Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 7:44 pm

My son makes inappropriate comments. Not rude ones. I mean, he doesn't point out flaws in people. He makes some random comments that no one else would make though.

If your son makes oddball comments that other people would look at him and say, "huh???", I would say 'yes' to the inappropriate comment thing.

hog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2008, 7:45 pm

it's a minefield out there

Wife: "do you like my new haircut?"
Me: "no"

I now know that answer is a mistake.

It's still a crappy haircut though.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 10:50 am

I know of adult aspies (including me) who make socially inappropriate comments. Often they relate to sensory issues eg. "what's that smell?", "something smells like poo", "why do they have to make that stupid noise?" and so on. After I explained to an aspie friend that there was a bad smell because of a dead possum in the yard behind me, he said "did you fart?"

I said "No of course not, if I did and it smelt like that, I'd need medical attention".

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 11:50 am

Commenting inappropriately topic

I did this a lot as a child. i still do it as an adult. My NT children are the ones who are mortified! I sometimes wish I had another child, one who lives on the Autism Spectrum. Oh, well. I hope I have a special grandchild. You definetely need a sense of humour to deal with the a child who says the darndest things. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

DeansMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2008, 8:03 pm

I agree with sartresue, you definately have to have a sense of humor. When my son was about 11 we visited my mother, who had recently died her hair. instead of saying something like "grandma, you colored your hair" he said "holy moley grandma, what happened to your head!". Not the best visit with grandma that day, but I couldn't help but LMAO. And comments like this are frequent with Dean. I've always taught my boys that they have a right to their own opinions and beliefs, but trying to teach him tact is something I'm still working on.

And to add to it, he has inherited his grandfathers witt, so when he makes remarks that are a little sarcastic, but quite hilarious, it's difficult to explain to him there is a time, place and volume that should be thought about before he says it outloud.