Page 2 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Feb 2008, 3:30 pm

Take a look at this United Nations article..

http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/2004/i ... 04p10.html

Quote:
There is no universally agreed definition of disability. It is now considered a socially created problem and not an attribute of an individual. The social perspective is reflected in the WHO International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health, which defines disability as a universal human experience and not the concern of a minority; every human being can suffer from a health loss and thus experience some disability. The old “medical model” of disability has been replaced by a human rights model, in recognition of the fact that it is society that is “disabling” people with disabilities by making it difficult for them to exercise their human rights. The changing nature of disability and the realization that it was an inevitable part of the life of any individual or society require that the concept of disability be related to the issue of human dignity.

I thought it seems relevent to what we are talking about using the social perspective which affects us more than most.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2008, 4:22 pm

Frields, thanks for the compliment even though I probably don't deserve it. :)

RampionRampage, it is too bad the word 'disability' is seen as a negative. I don't see it that way, but I guess most NTs / non-disabled do. We can't accept the fact some in society have Special Needs without putting a negative onto that which is crazy. I've known disabled people who could teach all of us a thing about positive thinking and life.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
And, I don't mean to pick on Aspergers only, because there are whacks in the Neurodiveristy movement of Autism who believe the same thing. Some are pushing for neurodiveristy and believe Autism should not be seen as a disability, yet have no problem accepting checks on behalf of their adult, Autistic kids who live at home and need 24/7 care. Shame!

If so, then they probably do not know the history of the neurodiversity movement, which emerged within the social model of disability.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2008, 9:40 am

nominalist wrote:
NewportBeachDude wrote:
And, I don't mean to pick on Aspergers only, because there are whacks in the Neurodiveristy movement of Autism who believe the same thing. Some are pushing for neurodiveristy and believe Autism should not be seen as a disability, yet have no problem accepting checks on behalf of their adult, Autistic kids who live at home and need 24/7 care. Shame!

If so, then they probably do not know the history of the neurodiversity movement, which emerged within the social model of disability.

True. Thanks.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:44 am

I understand there are some controversial opinions on what the PC description of AS should be. Difference or disability. I don't let others' ideas on the matter get to me too much, but if I saw someone refusing to call it a disability yet collecting government assistance because of it, I'd be pretty pi**ed.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Feb 2008, 3:59 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
I understand there are some controversial opinions on what the PC description of AS should be. Difference or disability. I don't let others' ideas on the matter get to me too much, but if I saw someone refusing to call it a disability yet collecting government assistance because of it, I'd be pretty pi**ed.

As I see it, difference (neurodiversity) is more descriptive, while disability is more relational. In other words, disability can be socially defined as a lack of enablement by those in power.

dtms
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2008, 2:38 pm

As with all 'disabilities', the severity of its effect varies from person to person. Personally I do not regard myself as 'disabled' by AS, just 'disadvantaged' in certain circumstances.
Plus as mentioned by others, there are some negative connotations with the word disabled, especially in the workplace. Because I am fortunate enough to be employed in a good job, bringing a disability into things would only disadvantage me, so I don't mention AS to anyone. In fact I haven't even mentioned it to my parents.

That's my personal situation ; for others with AS, just like others with mobility disabilities, it is a matter of severity and impact on your own life that should dictate what help you should get from the state, or from those around you. And as always, there are those who will abuse the system.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 3:33 pm

Dif-ability topic

Having AS would not make much of a difference but because I have dyspraxia and arthritis, my movements are slowed down even more. This has been a problem since 1992. Not being able to drive, OCD and CAPD limits me even more. I am not intellectually gifted and my age excludes me from further training. I have enough training, according to EI. I do not have the energy to appeal this, so I accepted meager part time work in a protected workplace situation and disability support. I have kids still at home. I need the money.

Asperger's is a difference, and it can be a reason for having employment challenges. Every case is different. After all, we are on a Spectrum here.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2008, 5:53 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
If Asperger's Syndrome is not a disability but simply a difference then by logical argument is it unfair if someone with Asperger's is considered disabled and receiving a disability check?

No, it's not. Because not all Aspies' differences are just that, some Aspies' differences disable them.

AutisticAdvocacy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2008, 12:17 am

I think it's worth stressing that the fundamental premise of neurodiversity (and its supporters) has never been that the autism spectrum does not represent a disability - it has been that it does not represent a disease and that we should not be subject to attempts to "cure" us. However, neurodiversity supporters are very strong supporters of the right educational methodologies to help acquire skills and improve services.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Mar 2008, 1:55 pm

AutisticAdvocacy wrote:
I think it's worth stressing that the fundamental premise of neurodiversity (and its supporters) has never been that the autism spectrum does not represent a disability - it has been that it does not represent a disease and that we should not be subject to attempts to "cure" us. However, neurodiversity supporters are very strong supporters of the right educational methodologies to help acquire skills and improve services.

Actually, the neurodiversity idea was developed by autism disability advocates. Historically, neurodiversity was associated with the social model of disability.

Similarly, the no-cure concept is related to the social model of disability.

ChewbackaGrizelda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2012, 2:15 pm

I have a great resume that gets picked often enough -- but then I don't make it past job interviews. It's as if those things are DESIGNED to screen out Aspies. I need to know what steps to take next. I -can- do the job itself. I just can't get anyone to like me enough to hire me after they meet me. I have no desire to become someone I'm not to satiate total strangers who don't give a rip about people like us. I only want to learn what I can so I can get along with my friends better, but that's all. If any of that ever bleeds over, then fine, and it would be nice if I could get hired. But they're even using "personality testing" now in job interviews (I just got back from one where they used the DISC test on me, and then named my not "matching up" on it as their reason for not hiring me).

I want to know how to either make it ILLEGAL for employers to do that, or how to just get on disability for this so I can pay my bills and rent. I have no one to rely on financially - my own family won't have anything to do with me. I am "self diagnosed" but found out through counseling, with "symptomatic/experiential comparison." If anyone knows of a way to get tested as an adult, when you don't have health insurance or a lot of money, please tell me. If you know how to go about making DISCRIMINATION against people who show signs of Aspergers ILLEGAL, please tell me that too. I want to get something started along those lines. I'm TIRED of this being a problem so many of us are facing with no real answers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:21 pm

i dont know about anyone else but i would consider AS disabiltly.i am 100% sure i will get an autism dx next my

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 4:33 pm

Per US Code, that governs the Americans with Disabilities Act, Autism is one of the disorders listed that is considered to inherently meet the ADA disability of definition in that it inherently limits brain function, in virtually all cases of the disorders. The EEOC recently clarified that Aspergers falls under the category of the term Autism listed in US Code. Each individual must still be assessed for disability, but it is determined that most every case will meet the requirement of disability under US Code.

The definition of disability under SSDI and SSI, are much more stringent.

Under the Social Model of Disability it is true that society can create barriers for the people with disabilities, however many of those with permanent disabilities depend on Society for their subsistence.

Society allows survival per this aspect of disability; that is no barrier, it is a lifeline, created by societies that care enough to take care of those that become disabled in life; which can happen to any human being at any point in their life.

Without this humane aspect of society the barrier would be the disability, and the consequences could be a matter of life or death, just as it is in the wild for the rest of the animal kingdom.

The DSMV delineates in it's rationale for the subsuming Aspergers syndrome into Autism Spectrum disorder, that some may still use Aspergers to self identify who are not impaired and limited in everyday functioning, by symptoms that are milder.

However, the DSMV criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder, makes it crystal clear that it is a disabling disorder, per the criteria that symptoms work together to impair and limit one in everyday life functioning.

Neither Dan Akroyd, Bill Gates or any of the other often mentioned famous people suspected to have aspergers would likely meet this definition. Nor is there actual evidence that many of these people have an actual diagnosis now, other than speculation.

It has never been established whether or not Dan Akroyd was serious when he talked about it on a radio show years ago, suggesting that he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 12 which was actually Aspergers and Tourettes that he talked himself through and got over it by age 14.

There was no diagnosis of Aspergers in the early 60's although he may have speculated that he had it and got over it. These type of suggestions in the media, belie the statistics that 80% of individuals actually diagnosed with Aspergers live at home with their parents and depend on them for subsistence, and 90% don't maintain full time jobs. That isn't Bill gates territory. Not being able to gain independence in life, means one must either be dependent on their family or society for subsistence. That is more than a difference, as it relates to basic survival.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2012, 11:54 pm

I consider myself unemployable, only a scammer would want me,so I need my benifits.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:48 am

Autism is a disability. The degree of disability varies from individual to individual and is greatly effected by their surrounding circumstances. Our diagnoses, the title of our disability, may be the same, but our needs can be very different.
I don't think it's a value judgement of how good/normal/potentially successful we are but I think it's a valuable legal term.
Because regardless of whether we are inherently disabled or if it's all social model (I think the truth lies somewhere between these points) there is discrimination and being in a protected class helps to legally prevent/mitigate the effects.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.