AS and Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:54 pm

I have to deal with this on a daily basis at my job. I hate it, I've had to asked more than twice. What gets me is they raise their voice. I have sensative hearing and can hear real well but not their diction. It's like they're slurring their words together. Other than that, loud noise irks me.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2009, 1:21 am

who here has been tested for it and how much did it cost?
it seems I might have it ut I don't think it's serious.
it seems like it could be confused with ADD.
I often can't understand songs and say "what?" to people a lot but lately i try think of what was said and a few secs later realized what they had said.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

jmark13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2009, 2:55 am

I never had trouble with this, but my Dad definitely does, and I'm sure I get AS from his side.

Well, I'm going to say that I do have trouble understanding questions occasionally and often just blank out on very simple things. I don't confuse words or misinterpret or mishear, I just blank out completely on the meaning of the question. I often ask people to repeat themselves word for word. Usually they rephrase, but this just makes things more difficult for me. I just need to hear the exact words twice or several times sometimes.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2009, 4:48 pm

vivinator wrote:
who here has been tested for it and how much did it cost?
it seems I might have it ut I don't think it's serious.
it seems like it could be confused with ADD.
I often can't understand songs and say "what?" to people a lot but lately i try think of what was said and a few secs later realized what they had said.

bump

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2009, 6:46 pm

How long has APD been known about? I went for an ENT referral in 1994 because I was complaining of the symptoms which I now know to be suggestive of APD but the appointment was a total waste of time. No matter how much I explained the symptoms, they were only interested in testing my ability to hear beeps at different frequencies and concluding that I had slight upper partial loss but well within normal limits. So what! That's not what I was there for! I knew damn well that I was hearing almost everything but not filtering speech from background noise and not making out the opening words of what people were saying. I could figure out myself back then that it must be more to do with the brain than with the ear but I didn't know the term "Auditory Processing Disorder" at the time. Was the condition known then? Was it reasonable to expect an ENT consultant to have known about it then?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 9:56 pm

Hear and there topic

My CAPD is definitely getting worse as I get older!

Daughter: Mom! where is my orange mascara?

Me: (Echolalia) Where is my range of motion? 8O :?

Some of these mishearings are even more weird than this!! !

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm

CAPD is a Motherf***er when you have AS. When I'm trying to fill in the blanks for what I misheard, I usually fill it with some weird s**t.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:40 am

I sometimes do even if my ears are doing fine I'll admit that quite often I mis-identify what another person says as well, other people sometimes improperly translate what I say unto them too.. I'm glad to have learned about CAPD..

Thanks..

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

CAPD might be the reason I had my hearing tested over and over and over again when I was in early elementary school.
Later, as I continued to struggle with understanding directions in class, I thought maybe I really needed a hearing aid...and tried to get my parents to get me one...

but hearing-wise....I can be awakened by tiny noises way across the building sometimes....I am hyper-sensitive to all kinds of tiny sounds...it is just understanding what people say that causes me problems.

I have sorta identified that part of it might be that I am sometimes too distracted by my own thoughts and other things happening around me to follow/interpret the string of words they are saying as they put them together.

It is very frustrating when trying to listen to things I really want to listen to...like radio broadcasts....and conversations with people I actually want to speak to.

It is torture when dealing with people I don't want to speak to but have to....

I wonder whether school systems have wised up and started summarily testing kids for CAPD...The way they constantly gave me the earphones test.
I can pass those sound frequency tests with flying colors...

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 11:54 pm

BUMP

Lunar-Lander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2009, 3:52 pm

Sora wrote:
I hear an annoying sound in the background - but can't catch the words even if they're spoken in a manner as clear as the day.

What type of sound? I often get a rapid pulsating sound in my head. If I stop trying so hard to make out the words , the sound will diminish, but then I won't be able to process what's being said....Catch 22.

LL

instead of hanging out in bars.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 4:43 pm

Odin wrote:
BUMP

Doing the bump topic

This is what CAPD can do!!

What exactly is a bump?? :?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 3:22 am

When I am working with a dictaphone, I have to turn it up all the way and have it on slow in order to get was being said on the tape amidst the noise going on in the background in the class and in the college when we were doing the said dictaphone assignments in our law 135 class.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Semi_Lost_Serenity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2010, 7:07 pm

I have APD and HFA (well, they can't conclusively say I have APD because I have HFA, but whatever, it's all semantics - I have both).

I am constantly cracking people up at work because I hear things wrong or transpose words. I officially have my own language :) I now just substitute "thingy" for any word loss - imagine the confusion! For example, "I brought my thingy to work today" gets me several confused looks until I show them the object or describe it lol We all work in cubies (cubicles) and so I can't read anyone's lips. I either have them write down what they want me to do or e-mail it to me. Works 100% easier.

It's very frustrating with the phone - if it's silent, I'm fine but, if there's someone talking in the background, I might as well be deaf :x I discovered unlimited texting and now communicate with friends and family either through text or through online. I think online technology with help the APD person more than any such technology invented so far (well, supposedly, there's also the FM system).

I SO want an FM system but they're very expensive - it's not fair! According to my audiologist, I should be in CAPD therapy and having an FM system but am broke and I don't qualify for any programs because I'm not "disabled enough" or I make too much (before taxes, chah!).

My co-workers are all saying I should write a book about APD and the things I mishear. I don't think there's any books geared towards this subject?

Seriously, having HFA and APD is a pain in the foot - but I use humor to make it easier. I just wish live conversations weren't such a chore!

- Serenity

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 8:12 pm

Yes I missunderstand what people say alot of times.

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280