Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Memories
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2008, 11:27 pm

I'm a bit hesitant in posting this because I've never told anyone...

I dropped out of high school in August 07', in early grade 10. Previously I had been in another high school, well, sort of, but I was in was in a "special" class where I had a bunch of adults helping me through my school work. Also, there were some other kids like me in there who had Asperger's. I made it though two years there but after that, my mom decided to move so she could be closer to her job. I had to change schools, so she put me in a public school without the special class. Of course it was nothing like my old school, I had no help and no friends...it wasn't easy and now I'm pretty much terrified of high school. Everything about it, the environment, the way the classes work, the expectation, and especially the people. In my other school I never really had to deal with all that stuff, which I guess wasn't a good thing because I wasn't prepared. Even though they did teach *some* social skills.

Whenever people come up to me I have no idea what to say and I get very nervous, like my heart will start beating very fast. Most of the time I get scared and walk away and then of course people started to pick on me. I made it through a month( :lol: ) but everyday it just got worse and worse so I gave up.

I'm not in any type of schooling at the moment, but I'm hoping to find an alternative, because I still want to graduate. Just curious if there's anyone out there who's been through the same type of experience? :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 12:02 am

I dropped out of school, too. It was just too much for me mentally and emotionally. I always feel nervous whenever people ask me things like, "How's school going?" or, "Why aren't you in school right now?" I never want to tell them the truth for fear of them branding me as just another teenage loser, or worse, making me go back. For the first couple of months after I dropped out, I had recurring nightmares about being forced back into school. It was horrible.

Last edited by IdahoRose on 16 Feb 2008, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 12:03 am

I was taken out of school. Too much stress.

Memories
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2008, 12:21 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I dropped out of school, too. It was just too much for me mentally and emotionally. I always feel nervous whenever people ask me things like, "How's school going?" or, "Why aren't you in school right now?" I never want to tell them the truth for fear of them branding me as just another teenage loser, or worse, making me go back. For the first couple of months after I dropped out, I had recurring nightmares about being forced back into school. It was horrible.
I feel nervous too when people as me that cause nobody knows except my mom. When my other family and friends ask that like "how's school" I always lie to them and say "school's good". I hate it, but I really don't want them to be ashamed of me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2008, 1:33 am

I dropped out of high school in 10th grade. I just couldn't take the crowds, the noise, the confusion and the stress. I did get my GED later, though, and after a long time, went to college and got my Associates Degree.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2008, 3:50 am

Well, there's always the GED I guess (which maybe you can study for by yourself at home, or over the internet, or something), in some states there's better alternatives to the GED (like in california, I think they have some other test you can do instead of the GED that's better)

Alternatively you could try finding a different school, I guess. Maybe one where the atmosphere is different?

Or there's always community college. If you're looking towards going to college, then you can always go to a CC and transfer after a year or two. Things are a lot different in college than in high school (even in community college)

Personally I hated high school too but I find college is much better and people are much more likely to let you be however you want and no one really tries to pressure or force you to do anything you don't want to do.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Feb 2008, 8:05 am

Don't worry about it...dropping out of school is not the worst thing that can happen. I dropped out of high school in my first year there! I was 13 at the time and until I was 15 I spent my time running/hiding from the Ministry of Education who were trying to fine my mother for letting me stay home. School is not a nice place and I don't blame you for leaving.
I think alternative education would be good for you. You don't want to waste your potential.
I wasted my potential and if I went back to school I would be working in a classroom full of 13 year olds as I am so behind which would make it even worse for me.

At school, I was never in any "special" classes. Actually, I take that back. I was in a special ed class when I was in middle school and was 11 years old.
Anyway...what i'm going to say is that just because you left school it doesn't mean that you can't succeed and what ever you do...DO NOT give up trying to graduate. I did and regret it everyday...i'm sure you would, too.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 10:23 pm

Is homeschooling an option?

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:14 pm

I am sorry you left school, yet please get a GED.