Why Your Workouts Don't Work (About.com)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:51 pm

Why Your Workouts Don't Work

How to Change Your Workout to Get the Results You Want
Did you know the average health club exerciser quits after just six months for one of the following reasons:
1. Not Enough Time
2. Not Seeing Results
Sadly, most people become frustrated and quit exercising before they see any real results. But it's not surprising given the common mistakes many people make with their training programs. Are you making these workout mistakes?

Common Reasons Your Workouts Don't Work

- Emerson

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:53 pm

I do about half an hours worth of exercise bike riding every day, and have been doing so more or less consistently since early December. It has been noticeable to most people around me but myself.

On sabbatical...

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:06 am

honestly, if you havent seen effects from six months (!) of a workout, somethings severely askew.
the article pointed out some things that need checking, for sure.

i have been down that road, too... i just did the machines as ordered, put on more weight as i progressed, but overall, my fitness level started really growing once i didnt visit the gym anymore and took matters in my own hands.

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2008, 6:56 pm

In my case, I stopped seeing weight loss results because of a slower metabolism caused by the former weight loss. In 6 months, I had lost 30 pounds, then for the next 4-5 months, I stopped seeing and more weight loss even though I was lifting weights 3 times a week, 1 hour a day, and walking 3 miles 3 times a week. I wasn't doing anything wrong in my diet and workouts ( I ate a 2000-2500 calorie a day diet...no starvation..eating normally, but healthily) Lighter people have slower metabolisms than heavier people. I did eventually lose 5 more pounds after ramping up the exercise a bit, with less rest between sets. I had gotten lazy and my workouts had extended to 2 hours. Then I increased the poundage and sets and a 3 day flu also helped me lose more weight.

So as you lose weight, one needs to increase the intensity or difficulty of the workouts to compensate for the lower metabolism. Restricting calories even more might not be a good idea, since every study has claimed that diets don't work. Eat normal sized meals, but eat healthy, with lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:28 am

I enjoy my workout. I haven’t gotten tired of it since I first did it, at least 4 years ago. The only thing that stops me from doing it is when the weather is either wet, windy or a combo of both. I’ve only been able to do it a couple of times so far this month and I really think my moods are suffering, plus I’m starting to feel physical reactions to stress. I’m sohhhh looking forward to the return of nice weather. It can’t come soon enough.