Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2008, 5:02 pm

Well I only got called for jury duty once but didn't get picked so sat around all morning drinking coffee at the courthouse before being dismissed. I understand, however, that getting out of it can be rather easy, at least in the United States.

For example, one of my family members was rejected for jury duty because it was a rape case and another relative was head of the local National Organization of Women (NOW). The court felt that this would bias her judgement even though this person was not a supporter of NOW. So, you may have some family connections that you could exploit, depending on what the case is about.

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2008, 3:16 am

My late brother told the judge that Jesus talked to him, and would tell him if the defendant was guilty or not.

And they never called him again....

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:33 am

Nice. I'm using that if I ever get called again!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 11:05 pm

I got called up about a month ago. Showed up, watched a short video, and they let us go. Called back the next day, and they said they didn't need us...;) I'm off the hook (state and federal) for 2 years...

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 11:22 pm

Arbie wrote:
I can tell you a trick someone in my family claims to use, though I don't know how effective it really is or the legality of it.

Simply tell them that you do not trust the justice system, that you know that they (the lawyers) can make any lie seem like the truth and will lie and manufacture evidence to convict someone, so you can never in good conscience find anyone guilty of a crime no matter what they (again the lawyers) say or what evidence they seem to have.

Doesn't work here. I wrote that on the original paper. As if out of spite, they called me this time. The other three times I was excused for being pregnant.

And I'll tell the lawyers point blank that my vote is innocent, on any jury, for any crime. I suck at following anything I'm not interested in, and this is a high on the list. Further, I fear retribution, and will also vote not guilty for this reason. So even if I weren't a stay at home mom of two autistic children, I'd still be useless on a jury. Though I'm pretty sure the defense would love me...

PS: I've really enjoyed some of your responses :lol:

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2008, 2:19 am

I have a summons too. Last time I got one I was a nursing mom. Now my daughter is in school, and having no babysitter after school never flys. Here though, if a case ends up being big they move it out of the county, so it isn't unusual to be not needed. I'll find out on the 20th. I know it is "my duty", but I never know what could cause a meltdown. I seldom have them, but I wonder if I could actually handle something like this....

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 2:34 am

If I were you I would do anything to get out of it. My experience was so bad, I'm never doing that again.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

17 Feb 2008, 2:56 am

After I got out of jury duty the first time, I moved away and didn't update my address. Hopefully there's not a warrant out for me now. :P

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 2:49 pm

Call back. Use the term "primary caregiver". If they ask you to write a letter, keep them on the phone while you address the envelope (“Who do I send this to?”). Keep them on the phone while you write the letter (“What exactly do I need to say?”).

Remember, the person answering the phone is not a decision maker, they are a phone answerer. Ask who else you can speak with. Usually they are really friendly about excusing you. Sounds like you received a rotten person on the phone. Call back. Time is limited.

I served on a jury last year and received another notice. I called, told them I served and received a dismissed letter several weeks later.

Remember everyone; it is always important when you fill out your questionnaire to ask to be excused or rescheduled. Disability, caregiver, etc. If you do end up in court and selected, you can sidebar with the judge to excuse you. Either way a lawyer will toss you if you called a sidebar. However, the trick is to not have to even get that far.

If need be, you can call that morning and tell them you are sick and to reschedule you. As long as you call, you are safe.

Once I showed up to Grand Jury in the middle of a freezing cold winter in shorts and a tee shirt. I had a bandana in my hair and was reading a book about witches. I kept my sunglasses on the entire time. They let me go after an hour. Another time I showed up in a leather jacket, short black skirt and high black boots. I lasted three hours that day.

Just an FYI, if you do have an opportunity to serve, it can be a very good experience. I spent 20 years avoiding, and I served (only one day, but still) and it was such an interesting process. Stay away from murder trials. I can’t imagine that type…

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

A mate once told me the quickest way is to mention "this country went to hell when they outlawed public executions".

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 6:48 pm

What I said was I have Aspergers syndrome and that prevents me from getting along with people and coming to a consensus as my world view is at odds with the rest of the population.

Its the truth. Its what they want to know. They dont want jurors that cannot come to consensus. Thats a hung jury or a retrial and neither the judge nor either lawyer wants that.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 6:51 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
I've always wanted to spoof a jury interview. I want to go in for the interview and start sporadically twitching and sputtering,

"Guilty!"

"Hang-em!"

"Guiltyguilty!"

Tourette's style, while otherwise acting very normal and serious.

Yes, I would.

But I've never been called. :(

Good fortune,

- Icarus listens to his heart, not to laws...

Ahahaha, if I ever get selected for Jury duty, that's so how I'm getting out of it.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 6:53 pm

DUH! Just wear your Star Trek uniform and you'll get out of it. :)

I feel jealous I vote but I've never been called for jury duty. I saw 12 angry men looks like fun!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:45 pm

I have to go for jury duty tomorrow. I hope I can get out of it. If I don't work, I don't get paid, simple as that. Besides that, I don't want to miss work for any reason. I enjoy my job.

That_Other_Guy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2008, 12:03 am

I've been up for jury duty before, but all the cases got settled before the day ended. Apparently, us just showing up is usually enough to get most people to settle out of court.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 5:05 am

I got called up once, got a postponement, then a couple months later after getting the postponement summons, I told them I had asperger's and gave them a rx from my doctor confirming it. They gave me another postponement while they evaluated my situation, and I never got another summons or heard from them ever again.