Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 4:29 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been done before but can't find the thread on a cursory glance so if you know where the thread is, could you link it?

I'm trying to find some sites with good EQ tests you can take. Thus far I got two (I list my results as well).

http://ei.haygroup.com/resources/default_ieitest.htm

((I got a 55))

http://quiz.ivillage.co.uk/uk_work/tests/eqtest.htm

Quote:
You scored 55% correct!

Remember you responses need to have been as honest as possible. If you feel that your score does not reflect you, please retake the test and answer each question in the way that best represents the way you typically feel.

Your score indicates that you have a below average EQ.
People that typically score in this range sometimes have trouble recognising and understanding their feelings. They are not always able to express their feelings in the most appropriate manner. They often have doubts and concerns about who they really are. They do not have much confidence in themselves and in their abilities. In most circumstances, they have a difficult time showing love, empathy and compassion for other people. In general, they are not comfortable with intimacy.

They also have trouble communicating with other people. They struggle with getting in tune with themselves and those around them. They may sometimes say the wrong thing at the wrong moment. They sometimes find it hard to show their anger or deal with anger directed at them. At times they are unable to stand up for themselves when hurt or they are handle confrontation inappropriately. They may have trouble admitting when they are wrong; and when they do make mistakes, they are often uncomfortable apologising to those they hurt.

People with below average EQ may also have low levels of self-worth. They do not like challenges or commitment and are afraid of change. They have a difficult time staying motivated and focused when they have set unattainable goals for themselves. They are fairly pessimistic about themselves and their future.

However, one great thing about emotional intelligence is that it’s fluid! A person can increase their EQ at any point of their life! People with below average EQ can start by learning how to identify their emotions and take responsibility for them. There are many resources to help. People with low EQ can read books about EQ and social skills, find out about anger management courses and communication skills courses, join a support group or see a counsellor. They can keep a diary of their emotions, and ask their friends to help them recognise the things about themselves that need correcting. If these things are done there is no doubt that they can increase their emotional intelligence and live a healthy, happy life.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 5:12 pm

On the second one I got a 45 and the same description as Serissa. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "correct" thing, but I think that this description of me is mostly accurate.

I got a 50 on the first one. I seemed to pick the 5-point answers most of the time, though there were a few 0 and 10-ers.

Last edited by mikibacsi1124 on 15 Sep 2005, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liadain
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2005, 5:19 pm

I got a 60 on the first test, and a 65% on the second:

Quote:
Your score indicates that you have an average EQ.

People who typically score in this range are usually able to recognise and understand their feelings and to express them in an appropriate manner. They are fairly comfortable with who they are. In most circumstances they are not afraid to show love, empathy and compassion for other people. In general, they are comfortable with intimacy, and giving of themselves to other people.

They are pretty good communicators. They are fairly in tune with themselves and those around them. They generally know how to say the right thing at the right moment. They are good friends and partners. They are normally able to show anger in appropriate ways. More often than not, they are able to stand up for themselves when necessary, but also are not afraid to cry if they are hurt. They are able to admit when they are wrong and take steps to correct their mistakes. They are rarely unable to say they are sorry.

They are generally happy, well-rounded people. They accept challenges. They can stay motivated and focused in the face of setbacks. They are able to set goals for themselves and often achieve them. They are positive and optimistic about themselves, others around them, and their future.

However, just because people with an average EQ have a pretty good grasp on their emotions they still have plenty of room for emotional growth. They can continue to be introspective. They can continue to communicate with the people around them and continue to work on their goals. They can utilise what they have and continue to identify areas within themselves that need work.

Remember that a person’s emotional intelligence never stops growing. Because we are always evolving as people, EQ is something that must be nurtured. If it isn’t cultivated, emotional intelligence will disappear.

This last one is totally wrong, and I know there were several moments when I picked what I knew to be the "best" or more "normal" answer even though it wasn't the one I'd most likely actually do myself.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2005, 5:36 pm

Here's what I scored:

Quote:
You scored 75% correct!
Remember you responses need to have been as honest as possible. If you feel that your score does not reflect you, please retake the test and answer each question in the way that best represents the way you typically feel.

People who typically score in this range are usually able to recognise and understand their feelings and to express them in an appropriate manner. They are fairly comfortable with who they are. In most circumstances they are not afraid to show love, empathy and compassion for other people. In general, they are comfortable with intimacy, and giving of themselves to other people.

They are pretty good communicators. They are fairly in tune with themselves and those around them. They generally know how to say the right thing at the right moment. They are good friends and partners. They are normally able to show anger in appropriate ways. More often than not, they are able to stand up for themselves when necessary, but also are not afraid to cry if they are hurt. They are able to admit when they are wrong and take steps to correct their mistakes. They are rarely unable to say they are sorry.

They are generally happy, well-rounded people. They accept challenges. They can stay motivated and focused in the face of setbacks. They are able to set goals for themselves and often achieve them. They are positive and optimistic about themselves, others around them, and their future.

However, just because people with an average EQ have a pretty good grasp on their emotions they still have plenty of room for emotional growth. They can continue to be introspective. They can continue to communicate with the people around them and continue to work on their goals. They can utilise what they have and continue to identify areas within themselves that need work.

Remember that a person’s emotional intelligence never stops growing. Because we are always evolving as people, EQ is something that must be nurtured. If it isn’t cultivated, emotional intelligence will disappear.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2005, 5:40 pm

I don't know about these tests. I usually can recognize the "correct/best" answer but in real-life I often purposefully choose different things depending on the mood I'm in or if I want to experiment. I took the tests answering how I might typically actually handle the situations.

I got 65 on the first one but that should probably be something else because two of the questions are sketchy. The "turbulent airplane" question has no acceptable answer because they are assuming I would be stressed, which I wouldn't be because I love turbulence and when the pilot starts doing crazy maneuvers! I have much more stress being around all the people than any turbulence could cause (which is the real reason why I hate flying). As for the "uninspired team" I have a ton of experience in this area, having gone through "team-training" that managers love so much many, many times. The "correct" answer they provide only works for a couple days and does not permanently build a strong team.

I scored 65% on the second.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 5:50 pm

I scored pretty high.

Quote:
YOUR SCORE IS: 95
(100 is the highest score and 50 is average)

What your score means (hypothetically)
100 -- Maximum Score
50 -- Average Score
0 -- Minimum Score
[...]
9. The uninspired team:

The most emotionally intelligent answer is B. As a leader of a group of individuals charged with developing a creative solution, your success will depend on the climate that you can create in your project team. Creativity is likely to by stifled by structure and formality; instead, creative groups perform at their peaks when rapport, harmony and comfort levels are most high. In these circumstances, people are most likely to make the most positive contributions to the success of the project.

(A) 0 Points - Draw up an agenda, call a meeting and allot a specific period of time to discuss each item.
(B) 10 Points - Organize an off-site meeting aimed specifically at encouraging the team to get to know each other better.
(C) 0 Points - Begin by asking each person individually for ideas about how to solve the problem.
(D) 5 Points - Start out with a brainstorming session, encouraging each person to say whatever comes to mind, no matter how wild.

It's probably my Asperger's that led me to decide to jump straight to the brainstorming without an informal get-to-know-you session. I got the second highest score possible.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2005, 5:57 pm

NeantHumain
I answered the same as you on that question. Their "correct" answer is managerial BS anyway (ie. clueless managers love team-building because it makes them feel like they are doing something; good managers don't need these pointless exercises).

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 6:12 pm

Tp be fair; I was able to recognize the "right" answer in basically all of them; I'm pretty realistic, I think, about what I'd likely do, in that I know I wouldn't always keep my cool etc etc.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 6:58 pm

On the first one I got a 60. On the second one I did terribly. 35% correct. In many instances I know what was a "better" choice, but it's not necessarily the thing I would do.

As for that question NeantHumain, I chose "A" only because I've been in a situation like that before (in school, not work), and our group had so much trouble focusing that we *needed* structure.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 7:00 pm

I scored a 3 on the last EQ test I took. Somehow I doubt that will come as a suprise to anybody.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 7:20 pm

On the first one, 25%.

On the second one:

You scored 10% correct!

I answered the questions truthfully, as to how I would likely react, without reference to how people might want me to react. I had to base much of it on prior experience. Many of the scenarios did not apply to me, so I answered those questions as truthfully as I could, based on similar situations.

Your score indicates that you have a low EQ.

No, really?

People that typically score in this range have a very difficult time recognising and understanding their feelings.

I understand my feelings perfectly. They may not chime with other people's views, but I understand them.

They are not always able to express their feelings in an appropriate manner.

Define 'appropriate', and no I don't mean #ifndef APROPRIATE #define APROPRIATE #endif

They often have doubts and concerns about who they are and what they want out of life. They have little confidence in themselves and their abilities.

Untrue. I have just built a web site that can post to six different Job Boards

In most circumstances they have trouble showing love, empathy and compassion for other people.

That's because I don't feel those things any longer.

In general, they are not comfortable with intimacy, and giving of themselves to other people.

That's true; I loath emotional spectacles and performances.

People with low EQs find it hard to communicate with other people. They are not really in tune with themselves and those around them. They often say the wrong thing at precisely the wrong moment. They find it hard to show their anger or deal with anger directed at them. They are either not able to stand up for themselves when hurt or upset or they fly completely off the handle when confronting others. They have trouble admitting when they are wrong. When they do make mistakes they are often unable to apologise to those they hurt.

Untrue on all counts, save the 'flying off the handle'.

People with a low EQ generally have low levels of self-worth. They do not like challenges. They shun commitment. They are afraid of change.

Untrue, I endeavour to avoid the criticisms of others. Everyone plays games of trying to diminish their competitors. Low self-worth is only a social contagion caught off others, when you cannot avoid their games and oneupmanship.

They have trouble staying motivated and focused in the face of setbacks.

That depends on what the task is. If it is worth doing, I will stick with it.

They are not able to set achievable goals for themselves, and often give up trying in the process.

Untrue, I have been quite achieving lately.

They are pessimistic about themselves and their future.

That's the 'other people' influence; Hell really is in Hello!

It’s always worth making a positive change for the better.

Presumably 'better' means more conformant with the expectations of others.

People with a low EQ should start by learning how to identify their emotions and take responsibility for them. They can join a support group or see a counsellor.

Been there, done that, installed the Screensaver. Utterly useless.

They can keep a diary of their emotions

I run Wordpress at home.

.. so that they can ask their friends to help them recognise the things about themselves that need 'correcting'.

Correcting? That's a bit Orwellian, isn't it?

These tests are so glib and over-generalised that there are bound to be people coming away either with feelings of utter negativity (if they don't get the result they hoped to), or an inflated sense of vindication because they clicked the right radio buttons on the pages.

As I mentioned earlier, most of those situations I do not find myself in and have never done so.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 7:42 pm

YOUR SCORE IS: 45
(100 is the highest score and 50 is average)

No surprise here.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 8:13 pm

Okay, I took the second test and did a little worse. Honestly, these questions were even further removed from my life than on the other one.

Quote:
You scored 75% correct!

Remember that a person?s emotional intelligence never stops growing. Because we are always evolving as people, EQ is something that must be nurtured. If it isn?t cultivated, emotional intelligence will disappear.

We wish you the best of luck with your future EQ.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:55 pm

Lol, 45 for the first one, 30 for the second! :wink: Aspie? Me? Huh?

Although I SWEAR that the one about the near miss car thingo in the first test is WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 7:04 am

I got 35 in both tests.

2nd one:

You scored 35% correct!

Remember you responses need to have been as honest as possible.

[color=blue]We Aspies are always honest - to a fault, in fact.[/color]

If you feel that your score does not reflect you, please retake the test and answer each question in the way that best represents the way you typically feel.

Nah, I'm quite happy with this score.

Your score indicates that you have a low EQ.

Duh!

People that typically score in this range have trouble recognising and understanding their feelings.

Sometimes, but the main problem I have lies in expressing them and untangling different feelings from each other.

They are not always able to express their feelings in an appropriate manner. They often have doubts and concerns about who they are and what they want out of life. They have little confidence in themselves and their abilities.

So true, unfortunately.

In most circumstances, they find it difficult to show love, empathy and compassion for other people. In general, they are not comfortable with intimacy.

I wouldn't agree with this one completely. I don't mind intimacy with the few people who are really special to me.

People with low EQs also have trouble communicating with other people. They struggle with getting in tune with themselves and those around them. They often say the wrong thing at precisely the wrong moment. They have trouble showing their anger or dealing with anger directed at them. They are either not able to stand up for themselves when hurt or upset, or they fly completely off the handle when confronting others.

Yes again, so very true. :cry: :? :(

They find it very hard to admit when they are wrong. When they do make mistakes they are often unable to apologise to those they hurt.

Well, being "wrong" is a matter of definition.

I am often very apologetic if I have hurt somebody but this has a down side when people try and use emotional blackmail against me and make things my fault when they really aren't.

People with a low EQ generally have low levels of self-worth.

Yes, no matter what I do, the spectre of low self-worth is lurking there to trip me up.

They do not like challenges. They shun commitment.

Depends on the situation.

They are afraid of change.

Yes, especially when I am given no control over it. I'm quite happy to make changes myself under some circumstances.

They have trouble staying motivated and focused in the face of setbacks.

Most of the time. I am quite strongly motivated and focused though if it is something I really want to master.

They are not able to set achievable goals for themselves, and often give up trying in the process. They are pessimistic about themselves and their future.

I tend to just drift along in life.

However, one great thing about emotional intelligence is that it’s fluid! A person with a low EQ can increase their EQ at any point of their life!

But do I really want to? I'm not sure.

People with a low EQ should start by learning how to identify their emotions and take responsibility for them.

Why? Is it to make life more convenient for others?

There are many resources to enable them to do this. They can read books about EQ and social skills, find out about anger management courses and communication skills courses, join a support group or see a counsellor.

Bah, humbug!

They can keep a diary of their emotions so that they can ask their friends to help them recognise the things about themselves that need correcting. If they do these things, there is no doubt that they can increase their emotional intelligence and live a healthy, happy life.

Is that so? Next thing, I think I will look out my window and see a few pigs flying by, ha ha.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 8:58 am

Sean wrote:
I scored a 3 on the last EQ test I took. Somehow I doubt that will come as a suprise to anybody.

Why does that not surprise me? ;) I scored a 60 on the first one, but it was only 10 questions, so not very valid. I did not have time to finish the second one, so I didn't even start it. If I do ever get around to finishing it, I'll post what I got here. :0