Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2008, 4:23 pm

I'm 18. I don't know if I count as a teen, but I'm still in high school.

For some reason, I hated myself for being an AS. I look at normal kids talking and playing football and games together. You look ar yourself and you have no one to be with. Have you ever dreamed of being them, just like them? Or would you rather be an aspie. I wanted to be like them for a change.

I have a question.

What's the difference between and Aspie teen and a NT teen? What about Adults?

Is it better to be an aspie?

oblekis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 4:36 pm

I had an awful time in highschool. I am NT, but I did not 'fit in' anywhere. I walked the halls with my head down, drudging along...not wanting to be there. I skimmed by with barley passing grades. (I found out when I was 19 that I had a form of epilepsy. I would space out alot...mostly when reading a book, or in class. therefore the bad grades)

I sometimes wished I was popular, but it would soon fade, because I hated how the popular people treated others.

I really dont know if it is better to be NT or AS. But one thing I have finally found out in my 37 years of age....is to love yourself. It took me 37 years to be able to do that. I finally love me, and who I have become.

Ive read alot of posts here, and alot of AS here are depressed, and I dont want to make light of that. I know it is an issue with alot of AS to have depression. I dont know what it is like to be AS, only NT (even tho I feel like I do have some AS traits!).

All I am trying to say is, just be yourself! :)

oblekis

16 Feb 2008, 4:41 pm

oops, I hope its okay that I posted here. I posted off of the home page side bar on the right.
I just noticed that this is the Adolescent Asperger Forum.

Sorry if I stepped in your territory! :oops:

RohrbachDS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2008, 6:00 pm

I often find myself looking at other [NT] people in school and wishing I was them, but honestly, if given the chance to be one of them or remain an aspie, I think I would remain an aspie.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 8:26 pm

Im guessing this is rather pessimistic upon my part. I have many times wished I was normal. Its been a huge struggle for me with things socially my entire life. In highschool I was pretty much a loner for the most part. Coming into college, Ive been through so much situations that I didnt know how to handle. Because of my AS, I drove one of my friends away who was really important to me. I just see this ease amongist many NT's in just know how to handle themselves correctly socially. I stumble more then your normal person. People really dont get that about me. They see how I can struggle to some degree, they tell me you should do this, that, whatever. They dont know how much harder it is to do certain things then your normal person. Things just got really confusing what was going on around me. I dont know how I should correctly handle certain situations.

On the otherhand, I dont want to give up myself or be treated like a child.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2008, 8:27 pm

When i was in school,i hated being there and i hated being at home. i didn't know about AS but i made the decision early on that if that stage of my life was already a loss id make the most use of it i could and make the mistakes early and get the humiliation out of the way early. i continued making an ass of myself into the first year of college but eventually made friends i share interests with. life isn't perfect but it's not bad.
my advice is picture the life you want and work towards it. i can get better after college. and if you can hang around with open minded people, they judge less.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

Chimchar wrote:

For some reason, I hated myself for being an AS. I look at normal kids talking and playing football and games together. You look ar yourself and you have no one to be with. Have you ever dreamed of being them, just like them? Or would you rather be an aspie. I wanted to be like them for a change.

I have a question.

Yes, I have dreamed of being an NT teen. If given the choice, though, I would stay an aspie. I like being myself, i just don't like how others treat me.

Asking whats the difference between an aspie teen and a NT teen is like asking whats the difference between an asian teen and a african-american teen. There will be infact behavioral differences, but on the inside...we are all people and ALL want acceptance.
I don't think it's better or worse to be an aspie...I say, we are all different people, with different strengths and different weaknesses, different likes and dislikes and different goals for the future.
Does it really matter who is better, though? Answer: I think not...as no one is better than anyone else.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 1:38 am

It's really tempting to wish to be NT, but in the end, I know I want to stay the way I am. I like who I am, and I don't know how different my life would be if I was NT.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 10:14 am

Out of curiosity, why would you rather be an aspie? I just started my research on it after realizing that everything I do points to the disorder. Sorry if I offended anyone.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 12:11 am

Chimchar wrote:
Out of curiosity, why would you rather be an aspie? I just started my research on it after realizing that everything I do points to the disorder. Sorry if I offended anyone.

There is beauty in chaos (eg black holes, punk rock). Maybe go on a gluten-free diet if you are really serious about taming the social scattergeist. We will go on it together.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2008, 1:27 am

Chimchar wrote:

The main reason for me is simply because I don't know how different my life would be. Despite having AS and not having many friends, I am happy right now. Don't fix what isn't broken, you know what I mean?

Pez201

18 Feb 2008, 9:23 am

Chimchar wrote:

I have a question.

I guess it's like a lot of things. It has it's problems and benefits.

As for differences between Aspie and NT teens in high school, what I noted was that NT teens will do things to gain approval or others, even if they don't want to do it. Not that Aspie teens don't want to be popular - everyone wants to be accepted - but we're not willing to do things to make ourselves more popular with a bunch of people who, lets face it, we really don't care for anyway.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2008, 11:14 am

I asked this question because I thought. After learning the differences between an aspie and a NT. I could learn more about myself as an aspie.

What do they have what I don't have, vice versa.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 3:26 pm

I am an NT teen and I behave in a manner much more akin to that of an AS teen, I don't go to parties or date, and I would much rather stay home and read about things that interest me. While the nature of AS can lead to fairly-accurate generalizations, it's really up to the individual.

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 7:32 am

oblekis wrote:
oops, I hope its okay that I posted here. I posted off of the home page side bar on the right.
I just noticed that this is the Adolescent Asperger Forum.

Sorry if I stepped in your territory! :oops:

dont worry you havent. anyway guys post in the womans forum.

ive felt like i wanted to be NT when im really depressed but it goes pretty quickly as im happy with who i am and i wouldnt want to live the lie they are living.

Disc-Thrower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2008, 9:47 am

i get that too when i'm depressed, i wonder what it'd be like to be one of them, and not stick out of the crowd. though i'm sure it'll just be a whole new set of problems. the grass always seems greener on the other side dun it?