Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:47 pm

ProfessorX wrote:
From what I've came across in regards to famous people part of the spectrum I'll go along with American President-
Thomas Jefferson and Wolfang Amadeus Mozart oh, and possibly actress Daryl Hannah and comedian Dan Akroyd..

Professor X

Wow, Daryl Hannah, I always liked the roles she played in like the mermaid in Splash.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2008, 12:36 am

Craig Nicholls, the lead singer of a very popular Australian band called "The Vines".
He is very gifted musically and creatively.. He also composes his own music/songs.

He admits to having had problems with touring because of Asperger's.. since touring is very stressful for someone who has difficulty with change and also there's the stress of having to deal with the media, fans, etc.. I would think touring constantly with all that added stress of media, etc.. would be difficult for anyone even without having Asperger's...

Here are some links telling more about Craig and why he ended up publically admitting that he has Asperger's.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... ines_x.htm

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1493980 ... _the.jhtml

I think this educated a lot more people about Asperger's who may never have even heard of it. Also, I remember reading something about the band staying together, but that they just wouldn't tour very much at all...

I just realized that Craig Nicholls was the subject of a thread here on WP pretty recently:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt56104.html

I imagine his name came up here alot when it all first hit the news too.. I wasn't here then.. (I wish I could get the search feature to work for me... )

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 7:11 am

MusicMaker1 wrote:
I just realized that Craig Nicholls was the subject of a thread here on WP pretty recently

Tell me about it. It seems like almost every female here is infatuated with him!(I say female because it seems like 14-54 it is the same appeal) I wish I knew what the special attraction was about.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:45 am

Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Though on the other hand he was raised by a very strange mother by whom he wasn't allowed to go outside because according to her words, such an ugly child was he that his peers would be afraid of him. Such a way of upbringing could shape his personality. He was oversensitive to loud noises, they caused migraine in him every time - was it a sensory issue common in AS?

Speaking of famous writers suspected of AS, Emily Dickinson doesn't seem a candidate. She seemed to be relatively normal child and teen in comparison with her adult age which calls the suspicions in question. AS shouldn't be treated as a bag into which all those whose personality is perceived far from the norm are being put.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:52 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
MusicMaker1 wrote:
I just realized that Craig Nicholls was the subject of a thread here on WP pretty recently

Tell me about it. It seems like almost every female here is infatuated with him!(I say female because it seems like 14-54 it is the same appeal) I wish I knew what the special attraction was about.

I wish I knew this too 8O I even had to google his name to check him because the only thing about him I had known before was that such a person exists. Maybe females like his youthful innocent looks. Big deal :? Intelligent and morose Lovecraft was way cooler than a Nicholls :roll:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:31 am

Irulan wrote:
I wish I knew this too 8O I even had to google his name to check him because the only thing about him I had known before was that such a person exists. Maybe females like his youthful innocent looks. Big deal :? Intelligent and morose Lovecraft was way cooler than a Nicholls :roll:

Yeah, I don't even understand about lovecraft.

Spinetrak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2008, 8:57 am

General George S. Patton. Maybe...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 9:04 am

Odin wrote:
oscuria wrote:
I don't believe any post-mortem diagnosis of AS. Frankly there are many other disordrs that can fit the bill which is not necessarily conclusive of Asperger Syndrome, one in mind is Schizoid Personality Disorder. So I believe not in anyone's "assurance" at claiming "HE DEFINITELY HAD ASD!" It's bs to me.

IMO "Schizoid Personality" and "Non-Verbal Learning Disorder" are just varieties of AS is the loose sense (autism without speech delays). A somewhat paranoid Aspie with special interests that are not obvious could get a SPD label instead of an AS label very easily.

Well, I wouldn't doubt it, but so far it isn't. They do appear very similar.

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2008, 10:45 am

I've always wondered about James May, the presenter on Top Gear motor show/the programme about wine co-presented with Oz Clark.

He has little fashion sense, likes to live alone, is obsessional about detail, has a quirky sense of humour, always has to do things the same way, collects stuff (watches), is an expert in car facts, seems to be very "still" in his body language compared to the others...hmm...

tomadao
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2008, 1:24 pm

Syd Barret may have had it too. As young, he was too scared to set foot off on street. He spent his last years locked up in Cambridge. He was suspect of bipolar disorder but died without diagnosis. Maybe he was aspie or HFA.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

Roger Bannister has some traits of AS.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2008, 9:27 pm

I believe I read that Dan Ackroyd says he is, and that he has Tourettes.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 11:19 pm

Robert Crumb maybe :?:

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 11:39 pm

I heard Andy Warhol showed some symptoms of AS, don't know if it's true though...

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Mar 2008, 1:27 pm

Salad Fingers!

1. He is preoccupied with tactile sensations; rusty metal, nettles, and grubby taps.
2. He befriends finger puppets. (Episode 2)
3. He is unable to recognize when his companion is bored. . .or dead. (Episodes 3 and 7)
4. He doesn't like being stared at or touched. (Episode 5)
5. His speech is unnecessarily pedantic.
6. He becomes frightened at the sound of the radio and hides in his 'safety cabinet'. (Episode 8)

I think a diagnosis is in order.

Back on subject: Dan Ackroyd is fairly outspoken about having AS. Einstein, Newton, and especially Dickinson, aren't fair game.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

This subject drives me nuts! I disagree with most of these (they had personalities) and don't know anything about the rest. If someone says he or she is autistic, I'm not going to argue about that though.

I think Glenn Gould was said to be autistic. When I was reading biographies I wondered about Greta Garbo and Paul Cezanne. Definitely no to Bill Gates, Einstein, Andy Warhol, Walt Disney . . .

I do a lot of thinking/reading on personality theory, and I'm pretty sure people confuse personality and disability all the time.