. You would have to be cafeful though..sometimes people aren't who they say they are.
I would say that at age 16, if they lived far away, to have someone come with you to meet them. It's better to be safe, than sorry.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:29 pm

High school is a microcosm of real life. There's a lot of interesting people outside of it. But I'd be real careful, there's a lotta sickos out there...on the web, that is...

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2008, 2:50 pm

I would only recommend it if your over 21 years old.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:21 pm

It can be great fun. Make sure you get someone you know and trust to go with you and who won't run if it should get tough. Meet in a public place where there's plenty of people at first and take it from there.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

05 Feb 2008, 6:36 pm

I've met online friends in real life ... and loved it!

For safety, make sure you meet the person in a public place, and make sure a family member knows where you are.

Helen

Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 7:15 pm

Smelena wrote:

For safety, make sure you meet the person in a public place, and make sure a family member knows where you are.

Helen

Yeah, but, he's 16..

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2008, 5:02 am

Be carefull about the person finding out your address,it can be a great stress if things go wrong and the person is not as nice as you thought.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:26 pm

hey

yeah i've done it, and would do it again but as others say make sure you do it in a public place and have someone with (or near) you, and a mobile or something.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:30 pm

Smelena wrote:

Helen
Preferably a somewhat crowded place. And bring a cell phone.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

As long as your sure that they're not somebody else. I know that it's not always a good thing, but sometimes I watch Dateline and sometimes they do the To Catch a Predator series.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:35 pm

i don't think there's anything wrong with it unless you get screwed (in a bad way). some high schools just really suck and they can be really tough to get through. lots of them aren't conducive to making friends if you're different in any way.

if you can find someone online that you enjoy talking to and they don't turn out to be a pedophile, then go for it.