Is anyone else just tired of school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2008, 1:58 am

I am in the end of my Junior year in college, going for a BS in Accounting Information Systems. I have gotten to the point where i am simply sick of jumping through the hoops that are required to graduate. The Business porgram here is highly accredited and is therefore also highly strutured (as in I have two 3000 level electives and that is it). I like the work that I will be doing, but some of the business core classes I just don't want to do. Especially since I've been told that any firm I end up with will tell me to forget everything I learned.

I am also in the bind that I can't take a semester off. I have school loans that come due at the same time that I am supposed to graduate. I am tired. I have a year and a half left, (I skipped a couple GE courses and have changed majors twice). I just want to be finished.

Anyone else tired of school?

oh and there's also the knowledge that in order to get my CPA I need another year's worth of school after graduation. Yay. someone shoot me please. (kidding)

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2008, 2:32 am

I used to be, but now it has become my obession in a way. It is getting interesting and I just want to hyperfocus on it alot. My classes may end at 11:30 in the morning but I might be there till 9:30 at night. But I am in engineering so this stuff can be more spontaneous. I guess.

Business is different I infer.You can't really do to many accounting projects and jobs while you are still in school. Some days I just want to get my degree when I have to do tedious homework.

And a question, please don't take this the wrong way. What inpsired you to be an accounting major? I like engineering since I get to make stuff. Why did you want to be an accountant?

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2008, 3:06 am

I hate getting up at 6:00 AM every morning
I hate getting bored out of my mind learning things I don't even think I'll need in the real world.
I'm just weary of school, college will be better though

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 9:23 am

Very tired of school. I can barely complete one year of college without wanting to drop out.

Down side is, without a college degree you either struggle for and settle for a very low paying job or live off somebody else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 9:25 am

And unless your degree is in a math or science-related field, you may have difficulty finding work, especially during recessions.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 9:32 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
And unless your degree is in a math or science-related field, you may have difficulty finding work, especially during recessions.

So how does one who's tired of school seek qualification? :lol: Further education (Masters and phD) is necessary to get a decent (usually) job these days.

There are the so called techincal degrees (two years or less) and I must say those seem much more appealing.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 10:12 am

The degree is as much about the knowledge you gain, as it is about how persistent you were to get it. If college was easy you would not get paid so much more after you graduate.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2008, 12:16 am

The passion I have for accounting is actually in the fraud accounting side.... what I want to do (eventually) is work for the IRS in the Criminal Ivestigative Service sector or work for a large firm in their fraud division. I never ever want to do someone's taxes(hell). Auditing is cool too, but managerial finance and intermediate accounting II (what i am in now) are interesting to learn in class, but not to work out for homework and i am having issues reading the book before class. But the fraud classes are 4000 level so i can't take them yet.

I like the numbers, I can follow the connections, the patterns. this goes here then connects to here and oo thats where this came from.... shouldn't have done that, kinda thing. It is fun. I am not necessarily interested in having a clientele, but working for a single company and doing their books would be interesting (so long as they were working by the book).

SilverProteus wrote:
Very tired of school. I can barely complete one year of college without wanting to drop out.

Down side is, without a college degree you either struggle for and settle for a very low paying job or live off somebody else.

if you are in your first year of college, trust me it gets better. I call my first year and a half stupid years because they made me repeat all those stupid classes i didn't want to do in high school in the first place. (english, history, science, the GE courses, and oh god speech, the horror! ) not to say they aren't interesting to learn, but don't test me on them, cause my brain has more important things to hold.

I am tired now because I am out of money, I had to go through a couple years of that junk, and I am putting myself through college.

Chouchous
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2008, 10:47 pm

I am so tired of school at this point, just finished 5 midterms and I feel I just need a break from studying and school...

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:52 pm

SilverProteus wrote:

And as my economics professors said, the chasm between college-educated income and high-school educated income is wide and actively growing wider.

How is your current semester going? Maybe you should change your major if you aren't enjoying college all that much. What are you studying?

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 12:38 am

i go to art school. i'm a semester away from graduating and i feel like i'm losing my will to live. i have a huge workload because i'm getting all my required classes out of the way this semester (my last semester will be full of electives) and i honestly don't know if i can keep up without developing a crippling addiction to cocaine to keep me awake.

i'm also really starting to resent my classmates in my senior project class. i have to present my ideas to them on a constant basis and they're a bunch of self-important pricks so nothing's ever good enough. i'm just starting to feel like i can't win...

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2008, 1:49 am

jamesohgoodie wrote:
i'm also really starting to resent my classmates in my senior project class. i have to present my ideas to them on a constant basis and they're a bunch of self-important pricks so nothing's ever good enough. i'm just starting to feel like i can't win...

I just learned that i have a senior class that i have to do that involves a group project..... i am dreading it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 1:53 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

And as my economics professors said, the chasm between college-educated income and high-school educated income is wide and actively growing wider.

How is your current semester going? Maybe you should change your major if you aren't enjoying college all that much. What are you studying?

I usually go one semester before I want to change my major. The first time I dropped out after one. the second I held it for another semester and dropped out at two. What's next, going three? :roll:

I don't really know what I'm going to do. I'm making plans still. Nothing's certain yet.

kate27
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2008, 4:09 am

Ugh, me too. I'm a chemistry, no, computer science, no, French, no, avian sciences -- that means birds, no, linguistics, no, Italian, no, psychology major, have dropped out once and am considering doing it again. All I really want to do is hug furry animals. :cat: (And no, I can't go to vet school because I can't get through the science classes -- or have anything close to an acceptable GPA).

BTW, I'm in the middle of my 3rd year too... and just decided on psych yesterday. I should be able to get out by fall 09 if I really gun it... :/

:wall:

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2008, 5:39 pm

Quote:
if you are in your first year of college, trust me it gets better.

I suppose it depends on what subject you are in, because my experience is the polar opposite. My advice to any of you who enjoy English - steer clear. Academic English is an over-intellectualized navel gazing farce, the sole purpose of which is to teach you esoteric jargon and completely useless critical theory. Hemingway was right, "critics are the eunuchs of literature".

As for the necessity of acquiring a four year degree to enhance one's standard of living, that is somewhat true. Unfortunately, in this overeducated era, the four year degree is being called the new high school degree in terms of the wage it commands, making a graduate degree more of a necessity for increased pay. A couple links for your perusal regarding the subject:

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/ ... nuing.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... pay25.html

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2008, 2:58 pm

my biggest beaf with school is that i hove only 1 class realating to my Major ( Special Ed). All the others are Gen eds that really are nothing but reguritiating what i learned in HS core classes, or electives i need to take to be a full time student. math or english were broing in HS, and they're boring in College. My only enjoyable classes are Foundations of Education ( Mainly due to teh Field Exp part), adn American Sign Lang ( Just a fun class).

This is my 6th semester, you think id be done with gen eds. switched majors 4x and the college im in now only accepted the first 32 of 46 credits from the last college.

That and i commute and its a PITA.