Page 6 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 6:36 pm

Whatever way you cut it, a pair of jerks...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 2:19 am

gwenevyn wrote:
I didn't say that I was offended. I said I look down on these guys' actions. They trolled on youtube, then they came here to troll some more with the express purpose of getting people riled up. The intent was malicious. Check out the latest post from SteveRawx. They lied along the way and they think it's hilarious that anybody believed them. That's not talent. I laughed when I saw the video, too--but not with the makers. Comparing these guys to Mel Brooks is an insult to Mr. Brooks.

"It is always a matter of how much you can take" implies that those who engage in or appreciate stunts like these are somehow braver or stronger than those who do not. Judging by the quality of the output we've seen from these fellows, that's a real laugh.

1) I found the video stupid and a waste of my minute.

2) I don't think anyone believed them, and if they did well they are pretty much lacking in intellect.

3) I didn't compare them to Mel Brooks. I was making a point that Mel Brooks' movies are very insensitive in "today's age", yet there is humor in it.

4) Yes, I do believe people that cried over these comments to be "weaker". The video wasn't as offensive as people made it out to seem. The outcry was beyond absurdity.

5) Ofcourse they are going to lie. "Hey, asperger's a lie! But you know what? So are we!!" Yeah, that would have worked.

6) To claim it was malicious just further proves #4.

SteveRawx wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:
Andrew Northall, "Steve Rawx" et al. For an encore why don't you do it again? This time targeting skinheads, gays, jews, and blacks. Make sure your home address and phone number is available publicly again. Come on boys! Do your thing!

That would be insensitive; homophobic; anti-Semetic and racist respectively. Why on Earth would I want to offend people with real problems??

lololol. This guy is a Rodney King's riot!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2008, 6:05 am

gwenevyn wrote:
oscuria wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

Well done! There's no faster road to humility than realizing that you're much better than those high and mighty folks. Image

If the makers of the video are pleased that people were misled and offended, then they're not just trying to be humorous--they're doing it at the expense of others. I have no admiration or respect for that, lulz or no lulz.

I'm assuming you hate Mel Brooks' movies?

How many jokes out there are not against the expense of others? Do you intend for me to watch Christian comedy? Please, don't.

There is lulz in insulting, in laughing at what shouldn't be laughed at. It is always a matter of how much you can take. This attempt by the creators of said websites was done without malicious intent. Who here is truthfully hurt by it? I hope you get help for the pain you received.

My View: I laugh because I am alive, because I can see the world for what it is.

I didn't say that I was offended. I said I look down on these guys' actions. They trolled on youtube, then they came here to troll some more with the express purpose of getting people riled up. The intent was malicious. Check out the latest post from SteveRawx. They lied along the way and they think it's hilarious that anybody believed them. That's not talent. I laughed when I saw the video, too--but not with the makers. Comparing these guys to Mel Brooks is an insult to Mr. Brooks.

"It is always a matter of how much you can take" implies that those who engage in or appreciate stunts like these are somehow braver or stronger than those who do not. Judging by the quality of the output we've seen from these fellows, that's a real laugh.

This guy pretty much sums it up at the end of his vid:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2txE3fvYo[/youtube]

My God I would rather watch the aspringers BS vids then that ever again, heh.

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2008, 10:03 am

I understand the whole thing was a joke but I didn't find it particularly funny, or offensive.

I guess some of you guys don't read small print. The website for this video has a disclaimer saying the whole thing was a joke designed to wind people up.

Here's the link to the disclaimer

http://www.theaspergerslie.com/disclaimer.html

I can understand how this could cause offence, and how it could convince uneducated people that Aspergers doesn't really exist, but so what. There will always be real idiots around more dangerous then the posters of these videos and you're never going to convince everyone to think the same way about any one subject, no matter how hard you try.

Relax and just let it go.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:24 am

ebec11 wrote:
Thelostcup wrote:
Why are you lashing out against this guy?

This is obviously a joke and you are only serving to prove his point by trying to censor it.

It's not funny though! If even one person believes this crap, it's not a joke.quote]

And people will unfortunatly believe most anything they find online. Ever heard that you swallow 8 spiders pr year? That was made up to prove that people would believe the strangest things, if they came across it online. Have you ever heard someone repeat this as fact? I have, and I have corrected it each time.

I was not excatly angered by this, but I most definitely didn't find it funny. It doesn't matter if it is a joke or not, all that matters is how it is percieved.
Will the average internet stroller check to see if all the "experts" are legitimate, or will they just accept it?

I don't know about you, but I have very little faith in the critical mind of the average person on the internet!

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 10:59 am

Anders sums it up well. The disclaimer was a late addition after the wags were reported to the police and a couple of folks said they were going to pay them a visit. I wasn't particularly upset,offended etc. by the vid or site. I was offended by the presence of these couple of jerks on the same planet as me. Some people may well not get the "joke" and go and nut 'em - There's some Bad Aspies lurking out there...

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:32 am

AndersTheAspie wrote:
And people will unfortunatly believe most anything they find online.

That's the reason Snopes.com exists.

However I don't think that this Asperger's Lie garbage will be believed. Lying that you're a child psychology expert (and at the same time a filmmaker. If you were a filmmaker, you'd think that the production values on these videos would be higher. or at least exist. I mean anyone can make a "video" out of Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Paint and some limited experience in Flash, but this is ridiculous) will get some people to believe you are one (because it SOUNDS credible). The same thing happens when frat boys vandalize Wikipedia (and i've seen some bad ones: blanking the page, death threats, calling random bands emo and new articles that are clear violations of WP:NFT that wastes the time of WP:AFD gadflies like myself) and the reputation of the site goes down.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

20 Feb 2008, 1:00 pm

oscuria wrote:

2) I don't think anyone believed them, and if they did well they are pretty much lacking in intellect.

oscuria wrote:
5) Ofcourse they are going to lie. "Hey, asperger's a lie! But you know what? So are we!!" Yeah, that would have worked.

Wait a sec... you don't think that anybody really believed them.... but if they'd told the truth, that would have been bad because then nobody would have bought the lie.... :scratch: That sort of reminds me of another logical inconsistency I recently saw:

"This site was made by two friends who have a habit of seeing how far they can take something."

juxtaposed with

"This site is not intended to and has never been intended to offend anybody."

So they actually believed they could con people into believing hateful statements without offending anybody along the way. Riiight.

SteveRawx wrote:
FYI: You're a bunch of wackjobs....you were trolled and it worked.

^^^
I can see why you'd defend his motives.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 1:08 pm

And they [not the joke-wads responsible, but just other historical type folks] said that Hitler had Jewish ties in his background too . . .

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:30 am

The person who made the vid is a joke but for his vid its very amateurish.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:28 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
It might be because he was impersonating a doctor [a criminal offense] and someone [guess who], reported him to the police.

So he was actually trying to say he was a doctor then, with no disclaimer whatsoeve saying it was an entirely fictional portrayal with made up facts?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:36 pm

Strapples wrote:

FUEIOWYOVY*(#YTPV*&(@#YOITUVY@P#(*Y&TV#PT(PI#VYPT(Y
#&V*(#Y*(VY@*#YP(*VY@#*(YCN(*Y@*(BYCIY@#*(OBHX*Y@*(Y*&Y&YROV&YY

i haz gone crazy...

this video is BULLSHITE

I'm just going to agree, so much cussing in my head right now. :evil:

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

21 Feb 2008, 12:56 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:
It might be because he was impersonating a doctor [a criminal offense] and someone [guess who], reported him to the police.

So he was actually trying to say he was a doctor then, with no disclaimer whatsoeve saying it was an entirely fictional portrayal with made up facts?

At first, yes. The disclaimer was added later.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:35 pm

A further clarification: this is a joke - What is red and sits in the corner? A naughty strawberry. This is not a joke - you all are a bunch of workshy malingering fakes. It does not matter whether I have AS or not; neither is funny.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:54 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
A further clarification: this is a joke - What is red and sits in the corner? A naughty strawberry. This is not a joke - you all are a bunch of workshy malingering fakes. It does not matter whether I have AS or not; neither is funny.

I agree with everything you say.

Aside from the fact that that "naughty strawberry" joke is funny, but at least it's a joke.

TheAspergersLie isn't funny.

Bill Hicks, on the other hand, was the funniest human being to ever walk the planet. HE was funny.

Heck, Dane Cook is funnier than the supposed "joke" that is TheAspergersLie.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:06 pm

I agree, Bill Hicks was funny. I think though, that the strawberry joke is only funny, in as much as it's spectacularly unfunny...ie it's primary presentation is non-humourous and that any humour stems from the congugate joke+unfunnyness. I think we should invite nominalist over to arbitrate...