Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 2:23 pm

I got selected for jury duty. I don't know how they think I can possibly do this. I have two young autistic children, weekly therapy sessions for my son, preschool for my daughter and I am their only daytime caregiver. I have no local family and we have no babysitters (I can't even go to dinner out with my husband, much less spend a DAY away from my kids doing this).

I called and told them this. They said I have to write a letter to the judge and ultimately it's up to him. So what, they're going to force me to come anyhow? I hope they enjoy me serving with two autistic kids on my lap because that's what's going to have to happen. This is ridiculous.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 2:43 pm

I can tell you a trick someone in my family claims to use, though I don't know how effective it really is or the legality of it.

Simply tell them that you do not trust the justice system, that you know that they (the lawyers) can make any lie seem like the truth and will lie and manufacture evidence to convict someone, so you can never in good conscience find anyone guilty of a crime no matter what they (again the lawyers) say or what evidence they seem to have.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 3:00 pm

Judges are usually understanding about things like this. Just say what you wrote here, unemotionally, factually and politely. Ask for her/his help. It will work out OK.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 3:22 pm

Arbie wrote:
I can tell you a trick someone in my family claims to use, though I don't know how effective it really is or the legality of it.

Simply tell them that you do not trust the justice system, that you know that they (the lawyers) can make any lie seem like the truth and will lie and manufacture evidence to convict someone, so you can never in good conscience find anyone guilty of a crime no matter what they (again the lawyers) say or what evidence they seem to have.

That is what I use, because I was falsely convicted once by the lies of a police officer and perpetuation of the lies by the Commonwealth's Attorney.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 3:28 pm

Trigger11 wrote:
Arbie wrote:

That is what I use, because I was falsely convicted once by the lies of a police officer and perpetuation of the lies by the Commonwealth's Attorney.

Is it effective?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 3:46 pm

Your situation is enough to exclude from jury duty mikomi if you are the only caretaker of the children (aka husband works and you're a homemaker). If you and your husband work then the court will not believe your claim since you already leave the children in someone else's care while you work.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 4:54 pm

Arbie wrote:
Trigger11 wrote:
Arbie wrote:

Is it effective?

I've never been asked again! :wink:

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:19 pm

Trigger11 wrote:
Arbie wrote:
Trigger11 wrote:
Arbie wrote:

Is it effective?

I've never been asked again! :wink:

Theres your plan B mikomi.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:41 pm

I was called for jury duty once. There was an initial selection part where the judge asked if I had good reason why I couldn't be on a jury. I explained that I was taking care of a friend who was permanently injured and needed me to bring in food and medicines and take her to doctors' appointments. He let me off with no further word.

Write up your situation as you explained it here and you should be fine.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:48 pm

Write a letter. If you can prove that something like this would cause a hardship for both you and your children, which you certainly can, I don't see any problems.

If it doesn't work...take the kids...personally, I'd give them an hour tops with my son asking questions every 3 seconds before they would tell me to please, PLEASE go home. :lol:

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 6:20 pm

Beenthere wrote:
Write a letter. If you can prove that something like this would cause a hardship for both you and your children, which you certainly can, I don't see any problems.

If it doesn't work...take the kids...personally, I'd give them an hour tops with my son asking questions every 3 seconds before they would tell me to please, PLEASE go home. :lol:

"Whats this mommy?"

"Whats that mommy"
"mommy"
"mommy"
"hey hey!"

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

14 Feb 2008, 7:34 pm

I've always wanted to spoof a jury interview. I want to go in for the interview and start sporadically twitching and sputtering,

"Guilty!"

"Hang-em!"

"Guiltyguilty!"

Tourette's style, while otherwise acting very normal and serious.

Yes, I would.

But I've never been called. :(

Good fortune,

- Icarus listens to his heart, not to laws...

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 7:55 pm

I'd have to tell them that I can't tell a liar from the tail end of a tree frog.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:10 pm

I had to go about 5 years ago and got picked to be on a murder trial jury. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. There were people in the jury room who were yelling, we were locked in there and could not get out, and at the end I was the only one who voted not guilty and everyone else ganged up on me (not in a nice or quiet way). If you had been there you would have seen there was no way the person was guilty.

Everyone was all swept up with all this emotion and hate and anger and the facts clearly showed he was not guilty because of self defense. At one point I even asked everyone in the room to pretend they were at a movie, this happens, then this, then if they could go beyond the point where the murder happened, pretend there was no murder, move one frame ahead and then two frames, what would have happened next?

They all said the victim would have killed the man on trial if the frames moved on a bit further. So the man was attacked, he did something to protect himself that was not meant to kill the other man, the other man died. If the attacker had not died, the man on trial would have died. That's self defense. No one cared.

If I am ever called again for jury duty I will do or say anything to get out of it. I went thinking this will be great, maybe I can help and I hope I get picked. Never again.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 9:16 pm

Here is a link I think is appropriate to this conversation too.

In case you end up having to be on the jury.

http://www.fija.org/

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2008, 5:02 pm

Well I only got called for jury duty once but didn't get picked so sat around all morning drinking coffee at the courthouse before being dismissed. I understand, however, that getting out of it can be rather easy, at least in the United States.

For example, one of my family members was rejected for jury duty because it was a rape case and another relative was head of the local National Organization of Women (NOW). The court felt that this would bias her judgement even though this person was not a supporter of NOW. So, you may have some family connections that you could exploit, depending on what the case is about.